• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you "fix" the Sonic franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

I would have just said "sonic adventure 3, simple as that"

Between the varied gameplay spread over the multiple playable characters and the three separate stories, Sonic '06 was "Sonic Adventure 3" in just about every way but the name. We really haven't figured this out yet?

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
I used to like Sonic 06, they kinda went a little creepy with the whole Princess Elise X Sonic thing which was just plain awkard. Also what was with her legs. They were like hella dark.

E-Hero Winged Kuriboh

I remember one of the creators of Sonic Unleashed, when asked if SU would be Adventure 3 early in development, saying 'I thought that was Sonic Heroes'.
Maybe I'm mistaken, though.

But, yeah. Sonic 06 was SA3, just because it sucked doesn't mean it wasn't.

BCVM22

I remember one of the creators of Sonic Unleashed, when asked if SU would be Adventure 3 early in development, saying 'I thought that was Sonic Heroes'.

Whether you're mistaken as to who said it and/or where or not, it's a valid point nonetheless.

Sonic '06 was unquestionably "Sonic Adventure 3" the game, or rather it was the game that took the system of multiple playable paths each with a central character and each with a different style of gameplay that was established by the first two Sonic Adventures and reestablished it.

"Sonic Adventure 3" the story, or more specifically, Shadow's story that was begun in SA2, is split evenly between Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06.

Sonic Heroes established that Shadow - or rather, a Shadow - somehow survived the first battle of the ARK and was still alive on Earth and in stasis in one of Eggman's labs, to eventually be reawakened when Rogue broke in and accidentally activated Omega.

Shadow the Hedgehog firmly established and detailed Shadow's origins (created by Professor Gerald Robotnik with a blood transfusion from Black Doom and secretly given the capabilities and purpose of defending the planet from the Black Arms upon their inevitable return) and back story up to where Maria cast him from the ARK in the escape pod, which is the point at which his history as seen in SA2 began. The more detailed look at G.U.N. and an expanded role for that organization, Shadow returning to the debris left over from the first battle of the ARK in Earth's orbit and the Chaotix actually hacking the computers aboard the ARK (fortunately they were able to find the computer room) and encountering Professor Gerald's message and the reveal of the Eclipse Cannon's true purpose are all references to events and elements established in Sonic Adventure 2, making StH the direct continuation of Shadow's story as begun in that game. The final boss fight with Devil Doom includes a buried confession from Eggman that Shadow was in fact the original, found by Eggman after the first battle of the ARK, placed in stasis and cloned, which is where Rouge found Shadow at the outset of Heroes.

Sonic the Hedgehog established Shadow in the present after all of that hullabaloo, gradually adjusting to his place in the world and running the occasional mission for G.U.N. Mephiles attempts to fool him into a new vendetta against the people of Earth by showing him a dark future where the humanity has betrayed him and sent Omega to capture him, but by the end of the game that future is gone and Shadow is free to live his life. Execution of the game itself aside, the game established all that and depicted Shadow as slowly accepting Rouge, Omega, Sonic and co. as friends and allies, rather than cautious allies or enemies.

Last edited:

Slick

Banned

Chris

Old Coot
...she was wearing stockings...
One wouldn't think so, what with the way they modeled her legs. Looked more like they just slapped a coat of orange paint on her model's legs, as opposed to actually making them look like stockings.

In fact, they basically did the same method with her as they did with Phantasy Star Online, 5 years before.

HERLS

LOLOLOL
We can't fix the problem because the problem (fanbase) will probably complain about the next game...

The fanbase has every right to complain if they get unreasonable tripe (Sonic 06, Shadow), mediocre genre deviations (SATBK, Riders) or one half of a good game mixed with one half of a crap one (Unleashed).

Sure, the fanbase is generally annoying, but unlike Zelda fans or Mario fans, Sonic fans have genuine reason to be dissatisfied.

If they just took a step back, took a few years off with the main Sonic titles and re-evaluated what makes the good Sonic games so good, they could spout something brilliant. Problem is they're stuck in a cycle of a Sonic title every year or so, but they don't even properly have 3D worked out yet, so they're trapped in this unrelenting cycle of crushingly mediocre attempts at revising a formula that isn't even there. They went the whole Saturn era without a "core" Sonic title, so it wouldn't be unquestionable to maybe take a 2-year hiatus to recoup, get Sonic right and get back on track.

Killer_Squirtle

Follow my lead!
My friends are huge fans of the sonic franchise and they want a few things:
Violence, swearing and better dub [so basically for the first two, more shadow ^_^]

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
My friends are huge fans of the sonic franchise and they want a few things:
Violence, swearing

I suggest your friends to give up on the franchise. Sonic doesn't need to be GTA-fied.

Why would anyone want that option?

Antagonistic/anti-hero role that is embodied in the physical entity that played a factor in making Sonic popular back in the 90's?

And am I the only one here that doesn't really have a problem with the dub cast?

Mark_Chaos

WARP EVOLUTION!
The fanbase has every right to complain if they get unreasonable tripe (Sonic 06, Shadow), mediocre genre deviations (SATBK, Riders) or one half of a good game mixed with one half of a crap one (Unleashed).

Sure, the fanbase is generally annoying, but unlike Zelda fans or Mario fans, Sonic fans have genuine reason to be dissatisfied.

If they just took a step back, took a few years off with the main Sonic titles and re-evaluated what makes the good Sonic games so good, they could spout something brilliant. Problem is they're stuck in a cycle of a Sonic title every year or so, but they don't even properly have 3D worked out yet, so they're trapped in this unrelenting cycle of crushingly mediocre attempts at revising a formula that isn't even there. They went the whole Saturn era without a "core" Sonic title, so it wouldn't be unquestionable to maybe take a 2-year hiatus to recoup, get Sonic right and get back on track.
I get what you're saying, out the games you said I only liked SU and SaTSR and I would like Sega to do what Nintendo does, release Sonic games 2 or maybe 3 years apart. But what makes people say Sonic can't work in 3D, Mario can work in 3D, so why can't Sonic? Mario and Sonic back in the day were the same thing, the only difference was Sonic was faster. But again the fanbase is part of the problem. They complained about the voice cast which I never under stood since Ryan and Griffith sound almost the same, with Griffith just being unnoticeably higher pitched. But what makes you say the fanbase won't complain if the so called "core" Sonic game they want comes out. Personally I don't want a 2D game on my video game consoles like my PS3 and Wii. Leave that to my PSP and DS.
My way would be to make Sonic pull off what Mario did in Super Mario Galaxy. Keep the story, plat-forming, and speed but add something interesting that won't break up the flow of the platforming and speed without losing control of Sonic. That is one of the reasons I didn't like the PS3 version Day-time levels because Sonic was moving to fast, while the Wii version Day-time levels were actually at a controllable speed.

Cobalt_Latios

Yeah, didn't Shadow already do that? Plus the game supposed to be aimed toward kids anyway.
Yeah, Kids aren't the same these days anyway, so no worries.

*C_L*

[aka]

I honestly thought the gameplay of SA2:B was fun, so something based off of that and/or the daytime segments of Unleashed would be cool. In my opinion, however, the one thing that needs to be revived is the Chaos. Chao WiiWare/XBLA/PSStore/DSiWare game anyone? Of course if they made it Chao based, they'd have to make some other way of getting animals/rods, though I'm sure they could work it out.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
So... what you're suggesting is that they sacrifice what canonicity they've built up since Sonic 1 (the continuity may be crap, but at least there is some), kill off all of the characters post Sonic 2, and go back to the fugly Freedom Fighters of the early 90s, who are only remotely appealling to those who grew up with them back when they were relevant? That's just not remotely logical. Sonic's ingame story may not be of Slumdog Millionaire calibur, but it's certainly better than SATAMs.

Plus can you imagine how many fans they would alienate by canning the current continuity for the SATAM one? They'd lose a great segment of fanbase, plus it'd only serve to ruin the Sonic canon further by bringing stone-age cartoons into things.

As for cutting down on characters, I'd say that Unleashed adequately achieved that.

Alright, alright. I won't harp on the Sonicanime thing... Really it's more Sega Sonic than Sonicanime anyway. And personally, I'd rather have Sega Sonic than the anime.

If you're a fan of Sega Sonic, that's fine. More power to you. But there are a few things you need to know before you post anything else regarding Sonic. It was Sega Sonic that divided the fanbase, not SatAM. Sega Sonic can't even agree on concepts as basic as what Sonic's planet is called. I've actually e-mailed the people at Sega and asked what the name of Sonic's planet was according to Sega Sonic, and they couldn't give me a straight answer. SatAM just called it Mobius, and it was future Earth. Simple, huh (I think even Sonic X made a very subtle reference to that in one of the subbed episodes)? Second, Sega Sonic doesn't even KNOW what parts of their franchise are canon and what aren't, since they keep 're-inventing' Sonic every couple years. Finally, Sega of Japan (that's Sega Sonic, for you all at home) were the ones that added so many characters that the Sonic cast became larger than that of Pokemon. I hate to say it, but that was the reason the fanbase was divided, not SatAM (which as you said, came out in the early 90s, before the fanbase was divided).

Or in short. Sega Sonic has what, 50 characters? SatAm had what, 8 (maybe 9)?

Yes, research is your best friend.

But yes, I do agree that part of the problem is the sheer number of characters. I would definitely cut the cast down to size, and that's one of the reasons I'd go with SatAM. Because back then, there weren't so many characters that one couldn't remember the names of each of them. That kind of thing is just plain confusing to the general public. Why do you think Pokemon drops most of the cast after each Region? Because otherwise, we'd have a cast the size of Sega Sonic's. And that's not a good thing. And before you diss SatAm again, know that SatAm is considered by most of the fanbase as being the best Sonic cartoon ever made. Why do you think Shout Factory released a boxset and is planning a Blu-Ray boxset, but has yet to even touch Sonic X?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.