• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How will Ash manage a win against Korrina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nameman

I don't want four pokemon at all. I don't believe that Hawlucha will be used here.

He was just caught. Of course he's being used here. This will also be Fletchinder's first battle as an evolved Pokemon, so he's going in. All that's left is one more spot which will likely be filled by Froakie or Pikachu.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Unless they want to hype Mega Lucario to astronomical levels, which is very likely considering how Lucario, as a species, has been treated in the anime.

Again, it's not a freaking strategy.

He was just caught. Of course he's being used here. This will also be Fletchinder's first battle as an evolved Pokemon, so he's going in. All that's left is one more spot which will likely be filled by Froakie or Pikachu.

Wow, Gible was real impressive in the 8th Sinnoh gym wasn't he?? Oh wait, he was newly caught but didn't get used.

nuzamaki90

If Ash uses 4 Pokemon and Korrina uses 2-3 I'm gonna be pissed. Also Pikachu has to sit out on this one. He's battle Lucario to many times. Especially in this arc.

It'd be some pretty terribad writing to have Pikachu get its *** kicked and thrown around by Lucario throughout this arc only to have Froakie, a Pokemon who hasn't battled Lucario at all and is only a small starter going up against a Mega, take an unrealistic win like that. Froakie needs some more wins under his belt since he's literally only won two actual battles but stealing a win that is pretty much made for Pikachu like that is a bad idea.

Also people keep jumping to conclusions and labeling Korrina's other Pokemon as fodder just by what Pokemon they are when we don't even know what Pokemon she has. Grant and Clemont has proven to us that Gym Leaders in Kalos don't always have the same teams in-game. Korrina could have a Mienshao and a Machamp. Anything can happen during this gym battle.

nameman

Again, it's not a freaking strategy.

Wow, Gible was real impressive in the 8th Sinnoh gym wasn't he?? Oh wait, he was newly caught but didn't get used.

He was also caught late in the series. Ash had a team he could rely on by that point. This is the 3rd Kalos Gym, and his team right now isn't worth all that much.

It'd be some pretty terribad writing to have Pikachu get its *** kicked and thrown around by Lucario throughout this arc only to have Froakie, a Pokemon who hasn't battled Lucario at all and is only a small starter going up against a Mega, take an unrealistic win like that. Froakie needs some more wins under his belt since he's literally only won two actual battles but stealing a win that is pretty much made for Pikachu like that is a bad idea.

Also people keep jumping to conclusions and labeling Korrina's other Pokemon as fodder just by what Pokemon they are when we don't even know what Pokemon she has. Grant and Clemont has proven to us that Gym Leaders in Kalos don't always have the same teams in-game. Korrina could have a Mienshao and a Machamp. Anything can happen during this gym battle.

That's why people are assuming Ash is going to get through the other two quickly. Ash using all three Pokemon to get through Mega Lucario would be believable.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Unless they want to hype Mega Lucario to astronomical levels, which is very likely considering how Lucario, as a species, has been treated in the anime.

It would be ridiculous for Mega Lucario to be that strong though imo. I mean we're not even a year into XY, so why should Ash struggle so much at the third Gym? The power creep would be silly in my opinion.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
It would be ridiculous for Mega Lucario to be that strong though imo. I mean we're not even a year into XY, so why should Ash struggle so much at the third Gym? The power creep would be silly in my opinion.

Oh, trust me. I would like Mega Lucario to not be overpowered, but that's how they're portraying it because... eh, it's a Lucario!

However, I must say that Pikachu was having a easier time during his latest sparring match, so now I think there is a decent chance for a more even fight, especially if Ash's Pokémon train hard enough.

I'd like this battle to be as reasonable and balanced as possible, without having to rely to too much DEM and without making the battle too one-sided from either side.

I'd take pretty much anything over another "Ash-using-more-Pokemon-than-the-Leader" battle. I was very (unpleasantly) surprised when they went that route with Grant so soon after using it with Roxie. I get that it's a nod to the games, but Ash has a history of defeating MANY many trainers, Gym Leaders, and Frontier Brains using the same number of Pokemon as they did, no handicap required.

- Korrina could choose not to use her Lucario and go with her in-game team ("Lucario's off doing some special training so it can control itself as Mega Lucario", "Lucario's exhausted from all that Mega Evo training", idk)
- Korrina could use Lucario, but not Mega Evolve it because it still can't fully control itself as Mega Lucario
- Korrina could use Mega Lucario and Ash could manage a tie, a la Maylene
- Korrina could use Mega Lucario and Ash could somehow defeat it (which would be pretty unbelievable, based on what we've seen so far, but STILL preferable to Ash using extra Pokemon IMO)

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
He was also caught late in the series. Ash had a team he could rely on by that point. This is the 3rd Kalos Gym, and his team right now isn't worth all that much.

That's why people are assuming Ash is going to get through the other two quickly. Ash using all three Pokemon to get through Mega Lucario would be believable.

Pikachu, Fletchinder, and Froakie are more then capable of defeating this Lucario and her other pokemon. Hawlucha is a new capture and we haven't even seen his strength yet.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
- Korrina could use Mega Lucario and Ash could somehow defeat it (which would be pretty unbelievable, based on what we've seen so far, but STILL preferable to Ash using extra Pokemon IMO)

How is that scenario unbelievable when we've seen Ash overcome many obstacles before? Plus he'll likely train before his Gym battle with Korrina imo.

How is that scenario unbelievable when we've seen Ash overcome many obstacles before? Plus he'll likely train before his Gym battle with Korrina imo.

I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but in the Lucario/Mega Lucario battles thus far, it's been incredibly one-sided, especially when M-Lucario uses its full power. it's not just about Ash finding a way to counter his opponent's strategy (like dealing with Viola's ice field), there seems to be a HUGE power difference between Pikachu and M-Lucario, so it'd feel a bit forced if 5-10 episodes from now Pikachu is suddenly able to hold his own against a Pokemon that's currently able to toss him around like a rag doll. well...maybe another Static-fueled victory? ;)

that said, I'd still take that scenario over him using more Pokemon than Korrina.

Last edited:

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Pikachu, Fletchinder, and Froakie are more then capable of defeating this Lucario and her other pokemon. Hawlucha is a new capture and we haven't even seen his strength yet.

As long as Ash doesn't just let Pikachu lay there and get beatdown again, he should have a chance. And HOPEFULLY he'll do more than just spam Iron Tail against a Lucario. You'd think he learned from Cameron and would take advantage of having a powerful ranged attack that is obviously more effective.

Although I have no idea what the hell he's supposed to do against Mega Lucario. What if Ash doesn't win and comes back later with a Mega Charizard/Sceptile towards the end of the gym journey?

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

The recent episode seemed like Pikachu was keeping up with Lucario(Only saw the pictures so far though, so not sure if the 1000 words was leaving out the 1 important word). The gym battle isn't known yet, so far we know Ash will get Hawlucha and probably have Fletchling evolve by the time the gym battle happens. It could be a 4 vs 1 battle, Froakie in the opening is kind of odd but I don't really think much of it, I actually see one of the other three having more potential for getting the win(Pikachu already has battled it so it battling it and winning seems like a way to go. Hawlucha is a new capture, it seems like it likes a tough battle, although it might bite off more then it can chew. If Fletchling evolves then it gives it's evolution a moment in the gym light).

The gym battles haven't been going the way I thought they would so...I really don't know anymore(Already confused what will happen with Ash vs Clemont).

They could just not use Lucario in the Gym Battle(I want a Hawlucha vs Hawlucha battle).

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
As long as Ash doesn't just let Pikachu lay there and get beatdown again, he should have a chance. And HOPEFULLY he'll do more than just spam Iron Tail against a Lucario. You'd think he learned from Cameron and would take advantage of having a powerful ranged attack that is obviously more effective.

Although I have no idea what the hell he's supposed to do against Mega Lucario. What if Ash doesn't win and comes back later with a Mega Charizard/Sceptile towards the end of the gym journey?

That's was my idea. Something like this:

Froakie vs Meinfoo-Froakie(recalled)
Fletchinder vs Hawlucha-Fletchinder(recalled)
Pikachu vs M Lucario(Pikachu weakens Lucario but he still wins)
Froakie vs M Lucario(Froakie weakens him farther but still loses)
Fletchinder vs M Lucario(Fletchinder finishes him off after Lucario is burned and tired).

This way, Lucario still looks strong but Ash looks strong too.

X Drake

I Am Groot
It looks pretty strong based on the previews.Just because it's a new capture doesn't mean it's any weaker then the rest of Ash's pokemon.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
why it so bad about 4 vs 1 or 3 vs 1 ( Miltank Anyone)
even i like if the battle fair i just cant see the writer treat lucario as weakling

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
why it so bad about 4 vs 1 or 3 vs 1 ( Miltank Anyone)
even i like if the battle fair i just cant see the writer treat lucario as weakling

4-1 is bad writing.
Even back then. Also makes Ash look really weak.

4-1 is bad writing.
Even back then. Also makes Ash look really weak.

agreed. if it had been the rule from the start of the series that trainers can use all of their Pokemon in Gym matches, I wouldn't mind, but Ash has defeated numerous very powerful trainers and Gym Leaders and Frontier Brains without any kind of handicap, it looks really bad/out of place that he randomly needs his entire team of 6 to take down only 3 (in Roxie's case) or 3 to take down 2 (in Grant's case). by the rules of every other Gym he's ever fought in, those matches would have been losses and he would've had to train and try again. I get that it's the Leaders' rule, not Ash's, but I wish the writers would just avoid going that route completely.

I see Whitney's situation slightly differently, since Ash did demonstrate in their first match that he could easily destroy both Clefairy and Nidorina. he had all 3 Pokemon left when he first fought Miltank, so it didn't seem as odd that he used the same 3 to fight Miltank the second time. granted, the Clefairy battle could've gone differently if "Metronome" had pulled out something more useful...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.