• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How will Serena's eventual return be handled?

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Ok, let's try this again:

After mostly hiding her love for Satoshi from him throughout the entire XY series, Serena finally kissed him in the final episode, said he was "her goal", and that she'd "be a much more charming woman" the next time they met. Director Yajima stated in an interview that the viewer was meant to interpret this scene as an assumption that the two would get together in the future. So the question is, considering what happened in that episode, how do you think the character's eventual return will be handled?

Things to keep in mind:
1) This is not the shipping subforum. Your personal opinion on this pairing is irrelevant. Keep it to yourself.
2) Likewise, your personal thoughts on any other pairings have absolutely no place in this thread.
3) What happened happened. Serena was in love with Satoshi. She kissed him. She said what she said. Yajima said what he said. Don't pretend otherwise.
4) Nonsense like "the new director will probably retcon it all out so he can pair Satoshi with someone else" are not acceptable arguments. You know perfectly well that this show has been running for 20+ years without any directors retconning any major plot beats from earlier series. Don't act like this is something that totally happens.

This thread will be monitored. Please respect the above points and keep things civil.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Ok, let's try this again:

After mostly hiding her love for Satoshi from him throughout the entire XY series, Serena finally kissed him in the final episode, said he was "her goal", and that she'd "be a much more charming woman" the next time they met. Director Yajima stated in an interview that the viewer was meant to interpret this scene as an assumption that the two would get together in the future. So the question is, considering what happened in that episode, how do you think the character's eventual return will be handled?

Things to keep in mind:
1) This is not the shipping subforum. Your personal opinion on this pairing is irrelevant. Keep it to yourself.
2) Likewise, your personal thoughts on any other pairings have absolutely no place in this thread.
3) What happened happened. Serena was in love with Satoshi. She kissed him. She said what she said. Yajima said what he said. Don't pretend otherwise.
4) Nonsense like "the new director will probably retcon it all out so he can pair Satoshi with someone else" are not acceptable arguments. You know perfectly well that this show has been running for 20+ years without any directors retconning any major plot beats from earlier series. Don't act like this is something that totally happens.
THE PREVIOUS THREAD WAS DELETED BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T HAVE A CIVIL DISCUSSION ABOUT THIS. THIS THREAD WILL BE MONITORED AND POSTS THAT DON'T RESPECT THE ABOVE POINTS WILL BE DELETED. KEEP IT CIVIL.
No offense, I read that voice with the voice of a angry ranter than the usual professionalism that goes around here. Couldn't help but find that funny. You must really like Serena's character or at least believe that the character deserves a shot of a real discussion without the annoying shipping talk and the bashing behind all that professionalism to be this dedicated for one thread?

So anyways, if it's anything like the non-Kanto characters, my guess it's going to be some random adventure filler like how Ash & Dawn went off to find an Onix in some cave or how May had a contest with Dawn. Were also going to see some big Pokemon team reunion where we see Serena's full Pokemon team from her journey, either through some contest, battle or just a friendly gathering where the Pokemon play together. Probably some returning jokes as well although, not gonna lie I don't remember Serena's Pokemon having any consistent jokes to the end. Seems more like Bonnie's thing. It will begin with a surprise appearance where some person mentions a person that Ash knows is coming to the latest region Ash is exploring, which is the common norm of how these episodes introduce returning companions and it will end with Ash & Serena giving one last farewell when the orange sun is setting. If it were up to me though, I think the writers would pull a "Ruby" moment. You know what I mean Pokemon Adventures fans lol? Okay, Okay. So basically what I mean is that Serena is going to ask if Ash remembers about her kiss, her confession of feelings to Ash and Ash lol, I can totally see the writers do this, is going to pretend, key-word PRETEND to forget that ever happened because he's a young boy that's quite new to the whole romantic feelings angle. Be honest guys, does that not make so much sense for the writers to do? Have Ash continue as the lone single guy while having consistency with Serena's confession. You know what would be even more funny? If Serena had a fiery spirit in her eyes, saying she won't let him just ignore her again but then she goes from full confidence in her head to full shyness on her face, twiddling her thumbs to ask Ash if he really doesn't remember. Probably taking too much of a page from the Pokemon Adventures manga but you guys can definitely see this happen with the writers right?

Last edited:

shoz999

It's really not a weak response because we really don't know anything. I truly dont believe we'll see a lot of past companions again UNLESS there's a remake related to them. The only character worth having hope of seeing again is Dawn because of possible DP remakes. And I really wish you wouldnt have quoted me because I deleted my post for a reason, I dont care to contribute to this unnecessary thread.
Never underestimate the power of marketing! ANIME MARKETING IS ZA BEST MARKETING IN ZA WARUDO! :D

Edit - I made some changes based on your request.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I just wished that the producers could make her special episode as I'm more into the Pokegirls interactions and would like to know how she's doing in Hoenn. I'm not into Amourshipping nor any Ash shippings in general, but I don't mind if others like them. As for her cameo return, I took the fanfic route so I moved on to this.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Oh god he finally snapped

I don't think it will be much different from the other character's return. It will be sweet, simple, and straight to the point, no dragging anything out. No real development will probably come out of it, just a couple episodes of childrens having a good time, and I'm cool with that.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
No offense, I read that voice with the voice of a angry ranter than the usual professionalism that goes around here. Couldn't help but find that funny. You must really like Serena's character or at least believe that the character deserves a shot of a real discussion without the annoying shipping talk and the bashing behind all that professionalism to be this dedicated for one thread?

I believe the subject deserves to be able to be discussed here, and was frustrated at how that did not happen in the previous thread, hence the deletion of that thread and the creation of a new one with a bunch of warnings in the OP to ensure this one goes differently. It's not really that I'm dedicated to this particular thread (and I don't really plan on participating in it), just that I don't want to have subjects banned from being discussed because people can't discuss them without dragging in unnecessary baggage from elsewhere.

Let's make this a civil discussion now, guys, okay?

Last edited:

shoz999

I believe the subject deserves to be able to be discussed here, and was frustrated at how that did not happen in the previous thread, hence the deletion of that thread and the creation of a new one with a bunch of warnings in the OP to ensure this one goes differently.

Let's make this a civil discussion now, guys, okay?
Okey doke.

BabaVanga

I think it will be similar to other PokéGirls cameos, I doubt she'll get some special treatment especially that Yajima is no longer in charge.

I can see them adressing her crush as a running gag of sorts though, even if I personally hope she just moved on already.

Xuxuba

I think there are mainly two posibilities:
a) They will completely ignore the kiss if the director doesn't want to move things along. Not exactly retconning and changing what happened, just ignoring it.
b) They will have Ash figuring out his feelings for her. In this case, there are a lot of things they can do with it. They can have Serena being upset because Ash doesn't respond to her feelings or at least she thinks that he doesn't. They can have Ash responding to her feelings but being shy for once instead of Serena. They can have the two of them being shy at the same time, because of what happened. And the list goes on...

Normally, i would say the first option is the most likely.

Last edited:

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
What Xuxuba said is most likely, ignoring her crush completely and butchering her story from XY. That's what the writers usually do after DP.
Or maybe, they would actually care and help break Ash's stupidly dense shell which would be great character development if you ask me.
Or maybe she Dosen't return at all, but is shown to end up with Ash when his adventures end.
If the writers are smart and don't want to waste an opportunity, they will go with the 2nd option.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I think it will be similar to other PokéGirls cameos, I doubt she'll get some special treatment especially that Yajima is no longer in charge.

This was specifically brought up in the OP as a nonsense argument, so let's just delve a bit into that for a moment because you're apparently not listening.
No, Yajima is no longer "in charge". However, Yuyama is in charge, and he was also in charge of XY and outranks Yajima. Yuyama was clearly on board with this subplot, otherwise it wouldn't have happened. The producer that was there during Yajima's interview is also presumably still around, and he was the one that sat there confirming various things Yajima wasn't even sure he was allowed to say (like the fact that the kiss was inarguably a kiss). The interview even brought up that the subplot wasn't even Yajima's idea in the first place, but Kanda's.
Please drop this nonsense about how the Satoshi/Serena pairing was some sort of Yajima pet concept that everyone else on the creative staff are just sitting there dying to retcon if given the chance. There's tons of higher-ups on the show's staff that were more "in charge" than Yajima during XY, and they're not going anywhere any time soon. Yuyama in particular is almost guaranteed to be "in charge" until his death.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
This was specifically brought up in the OP as a nonsense argument, so let's just delve a bit into that for a moment because you're apparently not listening.
No, Yajima is no longer "in charge". However, Yuyama is in charge, and he was also in charge of XY and outranks Yajima. Yuyama was clearly on board with this subplot, otherwise it wouldn't have happened. The producer that was there during Yajima's interview is also presumably still around, and he was the one that sat there confirming various things Yajima wasn't even sure he was allowed to say (like the fact that the kiss was inarguably a kiss). The interview even brought up that the subplot wasn't even Yajima's idea in the first place, but Kanda's.
Please drop this nonsense about how the Satoshi/Serena pairing was some sort of Yajima pet concept that everyone else on the creative staff are just sitting there dying to retcon if given the chance. There's tons of higher-ups on the show's staff that were more "in charge" than Yajima during XY, and they're not going anywhere any time soon. Yuyama in particular is almost guaranteed to be "in charge" until his death.
This interview was recent? Or during XY period? o.o

BabaVanga

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying it for me.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Serena and Ash battle again which results in her winning. Please beat Ash with her OP Sylveon.

Despite not caring much for her character, I’ll be extremely happy to see her developing her own style and looking up to someone like Dawn just to hear that Dawn could be a well known name or even May since she’s the daughter of a Gym Leader. I hope she mentions how she struggled at first but got the hang of things once she started practicing and using Ash as a continuing motivation to advance her talent.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I just have low expectations for the next series.
Agreed. I also don't deny the producers experiences with the show, but they aren't immune to flaws/mistakes. They could have done more to her during XY imo.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'd prefer an arc akin to May's return. Advancing the plot of the new companion while giving an update is why I hold it in high regard.