• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you handle Serena's character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slapstick-Olivia

Come on! They did other things! Ash gave Serena the gift in Coumarine City for example, which she then wore for the rest of the saga!

But didn't Ash gave her that ribbon, because he got it from a stranger and had no real use for it, so he gave it to Serena instead? This is in my eyes not really a meaningful connection between good friends. He just gave her something he couldn't use.

Epicocity

But didn't Ash gave her that ribbon, because he got it from a stranger and had no real use for it, so he gave it to Serena instead? This is in my eyes not really a meaningful connection between good friends. He just gave her something he couldn't use.
That downplays the reason he gave the ribbon. Sure, he had no great use for it because he got it from a random prize drawing, but the reason he gave it was because Serena had helped him figure out what gift to give his Pokemon, and so he wanted to give her a gift in return.

Jeal

I really have no idea why people say that Ash and Serena had little interaction. Just because they did not give a lot of high-fives or fought every episode does not mean they did not interact.

DatsRight

It just felt a bit one sided in Serena's favour, since Ash wasn't exactly emotive in XY, at least not to the human cast (his Pokemon, sure, it'll be Niagara Falls in fact, but the humans, they just felt "there" with him).

We at least get a little bit more introspective to how much he cares about some of the companions in other series and him being more proactive about them besides rescuing them in threatening situations, while in XY he just felt passively nice. As in "I like you okay but...meh".

Lillie and Misty brought more emotions out of Ash in one episode than Serena did in a whole series.

Jeal

It just felt a bit one sided in Serena's favour, since Ash wasn't exactly emotive in XY, at least not to the human cast (his Pokemon, sure, it'll be Niagara Falls in fact, but the humans, they just felt "there" with him).

We at least get a little bit more introspective to how much he cares about some of the companions in other series and him being more proactive about them besides rescuing them in threatening situations, while in XY he just felt passively nice. As in "I like you okay but...meh".
Tell a example. For me he was the same Ash of past sagas, just more serious.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I can’t argue about if XY Ash was different (well to me he was but yeah) but I can agree with him about Ash having the least amount of chemistry with Serena than any other PokeGirl. Heck Iris and Ash couldn’t stand each other existance at times and THEY still got an episode dedicated to showing they’d be miserable without each other in each other’s lives.

DatsRight

Didn't Ash legit tear up when Misty left? He outright ran to hug Brock in his SM return (not realising his attentions were elsewhere). With Lillie he felt REALLY guilty about regressing her phobia and went out of his way more often for her.

I think it's emotional display, the feeling the character is REALLY out of their comfort zone with this character but still goes out of their way to stick by them. Misty and Ash argued non stop but he still wanted her to tag along, as well as that really awkward attempt by Ash to cheer up Lillie. You could tell he's not used to getting that up close and personal with his companions in a long while, but he still has that absolutely gratified smile when she starts laughing.

XY Ash was never really out his comfort zone with Serena, everything was usually content, which was nice, but meant he never really got to show serious devotion to her, a sense he would well and truly go out of his way for her. They had one argument, but then Serena ran away and Ash was solely invested in finding himself again instead of making sure Serena wasn't upset. The kiss was the nearest to getting a unique alien reaction from Ash, but that was still underplayed and obviously the last interaction they got thus far.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ash and Serena's relationship was teasingly ironic given Serena's slow-as-a-snail crush on him. Ash was so not going to fall in love in any way with her if no other girl before her managed to do so indirectly. It did not help XY Ash was too battle-centric...(and the fact Sawyer was in love with the guy more than Serena could hope. Seriously, I think he was gay for Ash...like Alain).

At least Ash gave Lillie a damned egg in 10 episodes. All Serena got was a handkerchief.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jeal said:
I really have no idea why people say that Ash and Serena had little interaction. Just because they did not give a lot of high-fives or fought every episode does not mean they did not interact.

I thought that they interacted well enough. What I wish we had seen more of in XY was some meaningful interactions between Serena and Citron, though.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I thought that they interacted well enough. What I wish we had seen more of in XY was some meaningful interactions between Serena and Citron, though.
Yeah, it's a shame since some of their Pokemons do interact each other more than their trainers.

Jeal

Didn't Ash legit tear up when Misty left? He outright ran to hug Brock in his SM return (not realising his attentions were elsewhere). With Lillie he felt REALLY guilty about regressing her phobia and went out of his way more often for her.

I think it's emotional display, the feeling the character is REALLY out of their comfort zone with this character but still goes out of their way to stick by them. Misty and Ash argued non stop but he still wanted her to tag along, as well as that really awkward attempt by Ash to cheer up Lillie. You could tell he's not used to getting that up close and personal with his companions in a long while, but he still has that absolutely gratified smile when she starts laughing.

XY Ash was never really out his comfort zone with Serena, everything was usually content, which was nice, but meant he never really got to show serious devotion to her, a sense he would well and truly go out of his way for her. They had one argument, but then Serena ran away and Ash was solely invested in finding himself again instead of making sure Serena wasn't upset. The kiss was the nearest to getting an alien reaction from Ash, but that was still underplayed and obviously the last interaction they got thus far.

XY Ash was never really out his comfort zone with Serena, everything was usually content, which was nice, but meant he never really got to show serious devotion to her, a sense he would well and truly go out of his way for her. They had one argument, but then Serena ran away and Ash was solely invested in finding himself again instead of making sure Serena wasn't upset. The kiss was the nearest to getting a unique alien reaction from Ash, but that was still underplayed and obviously the last interaction they got thus far.
XY006: Ash gets his first badge thanks to Serena.
XY007: Ash invites Serena to travel with him, saying that they can help each other. The only time he did it.
XY040: Ash and Serena gets trapped under the cliff, and talk about dreams.
XY044: Ash gets his third badge thanks to Serena.
XY053: Ash is the only one that notice Serena's sadness
XY059: Serena inspires Ash about the gifts for his pokemon. He gives the ribbon.
XY&Z045: Ash notices Serena was not very well, and tries to cheer her up.

Serena was not useless to Ash's journey, nor he didn't care about her like the other girls. Like I said, high-fives and arguments are not the only valid forms of interaction.

You don't can use SM Ash to compare with Pre-SM Ash, they are completely different characters. Pre-SM Ash never would react like that.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
??? What does have to do with interacting with Ash?
Whoops. Honest mistake there. Ha ha.

Well, that probably makes things even weirder given they already had a backstory. Sort of. Unless she was actually trying to learn what kind of guy he was during that loooooooooong gap (though apparently the Alola classmates learned all about Ash in two episodes flat).

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Ash and Serena's relationship was teasingly ironic given Serena's slow-as-a-snail crush on him. Ash was so not going to fall in love in any way with her if no other girl before her managed to do so indirectly. It did not help XY Ash was too battle-centric...(and the fact Sawyer was in love with the guy more than Serena could hope. Seriously, I think he was gay for Ash...like Alain).

At least Ash gave Lillie a damned egg in 10 episodes. All Serena got was a handkerchief.
Heh, one could kinda say he payed more attention to sawyer and alain than to serena

DatsRight

It did feel at times like they were making Serena's arc as they went along, sometimes scoring a good idea, sometimes not getting anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.