• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you have formed the match ups in the PWC?

Sham

The Guardian of War
I guess you can include people who could have been there and pick who they should have fought but this is mostly focusing on the 8 masters and who you thought they should have fought in the first/second round

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
The lineup we had was fine, it leaves some things open-ended enough to where a second run of M8 in a future series can shake it up and close those gaps.

If I were to do anything, it would be to swap Alain and Diantha around. Alain would beat Lance, but him losing to Leon in the 6v6 at the same time Ash beats Cynthia, with Bond Phenomenon no less, would provide a clearer representation of Ash surpassing him than Ash beating Steven in the midst of two other battles of the quarterfinals did. Get that XY monkey off everyone's backs.

SatoSereFan224888

Well first off, I’d replace Alain with Flint. Flint obviously loses to Leon but he takes out one of Leon’s Pokemon early in the match.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Round 1:
Lillie vs Iris>Lillie
And that’s on period. Snowy is sweeping Iris weak a** team any day. Throw Alder in there as well. Jobbernite and cry baby- getting lost in a league Haxorus are outta

Dragonite and Mega Garchomp swept it so no reason why Snowy can’t. We didn’t get its moveset and that’s how bad it was. Snowy won’t even need to mega evolve

Last edited:

PaperCutVictim

I'd actually want Raihan in there instead of Alain, which would probably have meant Ash defeated Alain to get into the Masters 8, which I'm down with. I'd also prefer double elimination, but given how strapped for resources and time they are as is.... Kek

Sham

The Guardian of War
Oh I never actually said my match ups

Alain and Diantha should have fought each other because why were two Kalos representatives there anyway? They could have featured an Alolan trainer. Albeit Ash represents Alola but so does Diantha with Kalos.

Cynthia vs Iris I’d keep

Ash vs Lance since they were freaking building that up and Lance is from Kanto and Ash’s regional Champion

Steven VS Leon

and Lillie dominates all

Ash vs Alain- Ash wins
Iris vs Lance- Iris wins
Cynthia vs Diantha- Cynthia wins
Leon vs Steven- Leon wins
Leon beats Iris, Ash beats Cynthia
If no reserves, then have Ash vs Lance and Leon vs Tobias

Sham

The Guardian of War
Ash vs Alain- Ash wins
I'm sorry but I find the obsession of having Ash beat Alain on screen is wild. He just beat Cynthia free yourself from the Kalos tournament
Iris vs Lance- Iris wins
Eh, they don't each other
Cynthia vs Diantha- Cynthia wins
Now that's interesting
Leon vs Steven- Leon wins
Eh fine with this
Leon beats Iris,
Absolutely not. She was saved from a cruel fate.
Ash beats Cynthia
Yes
If no reserves, then have Ash vs Lance and Leon vs Tobias
Tobias?

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Why was Alain even here? Did he not return to being a researcher at the end of XY? Like yes he went off to look for Mega Stones but I fail to see why being in the M8 would be relevant to that or his arc. While most other characters in JN feel like they progressed offscreen I’d argue Alain felt like he regressed. Weird portrayal all around and he didn’t even get to battle Ash, which is what most people assumed he was here for.

Ryker101

Although I liked seeing everyone take on new opponents, honestly I think it’s better if they fought people they’re already familiar with. It feels more impactful. So I’d go
- Leon vs Lance
- Steven vs Diantha
- Iris vs Cynthia again
- Ash vs Alain

The semifinalists would probs be the same, although Steven seems to have the advantage over Diantha I could see an upset there

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness

MunchMunch

Round 1: (Top 8) (1v1)
Iris vs. Lance
Cynthia vs. Diantha
Ash vs. Steven
Nessa vs. Kuki

Round 2: (Top 4) (3 v 3)
Iris vs. Cynthia
Ash vs. Nessa

Round 3: (Semi-Finales) (6 v 6)
Ash vs. Cynthia

Round 4: (Finals) (6 v 6)
Ash vs. Leon

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
Aren't there like three threads exactly like this one?

<Normal Logical Common Sense Mode>

Round 1

Ash vs Alan
Cynthia vs Diantha
Iris vs Lance
Leon vs Steven
Kalos runback, hags, dragons, actually shows Leon's strength against someone who everyone considers truly strong and doesn't feel like he's punching down.

Ash vs Cynthia
Leon vs Iris
Over a decade in the making, shows there's still ways to go for Iris overall, maybe makes Ash wants to win even harder for the sake of Iris.

Ash vs Leon

Duh.

Also, Kalos Team, DP team and PM Team for Ash respectively.

<Fun Mode>

I'll be reposting these greentexts.

>Diantha beats Lance
>Cynthia beats Iris
>Ash beats Steven
>Leon loses against Diantha
>Ash loses against Cynthia
>Ash and Leon meet outside the stadium
>"Leon I lost"
>"Ash I lost"
>they look into each other's eyes for a moment and then burst out laughing
>"our journey is just beginning, there are still so many strong people out there, so many other pokemon to discover"
>Diantha vs Cynthia
>Ash vs Leon (unofficial match)
>outcome: unknown
>THE END
or
>Diantha vs Cynthia finals full of sakuga
>Leon has an all-out battle against Ash in an empty stadium with no outcome shown
>final shot is just Leon and Ash in the ground panting and smiling about what a great battle it was
>SV preview

Or...

They go for a don't count your eggs before they hatch kind of thing where Ash loses to Cynthia because he's unable to see what is in front of him and is too hyperfocused on Leon and afterwards Cynthia beats Leon after getting a waku waku power-up from her fight with Ash making her not want to retire.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Why was Alain even here? Did he not return to being a researcher at the end of XY? Like yes he went off to look for Mega Stones but I fail to see why being in the M8 would be relevant to that or his arc. While most other characters in JN feel like they progressed offscreen I’d argue Alain felt like he regressed. Weird portrayal all around and he didn’t even get to battle Ash, which is what most people assumed he was here for.
That is a good point. They turned Alain is a stoic emo because I guess he wore all black? I’m not sure. At the very least they could have involved Wallace. Not to mention he wasn’t introduced early enough to imply he’s still into battling.

It just seemed like they want to cut corners, find somebody Leon can destroy in half the time and save money.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I was content with the matchup and the fact that there were no *native* Alola trainers there.
Also loved that Diantha won against a champion of not only one, but TWO regions.
She is amazing

MetaMantis

Offline until Ash vs Leon
Round 1 of the Masters 8 - 4v4

Ash vs Steven - Ash wins
Diantha vs Cynthia - Cynthia wins
Leon vs Giovanni - Leon wins
Tobias vs Kukui - Kukui wins

Round 2 of the Masters 8 - 6v6

Ash vs Cynthia - Ash wins
Leon vs Kukui - Leon wins

Final Round - 6v6

Ash vs Leon - Ash wins combining massive aura sphere Lucario and Ash-Greninja water shuriken into a giant water aura shuriken sphere.

After the tournament, Ash faces off against his mother in a 6v6 battle.