• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How were you introduced to Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Shadow

A friend of mine asked if I watched Pokemon. I asked what it was about. He explained it, gave me the time, and I began watching.

Shortly thereinafter, the games (Red and Blue, natch) began to crop up around the schoolyard, and everybody began following the cartoon, and the fourth grade would never be the same.

charigod

charizard tamer
it all started with pokemon blue

Emo_Kirlia

Apparently I liked it when I was a little toddler...but I don't remember ever liking it. But one day I found a Pokemon 'Psychic Suprise' VHS Tape(along with my Blues Clues collection and the Rugrats go to Paris) with The Ghost of Maidens Peak, Abra and the Psychic showdown, Bye Bye Butterfree and the Kanto PokeRap on it in my moms armoire and I asked her and she said..."You were the biggest Pokemon fan as a little 3-year-old...your dad actually nicknamed you Pikachu kid!" and I was like "WHAT?!"

Last edited:

Rogue Striker G

We're watching you..
6ht birthday I got a Gameboy pocket and Blue version. Went up hill from there.

Cpt_Justice

feraligatr ftw
I saw the toys appear in stores when I was in kindergarten and then one day I saw the metapod>butterfree episode with the samurai guy and I guess it took off from there. I was obsessed w. the franchise since r/b but wasn't allowed a gameboy until around the time crystal came out. =(

Flurried Rains

~No Day But Today.
My cousins have probably introduced me to every game I've every played. RuneScape (lolololololol what a waste of time), The Elder Scrolls, Americas Army, everything. The first thing they introduced me to was Pokemon. It all started with Pokemon Red, which my brother eventually lost at the little kiddie play section where moms dropped off their annoying seven year olds while they went shopping. He had to buy me Pokemon Yellow though so it was all good. And I eventually got Blue somehow, I forget how exactly...

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
Its quite random actually: Back when i was in, i believe, first grade. This random kid that i thought was really annoying in my class came up to me and told me, "Hey, come hang out with me at recess, we're making the Pokemon Club." so for some reason, i actually went along with him. There, me, him, and 3 other kids sat in a circle. The kid told us "okay guys, today we will be practicing how to talk like Pikachu." He then began imitated it by screaming "PIKA, PIKA, PIKACHUUUUU." i started imitating him and later that day, i did it to my friend, who happened to have his Pokemon Yellow Version, so he showed me the game.

Blazing Charmander

It was in about 1998/99 that I first heard about Pokemon, as a free comic strip of the first episode came free with the UK's Nintendo Official Magazine. I can remember reading it over and over again in fascination, but can't recall looking for further info on Pokemon afterwards. In about October 1999, a breakfast show called GMTV were doing a special half-term kids show which included the first ever airing of Pokemon on terrestrial TV (it was on Sky beforehand, but I couldn't access it). I first tuned in to the second episode on the Monday as I missed the first episode on the saturday, but I was instantly hooked.

From then on, i watched it every day of that half term, which brought us up to Clefairy and the Moon Stone. However, I then missed the Saturday airings until I got back into it with the Squirtle Squad episode. I didn't miss many episodes from then and even caught up with the ones I missed. I remember collecting trading cards and playing make-believe Pokemon with friends at school, and my first video game was for my birthday in May 2000 (Pokemon Stadium), but I didn't get Red and Blue until Christmas 2000. On said birthday, I also saw the First Movie in the cinema with my friends. I then got Silver the following birthday.

Those were the best times in my Pokemon-loving childhood :)

Vivronkasaur

The Zany Pokemon
mine's rather vague :p
in second grade around '97 or '98
i overheard two boys discussing how Pokemon was for girls and Digimon were for boys. Psh. the boys can keep their digimon.
i wasn't sure what they were talking about at the time.

but one weekend i saw my brothers watching Pokemon. i remember it clearly.
Aerodactyl flew out with Ash in it's claws. Yes, rather late in the series D: but i caught up rather quick.

From there, we started catching the series before school. record it on vhs :p got the toys. I still have the pikachu my grandma bought me about 10 years ago :) we got the games, e v e r y t h i n g. It was religious. I even fondly remember waking up saturday morning for Ash's battle with Blaine. that was intense!!! but now i'm rambling :p

and this lovely flame of love hasn't died. even though i only get the games now :p

OranRi

It started with my new Gameboy Color and the game I picked up, Pokemon Red.

ArceusZ

My neighbors and classmates in Massapequa were obsessed with it. My nextdoor neighbor gave me a card of Charmeleon and thats what started my love of Pokemon.

Slap Bass♪

Oom pah pah.
Back in the day, me and my big bro discovered the tv show randomly. The obsession with the games came soon after.

-Vulpix-

Cynder Kiryah
Not sure if I posted here but.

Let's see if I remember

I think
A. I was probably watching TV and I believe I was probably 9 or 10 not sure which or whatever age I was when it came out. I saw the first episode probably liked the show and later got the game.
B. Or my Mom or my Grandpa bought me a gameboy along with pokemon Red then liked the game and later watched the show.
C. Pikachu did it.

Although I am leaning towards coice A is probably what likely happened.

I was at a daycare (don't remember how old I was but I was in an elementary grade) and I was surrounded by boys 24/7. They had their own collections of cards and they would huddle over them around a table and I hadn't had a clue what was going on, what they were talking about, etc. Then I finally ended up asking what they were doing and they all showed off their rarest card to me (I remember one of them having a charizard card lol). It looked interesting to me so I started watching them and looking at their notebooks full of cards.

Eventually, one of them started bringing their gameboy in and they would play pokemon blue and they'd let me watch them. Soon after, I begged my mom for the game and a gameboy and voila!

Spiffee

Yeah.
My brother got Pokemon Yellow (and the special Pikachu-edition Gameboy Color) and I was always jealous.

Soon after, my parents got me my own GBC, which came with Red version. :]

Pokefan0234

Ka-Ra-Tay!
I actually don't remember how I became obsessed, but I remember watching the very first episode of Pokemon and loving it. Then my parents bought me a pack with GSC and a Gameboy Advance (Lol I thought it was so advanced at the time) a few years later, and, now I'm here.

So really, it's partially my parents fault. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.