• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How types trump each other.

NotChip

®™
Here's a thought about psychic vs steel - *twisted soon* - people bend spoons with their mind and that's some kind of well known trait for psychics to do.

Anyway, it more that likely referes to the whole idea of psychics being able to warp peoples minds and steel is inanimate and has no mind. Dark is essentially psychic but from a more evilish point of view but it follows the same rules.
Steel resists ghosts because ghosts aren't mant to be able to interact with any thing structural in our world - they disrupt electronical appliences by interfearing with the electrical currents that power them.

I would say that steel resists Dragons because most dragon moves appear to be more "magical" (Draco meteor / Dragon rage / Dragon breath / Twister / Dragon dance) and Dragons are mostly sen in medievil fantasy backgrounds which features wizards, walocks and sorcerors.
Dragons are like the ultimate rulers in those stories and can be said to rule magic (since in some stories Dragons can resist magic, in others it said they created magic and so on...)
Just like how steel resists psychic, it could be said the same about magic........or the whole "knight in shining armour" idea is a good one.
Knights defeat Dragons, Knights wear steel plated armour.

Last edited:

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'
I don't think I've seen anyone mention Steel(X)>Poison

(X)>=Immunity.

NotChip

®™
Steel can't be poisoned due to its non bio structure. Poisons work by attacking organs and tissue cells, steel doesn't have any of this.
I'm certain I saw someone post it.

Chowza

Cannibals are <3
um...no, no, and no, a fighter is trained in all senses and does not need his sight, therefore, fighting beats dark, same theory for bugs.

Does that make the slightest bit of sense? I'm an insane mastermind, and I have more sense! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maruno

Unfortunately, pokemon is wrong when it comes to Electric, Flying and Ground. A bird in flight can't get electrocuted, because it's not grounded. Electricity finds the quickest way to the ground, so in reality, Flying should be immune, and Ground should be weak. All of a sudden, Gayardos is looking much more exciting.
Perhaps it's a special kind of electricity that's used for attacks (like a special kind of water is used to make the Bubble attack dangerous).

This special electricity doesn't do damage via a current, but inflicts it directly based on what it's touching. For Flying pokémon, the electricity can't go anywhere else, so the pokémon takes the full brunt of it. For Ground pokémon, the electricity easily jumps to the ground, so the pokémon takes none of the electrical damage (hence the immunity). For Water pokémon, the electricity flits between it and water internal/external to it, meaning the electricity is still really close to it (and so does a lot of damage).

I would say that steel resists Dragons because most dragon moves appear to be more "magical" (Draco meteor / Dragon rage / Dragon breath / Twister / Dragon dance)
That's just what I was going to say. Dragons are the pinnacle of magical essence, and metal is the most non-magical thing you can have. Dragon's simply can't cope against it.

Electric does regular damage against Steel. I always wondered about this. If Steel was "hard'n'metallic" then electrocution should be easier. If it just means "harder than Rock" then fair enough, but the name "Steel" is then kinda misleading. But since Fire is super effective against it and is not very effective against Rock, I'd say there's definitely a metallic element to Steel pokémon (rather than just being very hard). Therefore Electric should do more damage against it.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Perhaps it's a special kind of electricity that's used for attacks (like a special kind of water is used to make the Bubble attack dangerous).

This special electricity doesn't do damage via a current, but inflicts it directly based on what it's touching. For Flying pokémon, the electricity can't go anywhere else, so the pokémon takes the full brunt of it. For Ground pokémon, the electricity easily jumps to the ground, so the pokémon takes none of the electrical damage (hence the immunity). For Water pokémon, the electricity flits between it and water internal/external to it, meaning the electricity is still really close to it (and so does a lot of damage).

That's just what I was going to say. Dragons are the pinnacle of magical essence, and metal is the most non-magical thing you can have. Dragon's simply can't cope against it.

Electric does regular damage against Steel. I always wondered about this. If Steel was "hard'n'metallic" then electrocution should be easier. If it just means "harder than Rock" then fair enough, but the name "Steel" is then kinda misleading. But since Fire is super effective against it and is not very effective against Rock, I'd say there's definitely a metallic element to Steel pokémon (rather than just being very hard). Therefore Electric should do more damage against it.

Isn't steel good against rock? though if somthing was solid steel I guess it wouldn't get as hurt as if it were steel and somthing else.

KaylaTheHedgehog

I am fully aware that Pokemon and real world physics don't get along, here's an interesting conundrum.

Suicune is said to be the embodiment of pure water, yet it retains the same weakness to water as the rest of its type.

Yet, it's the impurities in water that causes it to conduct electricity. Pure water will not conduct electricity. So if the Pokemon world followed the same physical laws that our world does, Suicune should be 100% resistant to Electric attacks.

Silverninetails

Quaaaaagggg~~~
And adding to Kayla, water itself does NOT rust steel OR iron!
As quoted from the internet, rust is "formed by the reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. " So if you leave iron in pure water, it will not rust! Thus gamefreak was right about water being neutral to steel.

The whole "grounding electricity" in the anime is wrong, as electricity needs to enter the ground to complete a circuit and shock the opponent. Thus if you want to avoid being shocked,you should fly as high as possible.

Maruno

And adding to Kayla, water itself does NOT rust steel OR iron!
As quoted from the internet, rust is "formed by the reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. " So if you leave iron in pure water, it will not rust! Thus gamefreak was right about water being neutral to steel.

The whole "grounding electricity" in the anime is wrong, as electricity needs to enter the ground to complete a circuit and shock the opponent. Thus if you want to avoid being shocked,you should fly as high as possible.
You also know that it takes a while to rust iron, right? A Water attack, while powerful, isn't going to be rusting anything. The attack, therefore, would need to batter up the Steel pokémon, and water isn't as good as, say, a solid object at battering anything.

That's how electricity works in the real world, yes, but the Pokéworld doesn't exactly mimic it. It can do whatever it wants with its electricity (as I suggested a few posts earlier).

pokemaster001

Does that make the slightest bit of sense? I'm an insane mastermind, and I have more sense! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

uh, yeah ahahah...
but sometimes in TV/Movies or something someone will train blindfolded
so it kinda does

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
The answer?

Magic.

Seriously, that's the explanation.

Error_404

??? type is neutral to everything as ??? = unknown and you can't exploit any weaknesses if you don't know what your fighting.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
??? is weak to Silph Scope.

FAIL.

scythemantis

Creepy crawly
It always annoyed me that plants and bugs are always weak to fire in video games. Why? They don't burn any more easily than the flesh of any other creature. In fact, many plants are far more resistant to flame...ever try to burn even slightly moist wood?

Bugs exist as a hive mind, like ants, bees, etc. This means there can be hundreds of individuals all working together as one being. Psychics don't have the power to affect that many minds on a grand scale, so no matter how many they do knock out, there are always plenty more bugs to take their place and overwhelm a psychic.

We can see in the Pokemon world however that bug types have individual personalities, and there's no such thing as "hive mind" in the real world, it's a science fiction concept. Bees and ants appear to have an almost simultaneous mind only because they never stop communicating with one another.

Silverninetails

Quaaaaagggg~~~
Speaking of Water and Steel, some industries use Hyper powered water jets that can cut through glass. I'm not that sure about Steel though.

shac

About electric pokemon being able to hurt flying types, it makes complete sense. See when a pikachu strikes pidgeot in the sky, a complete path for the electricity to flow is created from pikachu itself to the pidgeot. An electric circuit does not necessarily need to be grounded. Grounding is just a safety measure - electricity only needs a closed loop to follow. If you consider pikachu to be the source and pidgeot to be the load, an electric flow can be generated from pikachu that goes towards pidgeot and comes back to pikachu again - thus making a full loop! Ground actually absorbs the electricity in some way. That's why your battery gets slowly discharged if you left it on the ground for long. That's why we use Earthing-poles on our houses so that during thunder-storms, the thunder will be captured by the pole and passed on to the ground. Since flying types supposedly remain airborne and do not have any connection to the ground they are weak to electricity. Whereas ground types are themselves made of earth + when they remain on the ground they are actually part of the usual surface and thus can channel electric attacks easily towards the earth surface and thus are immune to electric attacks. I guess, all the other types have some kind of insulator or semi-conductor covering on their body thus making them not-immune to electricity. But they themselves might not be good conductors and so does not suffer much damage. As for water, only distilled water is an insulator. I guess water pokemon are not made of pure water. In any case they must have salt in their bodies since that's a compulsory compound for living beings. And salty water is actually a very good conductor. As for Suicune, just because it can purify water, does not necessarily need to be made of pure water. It still eats foods and almost any food will provide some kind of salt to your body.

See, the pokemon people were right about their type matches. I have actually seen them to make nice scientific use of attacks regarding these stuff. Remember the Winnona episode? Her pelipper was able to channel out electricity to the ground by using steel wing. Since steel is a very good conductor, it will direct the current from pelippers body to the ground thus making it immune to pikachu's electric attacks.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
Psychic and Dark types are scared of bugs. They may seem like big, tough bully-boys, but they're actually very insecure.

Dragons are so magical and powerful that only another Dragon can kill them. Or extreme cold. Because extreme cold kills all.

Maruno

About electric pokemon being able to hurt flying types, it makes complete sense. See when a pikachu strikes pidgeot in the sky, a complete path for the electricity to flow is created from pikachu itself to the pidgeot. An electric circuit does not necessarily need to be grounded. Grounding is just a safety measure - electricity only needs a closed loop to follow. If you consider pikachu to be the source and pidgeot to be the load, an electric flow can be generated from pikachu that goes towards pidgeot and comes back to pikachu again - thus making a full loop! Ground actually absorbs the electricity in some way. That's why your battery gets slowly discharged if you left it on the ground for long. That's why we use Earthing-poles on our houses so that during thunder-storms, the thunder will be captured by the pole and passed on to the ground. Since flying types supposedly remain airborne and do not have any connection to the ground they are weak to electricity. Whereas ground types are themselves made of earth + when they remain on the ground they are actually part of the usual surface and thus can channel electric attacks easily towards the earth surface and thus are immune to electric attacks. I guess, all the other types have some kind of insulator or semi-conductor covering on their body thus making them not-immune to electricity. But they themselves might not be good conductors and so does not suffer much damage. As for water, only distilled water is an insulator. I guess water pokemon are not made of pure water. In any case they must have salt in their bodies since that's a compulsory compound for living beings. And salty water is actually a very good conductor. As for Suicune, just because it can purify water, does not necessarily need to be made of pure water. It still eats foods and almost any food will provide some kind of salt to your body.
That's a very good theory. Electricity flows both to and from the Electric pokémon, but if the attacked pokémon is a Ground type, the electricity flows into the ground instead of back to the Electric pokémon and there's no circuit (ergo no damage). If the pokémon is in the air, there's no possible way it can stop the circuit from forming, so it takes massive damage.

minredd

Cartoonist
One reason Fighting might be weak to Flying is how the heck are the fighting types supposed to get them if they're up in the air? It's like trying to punch a plane in flight.

shac

One reason Fighting might be weak to Flying is how the heck are the fighting types supposed to get them if they're up in the air? It's like trying to punch a plane in flight.

That makes sense other way around. Makes sense why fighting makes half the damage to flying types(does it?*gone to check*-yes, it does). But does not really explain why fighting is weak to flying........there must be something in the flying types of attacks that fighting types can not stand.