1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How would the Johto dynamics have changed if Tracey tagged along?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by solrocknroll, Oct 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. solrocknroll

solrocknroll S-Class Connoisseur Fan

Ash, Misty, Brock, and Tracey would all be in one group. We've seen groups of four before, but one of those four usually is a kid who doesn't catch Pokemon. If this had been the case, I'm assuming he would have been the most passive member of the group.

2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ The Fiery Princess of Mars

I don't think it would change much tbh.

AznKei likes this.
  3. solrocknroll

Yeah, Misty and Brock already didn't do much, so I can't imagine another tag-along would really change things that drastically tbh

AznKei likes this.
  4. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Hardly any impact, johto was the series of big fillers as well as developing ash as an independent character, tracey's biggest contribution in johto would be debut his scizor, though i dont know how weird it would be to see a scizor panting after doing a single move.

Redstar45 and LilligantLewis like this.
  5. solrocknroll

I think Scyther and Venonat probably both would have evolved, and I could see him getting one more capture for the whole region like Brock (Pineco) and Misty (Corsola) got. We could say Mareep, perhaps. Marill, Mareep, Scizor, and Venomoth would be pretty cool, even if the nature of Johto means that none of them would get much actual screentime.

6. Ignition

Ignition Couldn't care less even if I tried

Smeargle is definitely the Johto Pokémon that would go to Tracey. Shame he never got to travel with Ash again :(

LilligantLewis likes this.
  7. Moonlight Starlight

Moonlight Starlight Well-Known Member

I would think that Tracey would travel with Ash in the other two regions than Brock would not been in. Hoenn and Sinnoh. While Brock would stick with the other two regions including the Orange island too if Brock wasn't taken off in the first place.

Brock: Kanto , OI (4 arc) and Johto.
    Tracey: Hoenn and Sinnoh.
    Cilan: Unova and Kalos.

I add Cilan also too just in case. But I really do think these three should only get two journey regions to travel with Ash to keep things even and share. And Tracey would of showed up in a better debut generation than the OI.

8. solrocknroll

I hadn't even thought of that, but that's such a good idea! Especially since painting wasn't Tracey's medium, sketching was, so it would be new territory

As you can probably tell, Cilan being around for an extra region would never bother me :D

Ignition likes this.
  9. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

We'd have 3 pieces of moving background rather than just 2.

On a slightly more serious answer, I don't see any significant change.

lolipiece and ash&charizardfan like this.
  10. Apslup

Apslup Complete Mad-Lad

Probably not that much to be honest. Tracey was never the most interesting character to begin with. Maybe he can help Brock with some exposition stuff.

He could have his Scyther evolve into a Scizor or have his Marill evolve into an Azumarill in order to show off the new Gen 2 Pokemon and have some filler episodes focused on Pokemon Watching.

11. ash&charizardfan

Tracey didn't do anything in OI, what could he anything in johto besides joing misty and brock as the background character.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  12. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

It would be dull. Tracey was rather forgettable during his time in the Orange Islands. I forget he even exists sometimes which proves how bland he was. Even Todd Snap is more memorable and all that guy did was take photos. I even remember Sabrina’s dad and he was only in two episodes. Tracey didn’t have much going for him.

13. solrocknroll

Tracey has plenty of things going for him. He was very knowledgeable about the ins and outs of Pokemon behavior and moves, he was shy around pretty girls, he was a superfan of various famous people like Professor Oak or high profile Watchers, he was more about using Pokemon for various unique abilities like Venonat's eyesight than battling, he was a little too much of a pushover in some situations when it came to saying no, and he had very good observational skills.

I feel like people vastly underrate Tracey just because he isn't as over the top as Brock, which really isn't fair to him. I like him way more than Brock. He's one of the only companions to ever accomplish their goal, with his arc ending with him becoming Oak's assistant.

14. ash&charizardfan

Whether many things going or not it is no doubt that he was useless in the whole OI arc, even his scyther had more personality than him. There are lot of things writers could do to improve every character in the show including ash but they do not so we cannot talk about the things which was not done. Tracey is in't underrated he is rated correctly. So even if he had gone to johto he would at best be in background with misty and brock, s it was good that he stayed with prof oak. Johto journey was all about developing ash as an individual character.

15. Moonlight Starlight

Moonlight Starlight Well-Known Member

One thing what make Tracey being the only different from Ash's companion is that he's not a game character. Never has been in one never had. That's why he never gets any development or being notice more.

16. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

Agreed, people complain of his lack of personality like Ash hasn’t had plenty of other companions who also weren’t the strongest in the personality department. Tracey is a good character, a nice guy who actually achieved his goal..Do I think Ash and Misty could have traveled without him? Yes, but I’ve felt that way with other group dynamics too (DP and XY) but for some reason, poor Tracey gets the short end of the stick. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t have a game counterpart? I’m not sure because I actually liked him.

To answer the question, I don’t really like four people in a group so I feel like it would have been an unnecessary addition.

Redstar45 likes this.
  17. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

As much as I don't mind Tracey (I even like him to some extent, his goal isn't that impressive to the point he actually accomplishing doesn't mean all that much IMHO

Brock's goal - for all problems it had and the fact it was ditched last-minute on DP - at least would get you to feel something had he accomplished it.

18. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

As someone who just started watching the new Netflix show Sabrina, i had her on the mind and not the Pokémon character and had to reread this 3 or 4 times to figure out what you were talking about, and kept thinking "but he's dead?!?" haha

this is true of Max as well though

Redstar45 likes this.
  19. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Given how little Takeshi did in Jouto, I feel like Kenji would've ended up the same, if not worse. His Strike might've evolved if he had tagged along however, which I would've loved to witness.

Redstar45 and LilligantLewis like this.
  20. Shadao

Shadao Well-Known Member

The problem with Tracey is that he was designed as a safe character rather than a memorable character. He has potential, but is only really there to appease the American kids overseas. Or at least the executives' perception of American kids.

Tracey doesn't have any real quirks beyond drawing stuff. Brock has his love gags and Misty is well, hot-tempered. These quirks remain even when they are pushed to the background.

In short, Tracey might as well not exist in Johto by this point.