• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you fix each Pokemon League

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
For Alola, I'd have made a Z ring a requirement, justifying Lillie, Sophocles, and Mallow getting theirs in quick succession. You may wonder "what about Guzma?", in which case I'd have him beat up Hiroki and steal his Z-ring (because eh, we know about him for it not to feel random but he's not relevant enough for him not participating to feel like wasted potential), and then when he's about to fight Ilima, he takes off the Z ring, shows it to everyone, and then crushes it.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Kanto-Hoenn: Not a thing
Sinnoh: Push Tobias to the finals and build him up, making him an actual character. You'd have thought a trainer sweeping gyms with a Darkrai would be all the rage!
Unova: Make Hugh the dream crusher like he should have been. Push Trip's battle further into the League too
Kalos: Alain not participating, it was stupid and utterly horrible writing. The League had nothing to do with his goal, he wasn't like Tierno/Trevor/Sawyer who actually aspired to win! He just cared about Mega evolution... Ash would have won but lost to Diantha, giving some actual meaning to all the build up and hype.
Alola: Kiawe being the only classmate participating, or rather the only one to make it out of the start

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Kanto: Ref of the 5th match gets taken out by the mafia (or just conveniently knocked out by TRio), allowing Ash's match with Ritchie to be a bit more dignified given how screwed over he was. Make it like the Electric Tale of Pikachu version where Ash's lack of training comes into play more obviously.

Orange Islands: Paralysis isn't fainting, either, ref. But Ash pulled through and won anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Johto: Nothing.

Hoenn: Have TRio start out rooting for Tyson because Meowth admires his Meowth, but have Pikachu vs Meowth first and Pikachu wins, so they switch back to cheering for Ash.

Sinnoh: Not only have Ash deliver an absolutely crushing, effortless defeat to Paul, but have Paul's crimes revealed to the people on national television (including to his brother, who would be horrified by his treatment of his Pokemon) and have him stripped of his right to be a Trainer and have all his Pokemon taken away from him permanently. Tobias battle remains unchanged.

Unova: Have Cameron bring 6 Pokemon, let Snivy defeat his Riolu even after it evolves, have Ash lose to Cameron's 6th Pokemon in a hard-fought battle.

Kalos: Show Ash's preliminary matches, make Pikachu the final opponent against Alain.

Alola: There's nothing to fix here except maybe extending the Battle Royal round to two episodes so we can actually see more of the takedowns.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Sinnoh: Not only have Ash deliver an absolutely crushing, effortless defeat to Paul, but have Paul's crimes revealed to the people on national television (including to his brother,who would be horrified by his treatment of his Pokemon) and have him stripped of his right to be a Trainer and have all his Pokemon taken away from him permanently.
I was under the impression that this was only a problem with his Chimchar at the time.

DatsRight

Truthfully I think build up was more vital for Alola. Mallow, Lillie and Kiawe all got places you'd expect them to with their experience, though I feel like they stretched Sophocles, Lana and Ash's team prowess a little.

I get they were calling back to the skills Lana and Sophocles did master throughout the series, making them more a 'brains against brawn' adversity, but I do still think they should have done at least a couple more proper competitive battles before hand to make it more plausible they were that fluent at it, why Primarina was supposedly far more sturdy an opponent than Tsareena rather than just more strategic, and how Vikavolt was strong enough to hold back a Z Move for a fair amount of time.

Meanwhile Poipole and Meltan, and perhaps also Torracat, could have used more training and battle time throughout the series as well (even if it is believable Ash could use them competently when the boosts happened).

Other leagues fell victim to this in places too. Kalos had Alain fetch five extra Pokemon out of his ass, while Cameron could have probably done with evolving Lucario BEFORE the Unova League.

Last edited:

Venomshock

I'd fix the Alola League by not having Ash's pals compete and making Ash versus Hau and Gladion full six on six matches. I'd fix the Sinnoh League by having Ash and Tobias battle without Tobias having any Legendary Pokemon.

Blastmaster

Kanto: Obviously don't disqualify Squirtle because of Sleep Powder. Also have Ash use Charizard because he was genuinely pressured by a strong opponent. With the opponents Ash was facing, it almost felt like if TR hadn't ruined things, Ash could've won the whole league without even needing Charizard.
Johto: Way too many OHKOes. Also way too many Pokemon tanking super effective hits just because.
Hoenn: I gotta be honest, even though this league doesn't have any major issues it was super forgettable. I guess let Grovyle evolve and give it more focus? Even BW had at least one highlight battle with Krookodile, but there really isn't anything here I consider a highlight.
Sinnoh: Give Torterra a win and bring back the whole eating Energy Ball thing. Let Gible evolve against Conway.
Unova: Rework almost everything. Let Ash vs Trip be a 3v3, let Ash beat Cameron and lose to Virgil. Also delete that useless filler where Axew gets lost.
Kalos: Actually show the battles and give Pokemon other than Greninja and Pikachu screentime. Delete the Furfrou guy. Have Ash win. Or at least tie with Alain. Or if he HAS to lose let him lose to Sawyer. Literally anything would've been more satisfying than what we actually got lol

Only seen small bits of the Alola League so I won't comment on it.