• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How were the gen 1 games by the standards of their time?

WaterTypeStarter

These days many people find them too broken. However for their time were they on par with other similar games? Or were they broken even then?

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Keeping in mind that the games were never really designed around a balanced multiplayer... yeah, single player rpgs that can be absolutely steamrolled by abusing certain mechanics and exploits were absolutely par for the course in 1996. Final Fantasy 8 came out 3 years later and can be hilariously destroyed by just stay super low level by card modding everything and then buffing your stats by junctioning powerful magic to your stats.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...

Leonhart

Imagineer
I remember that Psychic-types were pretty overpowered in Gen I, especially Foodin (Alakazam) and Mewtwo). It's disappointing how unbalanced the games were in general given that the Bug-type was quite pathetic since there weren't any strong Bug-type moves at the time, and Dragon-types only had one Dragon-type move [which only caused 40 damage if I remember correctly].

WaterTypeStarter

I remember that Psychic-types were pretty overpowered in Gen I, especially Foodin (Alakazam) and Mewtwo). It's disappointing how unbalanced the games were in general given that the Bug-type was quite pathetic since there weren't any strong Bug-type moves at the time, and Dragon-types only had one Dragon-type move [which only caused 40 damage if I remember correctly].
Still when compared to other contemporary similar games, were they on par or really broken even then?

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
On one hand there weren’t too many RPGs for the game boy so if that genre was your thing Pokemon probably was one of the higher quality jrpg available.

On the other, the game has a ton of bugs, and more seem to be found the more time passes, and given nintendo likes to push a high quality standard (I know they didn’t develop it but they were the publisher and it was their console so one would assume they’d step in somewhere to help), it’s a train wreck of programming that I’m surprised functions as well as it does.

you comparing a game from the late 90's to today sun and moon doesnt seem fair at all and is just wrong for the time they were great and i still enjoy playing them today

pacman000

If I remember right Nintendo & Ape/Creatures inc. did help with the games’ development. GameFreak was mostly a magazine; they’d developed one game, Mendel Palace. They developed a few others while working on Pokemon, but they didn’t have the experience needed to develop an RPG by themselves.

The biggest bugs are esoteric stuff which would take 2-3 specific steps to find, kinda like the Minus World in Super Mario Bros. They should’ve caught the ghost/psychic reversal, & maybe that invisible computer, but beyond those two errors I don’t know of anything which FX the gameplay.

Apparently, the games throw a ton of errors behind-the-scenes, but beta-testers wouldn’t be privy to that.

The games are more complex than the average RPG, since Red/Blue/Green have to track the stats on 100+ player-controlled characters, all of which can be transfered from one game to another.

Honestly, by the time they were released, Red/Green were throw away titles. They’d taken too long to develop; the Game Boy was on its way out. GameFreak, Nintendo, & Creatures inc. probably didn’t expect to get back their whole investment; they probably did the minimum patching needed to release the game. After all, a partial loss is better than a whole loss.

If I remember right Nintendo & Ape/Creatures inc. did help with the games’ development. GameFreak was mostly a magazine; they’d developed one game, Mendel Palace. They developed a few others while working on Pokemon, but they didn’t have the experience needed to develop an RPG by themselves.

The biggest bugs are esoteric stuff which would take 2-3 specific steps to find, kinda like the Minus World in Super Mario Bros. They should’ve caught the ghost/psychic reversal, & maybe that invisible computer, but beyond those two errors I don’t know of anything which FX the gameplay.

Apparently, the games throw a ton of errors behind-the-scenes, but beta-testers wouldn’t be privy to that.

The games are more complex than the average RPG, since Red/Blue/Green have to track the stats on 100+ player-controlled characters, all of which can be transfered from one game to another.

Honestly, by the time they were released, Red/Green were throw away titles. They’d taken too long to develop; the Game Boy was on its way out. GameFreak, Nintendo, & Creatures inc. probably didn’t expect to get back their whole investment; they probably did the minimum patching needed to release the game. After all, a partial loss is better than a whole loss.
why people like you keep bashing gen 1 i dont get it. this is the core of pokemon dont compare a game from late 90's to today game not in gameplay and not in graphics. people keep sayin gen 1 is nostalgia. nostalgia means you just remember it fondly but when you try it's actually not anymore well i play these games to this day and i still enjoy them and i love the graphics

pacman000

...I did not mean to bash the 1st gen games. They are next to my heart & soul. I'd call myself a genwunner, if that term didn't have such a negative connotation. I meant to defend the games.

I used the term throw-away titles; that sounds bad. Forgive me for that. I meant that Nintendo, Creatures Inc, & especially GameFreak, didn't have much of a choice by 1996; they had to either write everything off, or they had to release the games.

WaterTypeStarter

...I did not mean to bash the 1st gen games. They are next to my heart & soul. I'd call myself a genwunner, if that term didn't have such a negative connotation. I meant to defend the games.

I used the term throw-away titles; that sounds bad. Forgive me for that. I meant that Nintendo, Creatures Inc, & especially GameFreak, didn't have much of a choice by 1996; they had to either write everything off, or they had to release the games.
Japanese Blue version was essentially Red and Green fixed?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Speaking of glitches, I seem to remember reading that one of Game Freak's staff members [I forget who] programmed Mew into Red and Green at the last minute after removing the debugging features since that left just enough space for Mew's data. However apparently something like that goes against the core rules of programming a game since it could potentially lead to glitches, so I suspect that some of Red and Green's glitches were caused by Mew's data being inserted into the games without proper playtesting.

Last edited:

there shouldnt be any negative conotation to it thats just some people made up negative thing. some people love gen 3 or 5 or whatever ill be happily called gen wunner and gen 2oer or whatever lol

pacman000

Speaking of glitches, I seem to remember reading that one of Game Freak's staff members [I forget who] programmed Mew into Red and Green at the last minute after removing the debugging features since that left just enough space for Mew's data. However apparently something like that goes against the core rules of programming a game since it could potentially lead to glitches, so I suspect that some of Red and Green's glitches were caused by Mew's data being inserted into the games without proper playtesting.
Shigeki Morimoto. It's such an odd story; Mew was mentioned in-game, at least in the U.S.

Did he rewrite parts of the games' story too, or were those references not present in Japan, or were Mew/Mewtwo supposed to be the same species till he decided to add Mew?

Leonhart

Imagineer
you reminded me the fact that everyone think that green is the so different version to the english but actually red and green are exactly like english red and blue just updated sprites and tiles. the one that is different to the english versions is actually japanese blue
The international Red and Blue are basically half Japanese Red/Green and half Japanese Blue. They use the version exclusives from Red/Green, but the same sprites and template that the Japanese Blue had. So if some people believe that the English Red and Blue are different from the Japanese Green, then they aren't completely wrong.

Sird

Johto native
You imagined your journey and roleplayed a lot of elements. Saving in Pokemon Centers only, giving each Pokemon a chance to battle, getting lost in dark caves and retrying up to ten times to get through it.

It was a great time.

The international Red and Blue are basically half Japanese Red/Green and half Japanese Blue. They use the version exclusives from Red/Green, but the same sprites and template that the Japanese Blue had. So if some people believe that the English Red and Blue are different from the Japanese Green, then they aren't completely wrong.
again besides the sprites jap blue is diff from red and blue eng version

Sanron228

I've always been a fan of Cs. It used to be a lot easier for me. I loved playing it. Now there's a lot of confusion, and you can't figure it out without more information. I researched the information in detail with all cs go skins. I hope that this option will help me to develop my skil in the game. It's important to me.

Last edited: