• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How will Diamond and Pearl affect your fanfic?

PDL

disenchanted
The biggest thing that is currently happening to our franchise is the introduction of Diamond and Pearl, and if you are reading this and haven't heard of DP yet, you must be living in a cave on Mars...

With computer access...

Perhaps from the Mars Rover.

Anyway, with the release of the newest games, a whole batch of new monsters have cropped up. Many of them evolved from or related to older pokémon in some way.

How will these new monsters effect your fic?

With Sabrina's Story, I've barely dodged a bullet because if my main character had been male, it would completely ruin it.

Although now I have the ability to decide if I want my main antagonist to evolve. As well as other characters.

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Well actually, with the release of Diamond/Pearl, it has GREATLY affected my future fanfiction. I might even think about delaying its premiere in Spring, for there are several new Pokemon that I want to use and has patience to wait for their English names, whenever they will be revealed to us. (I'm especially looking forward to using the Ground/Dragon trio, the Aipom evolution, the Steel/Psychic Pokemon or whatever they are called, and much more).

;.; And now I have a few options to evolve some of my main character's other Pokemon.

Yami Ryu

Well actually PDL, it could be only caused by radiation or something in Shinou, as an episode of the anime pointed out, just because a pokemon is different from the norm doesn't mean it's shiny, Vileplume in one island were way different than normal vileplume, but that was region induced.

So unless Sabrina the Kirlia was transported to Shinou all a sudden for no reason, and was male, I doubt there would be any difference.

Sides, scottish men wear kilts :X

AND NO NO ONE WILL BE REPORTING FROM MARS CAUSE I TOOK IT OVER- er I mean um ... :x sugar? sugar anyone? hyper active making suuugar....

Anyways this has made me want to write a trainer fic. When I already have three on my plate- but then I go from fic to fic like a bee to a flower. So I might end up writing a fic.

But to answer your question directly: not much untill they've been released to america, or in otherwords, the official english names given, as I do not really jump the gun and use pokemon that are new in my fic. Well, I became a hypocrit right then right there, but I usually wait a bit when it's for a trainer fic, I don't like making up attacks I know they probably won't have, but need to give them something to be useable.

Quackerdrill

say yes to love
First of all, awesome idea for a topic- I didn't even think about how new releases have an impact on our writing... but it's true.

I have to say, though, are we sure that the new creatures will be the only thing that will be changed in our universes? what about the gameplay innovations in D/P? Think about it- the Shinou underground is probably the best thing to happen in a looooong time for us ficcers. I can only imagine the wealth of possibilities.

Add the Poketch's capabilities, those fancy new contests, and the huge load of new canon characters (i.e. gym leaders) that it offers up.

After it releases in the States and Europe, this place is gonna be glowing with D/P related creativity. Unless you're smart and start yours now. XD

*quack deposits his two cents in the jar*

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Eh, I am in the same boat as Malyntrix. Right now I want to use a couple of them in my fanfictions "Nothing, Everything", "The Game", and PROBABLY "Pure Distance".

Actually, right now I am using one of them in "Nothing, Everything." Yeah, you can say that I went too fast using a D/P Pokemon in my story. Eh, luckily I won't premeire that story until probably between November 2006 and January 2007. Also, that D/P pokemon won't come until much, much later in the story. During that time, I can always edit the later part of the story a little bit when more info on D/P will come. =D

Zerodius

Eternally hating D/P
Well, seeing as P/D tried to make the former generations obsolete by making your common fully evolved 4th Pokemon EVEN STRONGER THAN RAYQUAZA AND MEWTWO, I have chosen to ignore it.

Furthermore, as it seems that the anime and games have chosen, in this particuliar generation, VASTLY different paths regarding the role of certain Pokemon (COUGH!LucarioCOUGH!), I have chosen to ignore the games for this generation.

As such. although 4th gen Pokemon MIGHT appear in my fics, expect them to be anime-based/not following canon at all.

Last edited:

Astinus

Probably with just the history and what-not of the new Pokémon. If the Legtendaries have some really bizarre interesting histories that I feel can also fit in with my fic, then I'll just slid them in. And rewrite the fic for the fifth time...

So maybe D/P will affect it; perhaps not. I'll just have to see after I play through the games.

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
It won't affect this one much. I don't plan on D/P pokemon appearing in my current story because of the story(no room for them) and location. I've configured my fic for third gen. I'd rather not write about anything that I don't have 100% info on anyway.

Dragonfree

Just me
Well, I'm the type who goes very carefully into using new Pokémon. The Quest for the Legends has already lived through one generation being added, so I have a pretty good idea of what will happen: there will be no mention of the existence of the fourth generation until Diamond and Pearl are out in English, and then there will be some Shinou Pokémon added as belonging to this and that trainer. Then in any subsequent rewrites (which are pretty much guaranteed to happen), I will insert some D/P Pokémon/attacks/etc. where I deem appropriate, even though it will stay as a reminder of the past of the fic that almost no fourth generation Pokémon are mentioned until some late chapter.

Literate

black cat, black cat
Well, only one fic will be majorly effected, as my other two aren't even pokemon fics...

Anyways, maybe I will use them, and since D/P is coming hopefully sometime soon, (spring) I can use them in my still delayed story. Or just create a new one.

But I'm not using them, now. At least, not until everything comes out. >>

~Literate

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Well, the primary difficulty I can anticipate is trying to shoehorn all the new legendaries into my story's timeline. I managed to get everything worked out for the generation previous, but I'm probably going to have to do some serious juggling in order to get these new ones worked in properly. I mean, ugh, they're even doing new stuff with the regis (Nooo! My precious construction of ancient pokemon civilizations! *throws book of fanon out of window in disgust*), and then there's Diaruga and Parukia to consider; I kind of already had legendaries marked down for masters of time and space respectively, so there are obviously going to be "issues".

Also, some of the gender-splits cause issues, although I'm going to keep my male gardevoir male anyway because he wouldn't be the same if I didn't and I like him the way he is. Also, some of the canonical events will probably end up getting referenced in my later works; they'll probably fit quite neatly between the third and fouth 'fics I'm writing--which means that there won't be any Shinou species appearing until the fourth 'fic anyway.

FireKero!

SWABLR
I've been awaiting the spoiler list for DP before I could fully post my fanfic. Wanted to make sure that I wasn't sharing 12 Pokemon between twelve trainers.

This will greatly affect a lot of people's fic, and the reviwers too. A totally new region, with new evolution possibilities and legendaries, characters, itmes, and battle areas.

I, for one, feel that with D/P 's new release will add a little more life to my fics.

Timid Kyogre

Endangered Creature
I don't think so. I don't plan to use any of the new D/P pokemon, but who knows...I might use them for other fics/one shots, or whatever it is.

To tell you the truth, I only liked about ten to twelve of the new D/P Pokemon (and I usually like a lot of them. Ten to twelve out of one hundred something is not a lot), but that's it xP

~Timid Kyogre

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
There will later be a story arc involving Shinou and the Poke'mon in it in my fan fic once:

1.) D/P comes out in the US

2.) When the fic's ready. As is, I'm on my 4th draft of the first chapter.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
Well, I don't think D/P is out in the UK for about six months now so there isn't much for me to worry about. However, once it does come out, I'll probably do an OT fic on it...unless Breezy beats me to it :eek:

OJG

r u not entertained
I am thinking about Riishan, Tamanta, and I will probably let Murkrow evolve. Not sure about Ralts, whether to use her or Riishan, and if I use her, she may become a he and evolve into the Fighting type.

you

Barbed
My project is not nessersarily (sp?) a fan fic but anyway. Certain articles will need touching up or changing. This also changes the thinking perspective in some articles. As well as adding a whole host of new pokemon to the contents that would need to be written about..

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
D/P will likely have no effect on my works whatsoever. My entire series has been fairly pre-planned for years now, and nothing in it is of the nature that really has much opportunity to take advantage of the new stuff - no part of it takes place in or even has reason to mention Shinou or any of the new Pokémon. Since I do not plan to write anything other than the fics that comprise that series, there'll also not be any other opportunites occuring or specifically created for such a purpose.

There is one situation well in the future (as in with regards to the next fic in the series) in which I could include a Shinou Pokémon if I really wanted, but that's it. I'd really probably only do that if I find myself obsessed with one of the new Pokémon in particular, though.

Furthermore, since I only really pay scant tribute to the canon, the wave of changes and additions brought to it by D/P does not really need to be paid heed by my works. Ah, the beauty of fanfiction and its inherent creative liberty...

Just as I'll not be going out of my way in future endeavors to recognize the canon of the fourth generation, I'll also not be going back and changing anything because of it. There will be no Frozen Yogurt Girls. XD

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
Hmm, good topic idea, PDL. ^.~

Well, because I have a horrible distaste for just about every Fourth Generation Pokémon I have so far seen, I plan to completely ignore the fact that there is a whole other region for awhile (like until the English game comes out and everyone really gets accustomed to the new Pokémon). In some cases, the new evolutions can (and probably will) ruin a few of my Pokémon characters. I had counted on them having only the evolutions from the first three generations, and these new...beasts throw a lot of things off kilter. >>
Plus I was counting on a specific Pokémon getting a new evolution. I figured if two others got new evolutions, this one should too. They all got pre-evos in the second, so either give them all evos or don't give them at all!

And as far as the Legendaries go...well, at this very moment they're only a slight problem for my RPG which focuses on the Legendaries (but who cares- it'll continue on as planned anyway). Still, I wanted to write a One-Shot that the Legendaries played an important role in, and Hell, it was hard enough when there was 20, but now we're up to like, 30! Jeez, how do you have 30 all-powerful, god-like Pokémon?! How does each one have a specific role to play in the world? And how do you give each one a specific history and personality? AND WHY WOULD THERE BE SO MANY LEGENDS OF SO MANY STRONG POKEMON IN THE FIRST PLACE?! ;;
Soneone in that company obviously likes bombarding us with Legendaries. I mean, what was the Third Generation anyway? >> It's like taking away any importance Pokémon like Mew have.

To Hell with the new Generation and its new evolutions and Legendaries. >>
*shot by millions of Fourth-Generation loving fans*

~Psychic

Well, let's see, my Fic focuses on all three Regi's, and now we have a fourth Regi coming into play...

I'm ruined :(

This is going to screw up a lot of stuff in my Fic. I had so carefully chosen the exact times for each Regi to do exactly what it needs to do, but with Regigigas thrown into the mix, there will be big, big plotholes. I can't have a Fic focusing on the Regi's without having what seems to be the supreme leader in it. It just doesn't work. Even if I tell my already loyal readers that Regigigas won't play a part in the Fic, newcomers will continually inquire about it, due to the simple logic of it; a Regi Fic should have all the Regi's.

However, I think I can make it work out alright in the end. Somehow, I'll find a way around this....At least I hope so.

Regigigas is the main problem I have. As far as other Legendaries, which my Fic focuses somewhat heavily upon, I can deal with that.

Normal Pokémon won't cause much of a problem. Indeed, I'm already contemplating ways to introduce them subtlely but realistically.

?*V Tsun*?
The 8th Champion