• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you handle Serena's character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeal

Posting with intent to annoy others
Ok, we all agree that Serena was poorly handled by the writers, treating her like a male companion rather than a pokegirl. So, I made this thread to ask how you would handle Serena in plot, pokemon, goals, etc.

I will give my ideas.

Plot: Serena run away from home to escape the Ryhorn racer training. After picking up Fennekin in Sycamore's lab, she don't not know what to do next, so watch the Ash and Garchomp news and remember Ash, deciding to meet him. Grace chase her for several episodes until find her daughter. So, she would try to take her back, but Serena would rebel against it. After a long conflict, Grace would accept Serena's decision.

Her first battle would be around XY010, the camp arc in XY020--023, her first showcase in XY027 and her first showcase around XY035.

Pokémon: I would give to Serena more pokémon. A Mudkip(evolves to Marshtomp), a Spewpa(evolves completely) and a Spurr(evolves to Mewstic).

Goal: I would keep the showcases, but I would make alterations. The first section would to be a solo performance. The viewers vote for the best performances and the most voted performes go to the next section. The second section would to be a battle of perfomances. Again, the most voted performance wins and the performer advance to the next round. Boys would can participate too.

And you? What would be your ideas?

DatsRight

Downplay the Team Rocket formula for more 'slice of life' episodes that can focus on Serena's personality. Some more comical plots like the cross dressing one but with a proper non-TR sabotaged ending she drove herself could have done her more justice.

Make the Showcases into something more concise. Also add a couple more so her rivals can score a few wins and give more of a noticeable change in style and effort to Serena's performances.

Have her battle a bit more to set up for eventually choosing contests (and make her battle with Ash more believable). More importantly let her lose a few times and be forced to improve. Show Braixen's battle style in her last battle gradually emerge throughout the series for example as she learns to better defend.

I'm fine with her team of three, but keep Sylveon in spotlight more after evolving, and maybe maintain a little of her jittery Eevee personality without abolishing her character development.

Some more interactions with the non-Ash characters like Clemont. And while it's more a fault on the part of Ash's character, seeing her interact more with his flawed side to make her acceptance that Ash can't be perfect for her more creditable. Also maybe have Ash going out of his way to bond with Serena more, similar to how he has Lillie. I could argue this one could still be fixed just by giving her a return appearance in SM.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Give her treatment similar to Dawn, have her do contests and not wait over 30 episodes to find out that she wants to do them, and definitely not having her wait until episode 60 to enter one. Also if amourshipping has to be a part of her character, then I would have her develop her crush as the series goes on instead of making her seem like a creepy stalker that only had Ash on her mind during the beginning part of her journey.

She would also battle alot more and they would have a conclusion, and wouldn't be interrupted all the time. She would also struggle and will be allowed to lose some of her battles as well.

Finally I wouldn't make her seem like a damsel in distress that needed to be saved all the time.

Her character was a train wreck imo and I feel that these would at least make her actually feel more like a character and not as much as a shipping fodder.

Jeal

Downplay the Team Rocket formula for more 'slice of life' episodes that can focus on Serena's personality. Some more comical plots like the cross dressing one but with a proper non-TR sabotaged ending she drove herself could have done her more justice.

Make the Showcases into something more concise. Also add a couple more so her rivals can score a few wins and give more of a noticeable change in style and effort to Serena's performances.

Have her battle a bit more to set up for eventually choosing contests (and make her battle with Ash more believable). More importantly let her lose a few times and be forced to improve. Show Braixen's battle style in her last battle gradually emerge throughout the series for example as she learns to better defend.

I'm fine with her team of three, but keep Sylveon in spotlight more after evolving, and maybe maintain a little of her jittery Eevee personality without abolishing her character development.
But Serena had three rivals. I think that giving her more would be pointless.

I forgot to add this. She would battle more, because if I were writer, XY would have tournaments.

DatsRight

But Serena had three rivals. I think that giving her more would be pointless.

I forgot to add this. She would battle more, because if I were writer, XY would have tournaments.

I meant develop on the ones she had. Give them a couple wins or better displays. Miette should have beat Serena at least once to boost their rivalry.

DatsRight

Yeah, I agree. Problem is, XY was 3 years long, so would be difficult do this. I would have liked if XY were 4 years long.

There were still plenty of crappy dispensable fillers in that time though. Two or three could have easily been replaced with showcases.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I echo everything @Pokegirl Fan~ said.

I also would of added more Pokémon to her team. I also would of gave her more of a character. What else did she do than be interested in cliche “girly” stuff, obsess over Ash and find her “dream”. I remember no distinctive character traits about her.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Try many things before deciding her goal (maybe even try fighting in a gym), make her start going to find ash AFTER getting her starter, make her idolize ash less later on (not because losing respect, but because she'd gain more confidence and independence), make most of her battles be earlier in the series (before deciding she wants to do showcases), and have more episodes focusing on her/her pokemon without TRio

DatsRight

I think maybe she should have had more character agency at the least, more in terms of niches and characteristics that contributed to the group.

Lillie for example shares a lot of Serena's demure qualities and is outshined by Ash in brawn and experience, but her role as the smart educated one of the group means she has more of a teamwork function and doesn't feel as dispensable.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I think maybe she should have had more character agency at the least, more in terms of niches and characteristics that contributed to the group.

Lillie for example shares a lot of Serena's demure qualities and is outshined by Ash in brawn and experience, but her role as the smart educated one of the group means she has more of a teamwork function and doesn't feel as dispensable.
I see no similarities between them to be honest. I honestly believe Lillie has more moxie than Serena and besides them both being kind hearted (which is basically every main character in Pokémon) they are not similar

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I meant develop on the ones she had. Give them a couple wins or better displays. Miette should have beat Serena at least once to boost their rivalry.
Yeah, Miette should challenge Serena about the Showcases more, than having her teasing the relationship with Ash.

Otherwise, I agree pretty much everything that was said earlier. :)

Jeal

Also maybe have Ash going out of his way to bond with Serena more, similar to how he has Lillie. I could argue this one could still be fixed just by giving her a return appearance in SM.
What do you mean? I think that she and Ash bonded very well. He treated her better than any past pokegirl.
There were still plenty of crappy dispensable fillers in that time though. Two or three could have easily been replaced with showcases.
Yeah, I agree that fillers should be transformed in plot episodes. But the problem is the pace. A showcase every 8 episodes would not be possible.

DatsRight

What do you mean? I think that she and Ash bonded very well. He treated her better than any past pokegirl.

My main problem was that XY Ash wasn't very emotive and he wasn't really put out of his comfort zone. He liked his companions and was nice and all, but they didn't feel like someone he really needed or had much change in his attitude. I just feel Ash has went out of his way more for some of his other companions.

Jeal

My main problem was that XY Ash wasn't very emotive and he wasn't really put out of his comfort zone. He liked his companions and was nice and all, but they didn't feel like someone he really needed or had much change in his attitude. I just feel Ash has went out of his way more for some of his other companions.
Explain that better. What do you mean by ''going out of his way''?

DatsRight

Explain that better. What do you mean by ''going out of his way''?

Well take Lillie for example. When he realised he'd accidentally regressed her phobia, we saw a morose emotive side to him. We saw how much hurting one of his companions cut him deep, way more than say, his argument with Serena in Snowbelle. He actually went out of his way to watch over Lillie afterwards and try and make things better for her. It was an adorably awkward moment you could tell he wasn't quite used to, not just giving inspiration speeches and pats on the back, but actually getting introspective to her and trying to directly comfort her. Then when she goes off on her own to Poni Canyon, he instantly follows her all the way there.

I'm not saying there wasn't a devotion with XY Ash, but it seemed more passive, like he wasn't really challenged or forced out of his shell with Serena. Her last episode was probably the nearest to an exception. With characters like Lillie I feel like there was more of a legitimate attempt from him to bond and be invested in them.

Jeal

Well take Lillie for example. When he realised he'd accidentally regressed her phobia, we saw a morose emotive side to him. He actually went out of his way to watch over Lillie afterwards and try and make things better for her. It was an adorably awkward moment you could tell he wasn't quite used to, not just giving inspiration speeches and pats on the back, but actually getting introspective to her and trying to directly comfort her. Then when she goes off on her own to Poni Canyon, he instantly follows her all the way there.

I'm not saying there wasn't a devotion with XY Ash, but it seemed more passive, like he wasn't really challenged or forced out of his shell with Serena. Her last episode was probably the nearest to an exception. With characters like Lillie I feel like there was more of a legitimate attempt from him to bond and be invested in them.
There was not much moments to do this, however. Serena was mostly happy. So it's not his fault.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I wondered if Serena's character and goal would be changed during the whole series if it was her who saved Ash and healed his injuries during their childhoods instead of the reverse...

Anyways, I would have handle her more about her adventure in Hoenn, to get her redemption than having to rewrite her Kalos adventure, as there's more novelty. And I'm sorry, I just can't stand Ash presence and as long he hogs the spotlights he's going to ruin her potentials no matter what.

Last edited:

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Does everyone really agree that Serena was handled poorly? I'm already thinking of certain users who are sure to post here soon.

Anyway, as much as I like Serena, I like her more for her herself rather than how she was handled as a Pokegirl. So, my changes:

Amourshipping: KILL IT WITH FIRE!

I think Serena's showcase goal suits her character perfectly, but I would either have her do contests or fix up showcases in a way that makes them feel more like a goal that is actually (imo) suitable for being the goal of a main lead.

I don't think I would make any team changes except for maybe adding buneary to her team. I love Serena's team. They suit her perfectly. <3

I'll edit this post if I think of more.

Jeal

Does everyone really agree that Serena was handled poorly? I'm already thinking of certain users who are sure to post here soon.
Well, when I started to see XY(around episode 25) I don't really cared about it, I liked the saga and liked her. But now, I see that she deserved a very better treatment. If you compare May and Dawn in their first episodes, the difference in treatment is notable. I think that I don't cared back then because I did see several episodes consecutively, rather than 1 episode every week like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.