• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you "fix" the Sonic franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XYTWO

Not funny, guys
Um, sir, you do realize that Super Sonic is a transformation, and thus you basically want to beat up a tradition started when Sonic was just as good as Mario.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
How would I fix the Sonic franchise?

First, I would kill all of the new characters in a holy fire. Shadow and his emo story, Silver and his retched character, Princess Elise and her desire to hump a hedgehog, and all the rest of them because none of them are innovative in any fashion. Only leave Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, maybe Amy, Eggman, and the badniks. I don’t want them to think of any more enemies other than the badniks.

Then, I would get rid of any voice actors, especially 4kids. All the voice actors have been bad. Not a single one of them was good.

Then, I would focus the game entirely on speed, in straight lines or through loops. That is what Sonic’s games were about in the first place, 2-D platforming.

I would remake the old games, and then remake them again, then again in that pattern.

You see, the classics are good, and very few of the Sonic games after the Genesis were any good at all.

Sega needs to stop smoking pot and listen to their audience. We know what good Sonic games are; they don’t.

I need scissors! 61!

Edit: To those that didn't know, this is a fake rant. The rant above does not reflect my personal opinion on Sonic.

Last edited:

BCVM22

I would remake the old games, and then remake them again, then again in that pattern.

Sega needs to stop smoking pot and listen to their audience. We know what good Sonic games are; they don’t.

This is why this thread and the whiny fanbase that spawned it won't be taken seriously. Ever.

"Sega needs to stop smoking pot. We know what good Sonic games are; they don’t." Do you schmucks listen to yourself or do you just roar incomprehensibly at the packaging of the latest Sonic title and then draw words in the puddles of spittle and pass those off as thoughts?

Honestly.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
This is why this thread and the whiny fanbase that spawned it won't be taken seriously. Ever.

"Sega needs to stop smoking pot. We know what good Sonic games are; they don’t." Do you schmucks listen to yourself or do you just roar incomprehensibly at the packaging of the latest Sonic title and then draw words in the puddles of spittle and pass those off as thoughts?

Honestly.
Honestly, I was joking. The last line I said was to clue people in that I was just making a fake rant. I do not feel that way. This is my way to retaliate against the people that keep on saying how bad Sonic is.

Slick

Banned
Oh.

Sure fooled me. Good work.

That's what happens when you try to snap at people for every little thing without restraint.
8D

BCVM22

That's what happens when you try to snap at people for every little thing without restraint.
8D

Speaking of insane fans, shouldn't you be defacing Sega's offices with JET GRIND RADIO NOW! graffiti or something?

8D

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
Aw. How cute drama on the sonic board!

I don't really think there is a way to fix Sonic. I say put Tails in the spotlight! Kidding. I think there was post somewere that said no matter what Sega will do fans will always say NO YOU DID IT ALL WRONG SONIC IS ABOUT SPEED NOT PLATFORMING! Then when they give Sonic speed, its all about the platforms!

Chris

Old Coot
Speaking of insane fans, shouldn't you be defacing Sega's offices with JET GRIND RADIO NOW! graffiti or something?

8D
So wait...would I be considered insane for doing that?

...N-not that I have, or anything.

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
Big, wide open levels that don't have swords.
And that feeling of exilarating fastness.
And no more new characters.
Of course, everyone will complain no matter what the new game is, unless it's PERFECT.

Cobalt_Latios

Lishus13

Poli-Spriter!
I keep hearing you guys talk about implementing "Speedy, straight lined, JUST SPEED levels". Seriously, do you know how boring that would be? Plus, that would be VERY hard to pull off effectively in the current generation.
To fix the Sonic Franchise, we need to make more games like Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Sure, it had it's flaws, but any small minute flaw is better than seeing a hedgehog with a sword, a werehog, or a freakin' lightsaber (it's coming....).

Also, needs moar Chao.

pokemaster001

I keep hearing you guys talk about implementing "Speedy, straight lined, JUST SPEED levels". Seriously, do you know how boring that would be? Plus, that would be VERY hard to pull off effectively in the current generation.
To fix the Sonic Franchise, we need to make more games like Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Sure, it had it's flaws, but any small minute flaw is better than seeing a hedgehog with a sword, a werehog, or a freakin' lightsaber (it's coming....).

Also, needs moar Chao.

damn, you beat me to it, I would have just said "sonic adventure 3, simple as that" but you basically said that
I hate getting beaten to a post

jellsprout

Even if PP was joking, what BCVM said is true. And not just with the Sonic fanbase, but also with Zelda, Final Fantasy or any other large fanbase.
People aren't satisfied with the current games. So do they simply move away and try other franchises, or replay the old games? No. They have to go online and force their opinions down our throats. And to make it even worse, they have to go scream how any idiot knows what a good game requires, while they have no idea what their talking about themselves. Lets look at one of the more recent posts:

Big, wide open levels that don't have swords.
And that feeling of exilarating fastness.

Elaborate please. Big, wide open levels? Like some Hyrule Field type of field? Or a Mario 64 level? I don't see how you can get a "feeling of exilarating fastness" in such levels.
And about the "feeling of exilarating fastness", what do you mean by that? F-Zero GX's dizzying speed where you have half a second to react to the track or high paced action such as in a fighting game?

And no more new characters.

Every character was once new. Tails and Knuckles never appeared in the first game, yet they are accepted into the series. Back before Shadow's game I only heard people praising that character.
In other series too, pretty much all people loved Dark Samus. I never heard people complain about the Deku Tree.
Just the fact that a character is "new" has never hurt a serie. You may not like most of the new Sonic cast, but that doesn't mean that all new characters are auto-fail.

Of course, everyone will complain no matter what the new game is, unless it's PERFECT.

This on the other hand is the truest statement in this entire thread. Even if the developers will listen to the constant whining of the "fanbase", that very same "fanbase" will ***** down upon it for some minor details.
Look at the Zelda games:
The fanbase is *****ing on WW because "the style is too kiddy, the theme is too different from Ocarina of Time, the ocean is too large and the Triforce hunt doesn't fit in with the game".
Nintendo has obviously heard this critisism and tries to fix them with Twilight Princess. But now "the style is too realistic and mature, the game resembles Ocarina of Time too much, there aren't enough areas to explore and the game is too linear".
Nintendo has done exactly what the fans asked for, yet they still get kicked down.

The Sonic franchise doesn't need fixing. The games are still of very high quality and are very enjoyable. It is the fanbase that doesn't know what it wants that needs some finetuning.
If you don't like the games, then don't play them.

tl;dr version: Stop whining.

Last edited:
My main answer to the original question is: Return Eggman to being what he is - Doctor Robotnik. Simple as. All other problems will sort themselves out after that.

HERLS

LOLOLOL
You almost had me agreeing with you Jellsprout, until you said that the Sonic games are still of high quality. You lost me there.

Shadow The Hedgehog was a rough-around-the edges retcon-fest that relies purely on HAARDCORE gimmicks like guns and cars to justify its shallow gameplay, Heroes was a good idea with good audio/visual design let down with tedious level design, poor engine refinement and the worst voice acting in any 3D Sonic, Sonic 2006 was an abomination in every field but music (the only thing that has remained consistently good about Sonic), and SATSR was a generally average game. Sonic And The Black Knight was partcularly shameful not only for its complete disregard for what little staples of the Sonic series are left (loops?), but it also is incredibly well presented; it's got fantastic music, nice graphics for Wii, slick menus, charming cutscenes, and the fanart gallery. Shame about the gameplay. Such is true with Unleashed, that has dazzling presentation and running levels, but mediocre werehog missions.

Are there good modern Sonic games? Yes. But is the series consistent in maintaining high quality in all fields? Hell no. That's the most depressing thing about new Sonic - every game has got something right, but none of them have got everything right.

Status
Not open for further replies.