• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you feel if de-evolution, or temporary evolution were introduced?

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't like the idea of de-evolution since that sounds a lot like Digimon, and if I wanted to see tiny creatures evolve and then de-evolve, I'd rather just watch that anime series, instead. But at least the concept of de-evolution in the Pokemon anime would give the writers a chance to allow Pikachu to evolve into Raichu.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Mega Evolution wasn't that long ago, you know?

Anyway, I'd see it the same way I do with Digimon: just a gimmick to have both plush-able and battle-ready forms be avaliable.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Would they have the balls to finally let Pikachu evolve, even for a little while?
Gigantamax Pikachu seems exactly an example of this. Let's see if they introduce it for Ash's Pikachu. And possibly for Rocket Meowth?

Red and Blue

I'd hate it just because it would take the permanence of evolution away. Especially in the show that's why evolution is such a big deal. It's a commitment they can't go back on. And like was said earlier mega evolution already kind of skirts that issue, but that's its own thing so whatever.
Yeah that's part of what made Turtwig's evolution bittersweet in a way. It lost its speed

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Would they have the balls to finally let Pikachu evolve, even for a little while?
I only see that working as a plot element for something like Pokémon Adventures or a movie. Unlike Digimon, where evolution is treated more like a power up, Pokémon treats evolution more like growing up or that the pokémon are becoming the best possible versions of themselves.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I only see that working as a plot element for something like Pokémon Adventures or a movie. Unlike Digimon, where evolution is treated more like a power up, Pokémon treats evolution more like growing up or that the pokémon are becoming the best possible versions of themselves.
Given the Japanese names of the stages, it's implied Digivolution is supposed to be similar to growing up as well. The reason it's treated as a power up is because the Digidestined can accelerate the process at the cost of it being less permanent

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Temporary evolution? That already exists. Mega Evolutions and I guess Gigantimax forms to an extent?

De-evolution is just plain dumb and not needed. Imagine if after all that work with Infernape, it went back to being a Chimchar? Or May shoved up with a Bulbasaur and Squirtle again instead of her Wartortle and Venusaur? You don't have to evolve your Pokemon if you don't want to, so thankfully de-evolution will most likely never be a thing. Though I wouldn't say no to a certain mermaid getting retconned to a Popplio again. That evolution was NOT earned at all!

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Short version: NO! DON'T MAKE DIGIMON MORE OBSOLETE!

Long version: A lot of the points I was going to say have already been said, that there's already something temporary in the form Mega Evolution and Gigantimaxing, that if "de-evolving" was allowed it would make the themes and consequences of evolution pointless, and, lastly, it that it would be even more similar to Digimon, which it already got with Mega Evolving.

And that last one is important to me because, well, as much as I love Mega Evolutions, I still hold Digimon close to my heart as I do with Pokémon: I might not be obessessed with it at the moment, but it still means a lot to me. Where Pokémon feels like fantastical animals and friendly monsters, Digimon feels like if you did that, plus the treatment of the Mystery Dungeon (as in the Pokémon can "talk" and have their own societies with little to no humans involved) and using mythical figures (Knights of the Round Table, the Olympians, etc) just as much as mythical monsters (dragons, serpents, unicorns, etc).

So I would very much not want to see Pokémon get compared to Digimon even more, at least not in the vein of "Oh there's temporary evolutions! It's just like Digimon!" because, again, I like them both for the creatures the franchises are named after.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
Temporary evolution? That already exists. Mega Evolutions and I guess Gigantimax forms to an extent?

I personally don't count either of those things as real evolution since they're more like an overly-glorified type of form change than anything else.

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
If humanity could de-age itself then I believe Pokemon de-evolution would be feasible, because when Pokemons evolve, they grow up just like humans. As for temporary evolution, it was already done with Mega Evolution.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
To be honest, I consider Mega Evolution more like Savers' Burst Mode than digivolution.

Digivolution resolves around a complete change and not just power boost.

While Burst Mode is the basic digimon just unlocking its full potential, which is kind of the same thing megas does.

ShineGreymon is still a ShineGreymon even after Burst Mode. Same thing for Charizard and its mega evolutions.

Given the Japanese names of the stages, it's implied Digivolution is supposed to be similar to growing up as well. The reason it's treated as a power up is because the Digidestined can accelerate the process at the cost of it being less permanent

The japanese names really reflect that? Now I think about it, I've never seen translations for the stage names.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
I wouldn't like it tbh. Silvally is about the closest one that could count but it works because it's technically the same species in anime lore, which makes sense since all that really differentiates the two forms is the mask and that's it when you look at it, but even then it's not the same thing.

Plus it'd be weird to see cases like Bulbasaur and Piplup and Pikachu who actively choose not to evolve for their own reasons be rendered moot. Evolution is treated very seriously in Pokemon by not only the Pokemon themselves but humans and their trainers in general BECAUSE evolution was always a permanent thing. Such as for example Lillie making a fuss in the anime about her mother doing it against her wishes, if Clefable could just be reverted just like that in a later time, it'd make her being upset at Lusamine pointless in the end because she can later just change the thing back. Not to mention, stone evolutions would be a waste if you can just revert them like that. You just wasted a stone, good job.