• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you handle Serena's character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I maybe wrong on this, but I have the feeling that Ash had the lowest interaction with Serena compare to any other character. The only meaningful scene with them was the one where Serena threw snowballs at Ash.
In my opinion he had more meaningful relationships with the last PokeGirls. Misty was his first crush, May was someone he mentored, Dawn was arguably his best friend and Iris was practically his sister her always bickered with. All his interactions with the Pokegirl’s prior to XY were way more memorable. If Serena was wasn’t blushing at Ash every 4 episodes; I wouldn’t even be able to tell it was suppose to be a “romance”

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
In my opinion he had more meaningful relationships with the last PokeGirls. Misty was his first crush, May was someone he mentored, Dawn was arguably his best friend and Iris was practically his sister her always bickered with. All his interactions with the Pokegirl’s prior to XY were way more memorable. If Serena was wasn’t blushing at Ash every 4 episodes; I wouldn’t even be able to tell it was suppose to be a “romance”
Actually Giselle was his first and only crush. I agree that his interactions with the other female leads felt more meaningful.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Actually Giselle was his first and only crush. I agree that his interactions with the other female leads felt more meaningful.
Yeah, Giselle was also Brock 1st crush and probably the youngest one compared to the others. Other than that, I wished Brock could interact with Serena and Iris, them for being the only Pokegirls he didn't meet, and Bonnie too since she's into a grown girl hunt which would conflict him.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Could've been until they decided to keep them as friends and Tracey stole his girl.:cool:
I wouldn't be surprised if they revealed that Tracey has been dead since mid-BW

Slapstick-Olivia

Misty was his first crush, May was someone he mentored, Dawn was arguably his best friend and Iris was practically his sister her always bickered with.

Is it really 100% confirmed that Ash had a crush on Misty and she on him. Because I have a feeling this is just something shortly hinted in the english dup of the anime, but in the official Japanese translation their was no really clear sign that those two where in love with each other.

From what I have seen, I would categorize their relationships with Ash like this:

1. Misty = best friend
2. May = student
3. Dawn = second best friend
4. Iris = sister
5. Serena = a girl that he traveled with at some point
6. Lillie, Mallow, Lana = classmates

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Is it really 100% confirmed that Ash had a crush on Misty and she on him. Because I have a feeling this is just something shortly hinted in the english dup of the anime, but in the official Japanese translation their was no really clear sign that those two where in love with each other.

From what I have seen, I would categorize their relationships with Ash like this:

1. Misty = best friend
2. May = student
4. Iris = sister
I'd add Lillie on bring a sister figure to Ash too, he seems pretty protective of her and he's a better brother than her actual older brother who's distant and absent despite silently caring for her deep down because he's edgy.

There was a lot of Pokeshipping hints edited by 4Kids in the English dub but I'd like to think there were some hints until they just decided to be just friends. After all, no one can get between him and Pikachu unless it's Greninja.

Ash loves Pikachu. He doesn't love any girl, and Serena is lying to herself.
Serena's not lying to herself, she's determined by making herself more attractive! She'll show him!

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I wanted Serena to meet other Pokegirls like May & Dawn in Hoenn, and have one of them telling her that they used to travel with Ash before, making her realize that she isn't the 1st Pokegirl who traveled with Ash in a journey. I wondered how she would react.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I wanted Serena to meet other Pokegirls like May & Dawn in Hoenn, and have one of them telling her that they used to travel with Ash before, making her realize that she isn't the 1st Pokegirl who traveled with Ash in a journey. I wondered how she would react.
Same as the preview said when a kindergarten teacher was talking to Ash: "What will you do Serena?!?! "Insert Serena's worried face"":p

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Ash loves Pikachu and adventure. He doesn't love any girl romantically, and Serena is lying to herself.

I would say this is more on point.

Serena's not lying to herself, she's determined by making herself more attractive! She'll show him!

The only way she would probably get his attention is to cosplay as a Dunsparce. :p

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I would say this is more on point.
How I wish Pokemon had a timeline where everyone grows up and ages....I'm sure then Serena's crush (obviously one-sided) have gone somewhere then, including more interactions. Everyone matures more with age and and gradually gets rid of their denseness, I'm sure Ash would have too and in the process interact more meaningfully with Serena. Sadly the Poke-anime verse is a place where no one ages and Ash's companions are only meant for one saga and are barely seen again. In shows like Digimon where there is a definite timeline and everyone ages, childhood crushes and feelings ultimately develop into something really meaningful when the characters grow up: look at Matt × Sora, Ken × Yolei for example. :)

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Same as the preview said when a kindergarten teacher was talking to Ash: "What will you do Serena?!?! "Insert Serena's worried face"":p
They're probably going to challenge her in a battle to see if she learned anything during her Kalos journey with Ash. It would be a shock if she's far less experienced than the other two.

Slapstick-Olivia

I'm not really sure how this would worked. She is a very shy character. I mean she never really interacted with Clemont and she traveled with him true a whole region.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia

1. Misty = best friend
2. May = student
4. Iris = sister
Well they had the whole episode dedicated to Ash being jealous of Rudy and he outright implied Misty likes Ash

DatsRight

I'd categorise Lillie as a little sister as SM progressed as well, just while Iris is the outspoken bratty sister that bickers with him playfully (and likely wouldn't be had any other way), Lillie is the shy baby sister he's always protective of and can't stand seeing unhappy (granted Lillie had the privilege of being in a standstill premise series, so it was more blatant when Ash was going out of his way for her because he couldn't do so on auto pilot like when travelling).

May had semblance of being an in-between as well. Since AG they like playing Ash as an 'onii-chan', especially as his character got gentler.

Serena had the misfortune of being during the point the formula was starting to run at it's stalest with the companions, with Ash at his most passive and indirect. SM was the point the writers seemed to realise this and rectified it a little with premise twists or even a bit of in-story realisation from Ash (eg. feeling bad for taking Lillie's personal problems too lightly), meaning Serena came in just a little too early.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
AznKei said:

It would seem like too much of a good coincidence for Serena to meet one of Satoshi's old friends and have them mention him I think. But I did want to see her progress in Houen at some point.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Goal: I would keep the showcases, but I would make alterations. The first section would to be a solo performance. The viewers vote for the best performances and the most voted performes go to the next section. The second section would to be a battle of perfomances. Again, the most voted performance wins and the performer advance to the next round. Boys would can participate too.

And you? What would be your ideas?

I actually liked the first section of each showcase, since it was different each time. I wouldn't edit that. The battle sounds interesting but honestly I had no issue with the overall format of showcases, they could stay the same for me, they just needed to be written better.

-Serena should lose some just by someone else being better, not due to her own mistake.

-Boys can participate too, but it's still mostly girls. Then, at one showcase, a COTD boy is embarassed about wanting to do showcases because of his friends or whatever, and Serena shows him that he needs to just be himself.

-Amelia should have appeared earlier, and Serena should have lost her showcase despite being clearly better than Amelia, only because Amelia won her hometown's audience vote. It actually never made sense to me that Serena could win an audience vote in Amelia's hometown, so I wish she had lost, and she had had to come to terms with the fact that audience vote plays a role in showcases and stacked homefield advantages are something she'll need to overcome. Then she could beat a COTD at the COTD's hometown showcase later on. They could have made a good arc out of realizing the importance of audience vote in showcases.

-Nini can be scrapped.

-Miette should have beaten Serena at least once.

-Shauna should have beaten Serena more than just XY60.

Heck, even make Jessie a rival!

Yes, unlike May and Dawn, Serena didn't even interact with Jessie's disguise once this saga.

Miette would be a much nastier person and would function as Serena's Ursula or Harley type of rival.

I would prefer Miette to remain the same person but beat Serena a couple times. The role of just teasing about the ship should be separated from the nastiness, who should have been Amelia.

I maybe wrong on this, but I have the feeling that Ash had the lowest interaction with Serena compare to any other character. The only meaningful scene with them was the one where Serena threw snowballs at Ash.

Come on! They did other things! Ash gave Serena the gift in Coumarine City for example, which she then wore for the rest of the saga!

1. Misty = best friend
2. May = student
4. Iris = sister

I would replace "second best friend" with "a girl version of Ash" because it describes her better and was basically what she was: remember for example how she was so dense and clueless about Kenny's crush on her?

Status
Not open for further replies.