• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How Would You Justify Ash Continuing His Journeys If He Won a League?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
While I’m liking the 2019 anime so far, watching Twilight Wings made me realize how I would’ve loved for the anime to have a Sword & Shield saga as a way to explore the Galar region. However, though I get that Ash isn’t traveling to another region this time since he won the Alola League, I’ve been trying to think how they could’ve made this concept work.

If you were in charge of the anime, how would you justify Ash taking on the Galar Gym Challenge after winning the Alola League? Or, if you’re one of those people who think the Alola League doesn’t count, how could they have justified Ash traveling to another region if he won any of the other major leagues he competed in (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, or Kalos)?

Kein

AKA Silktree
People are going to say that winning a league doesn't make you a Pokemon Master. That's true, but then what would winning a second league give you?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Same way as after the Battle Frontier. He still has so much more to learn. They kind of did that at the end of Alola too. I don't see the necessity in making it more complicated than that, or even making a league win matter that much, it doesn't change the fact that there are still tons of places he hasn't visited yet and tons of pokémon he hasn't encountered yet. Btw, this belongs in spoilers section.
People are going to say that winning a league doesn't make you a Pokemon Master. That's true, but then what would winning a second league give you?
A second league win.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
For this series drop the Galar Gym Quest and League and make a gym quest a step up from a regional gym quest by having a gym in each region. They could still use the Galar gym leaders except they would be representing all the regions, not just Galar.
Or have 8 tournaments in each region (like the Hoenn one) with the winners of each tournament qualifying for a world league tournament.
Either way i want a world gym quest/tournament and league over a regional gym quest and league as that would be redundant imo since Ash already won the Alola League and yes it IS a legit, real league :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Same way as after the Battle Frontier. He still has so much more to learn. They kind of did that at the end of Alola too. I don't see the necessity in making it more complicated than that, or even making a league win matter that much, it doesn't change the fact that there are still tons of places he hasn't visited yet and tons of pokémon he hasn't encountered yet.
Yeah, I can see that working for the other leagues, but I’m not sure about the Alola League since Ash is finally a champion, meaning he’s now on the same caliber as trainers like Steven, Leon, Alder, or Cynthia.

Btw, this belongs in spoilers section.
Oh, sorry. How do I move it?

Last edited:

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
If you were in charge of the anime, how would you justify Ash taking on the Galar Gym Challenge?
Ash's goal is to be the Pokemon Master.

Since the goal is undefined and there are no clear conditions for achieving it, they can literally do whatever they want with Ash for as long as they want.

Or, they could simply take the same old 'I can always become better/there are trainers stronger than me' route and have Ash just take on the Galar challenge for that reason. Wanting to get even more stronger than he is now, and the Galar gym quest is a way for him to do that.

This is probably what the writers will do in this new series too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'd make the Galar League more of a high-stakes competition than the Alola League by including a lot of powerful trainers that would give Satoshi a run for his money and pressure him into using his reserves. I personally don't think that Satoshi really needs to win more Leagues though since one was enough from my perspective, but I guess it'd be interesting to see if him winning more of them would get him closer to his Pokemon Master goal.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
He won a league, meaning he's a league champion, but not the regional champion like Lance, Steven, Alder and Diantha

To get the title, he'd have to claw his way through the Champion Circuit, where he'd spend another twenty years banging his head against the various region Elite Four members until he finally wins a champion cup and gets recognized as a Pokémon Champion

And then he forgets all about it and goes back to wandering the newest region and winning that league after struggling for another decade or so

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
Yeah, I can see that working for the other leagues, but I’m not sure about the Alola League since Ash is finally a champion, meaning he’s now on the same caliber as trainers like Steven, Leon, Alder, or Cynthia.

Uh, no...He just won the Alola League. Which doesn’t even count as a legitimate league anyway, since literally anybody could enter in it...As opposed to the other leagues where you actually had to prove your skills by earning badges or you couldn’t enter.

And even putting that side (cause I do think Ash is league winner level in general), he’s still nowhere near even Elite Four level yet, let alone Champion level.

So, even if he had won one of the legitimate leagues, there’d still be a lot more for him to tackle. Including other regional leagues, since one league doesn’t mean he’d automatically become a Pokemon Master. Like Tyson, Tobias, Alan, etc. didn’t become world famous after they won, did they?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Why should he stop at a milestone that’s only a portion of his overall goal? You don’t stop after college once you graduate with your major because that’s not your end goal: getting a career out of said major is. Plus he’s going to want to see new Pokémon and places being the overly excited kid he is. He’s never stayed still after a victory for more than a couple of episodes and I doubt that’ll change even after his hypothetical goal “completion”

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Uh, no...He just won the Alola League. Which doesn’t even count as a legitimate league anyway, since literally anybody could enter in it...As opposed to the other leagues where you actually had to prove your skills by earning badges or you couldn’t enter.

And even putting that side (cause I do think Ash is league winner level in general), he’s still nowhere near even Elite Four level yet, let alone Champion level.

So, even if he had won one of the legitimate leagues, there’d still be a lot more for him to tackle. Including other regional leagues, since one league doesn’t mean he’d automatically become a Pokemon Master. Like Tyson, Tobias, Alan, etc. didn’t become world famous after they won, did they?

Okay stop this bs that it isn't a legitimate league coz anyone can enter. That's what the battle royale is for. For all intents and purposes it is an offical legitimised league. The narrative treats it as so, the Pokemon company treats it as so. Stop posting your headcanon as a fact. It is a legitimate league.

Leonhart

Imagineer
XY Rules said:

It counts as a legitimate League in the anime. It's only some fans who downplay Satoshi's win there, and while I've also been critical of how that League was handled, I still consider it to be on par with the other major Leagues in terms of status, though not necessarily in terms of difficulty level.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
While I’m liking the 2019 anime so far, watching Twilight Wings made me realize how I would’ve loved for the anime to have a Sword & Shield saga as a way to explore the Galar region. However, though I get that Ash isn’t traveling to another region this time since he won the Alola League, I’ve been trying to think how they could’ve made this concept work.
Same. I'd like it much better if it's just SH/SW only because of EP..

If you were in charge of the anime, how would you justify Ash taking on the Galar Gym Challenge after winning the Alola League? Or, if you’re one of those people who think the Alola League doesn’t count, how could they have justified Ash traveling to another region if he won any of the other major leagues he competed in (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, or Kalos)?
Despite Ash won Alola league, he won BF challenge and OI league and he still continued his journey with badges -> league. Same would be here. Him getting badges -> league. But I'd made that region little bit harder since's he a champion. Like Galar is a region for experienced trainers AND Champion winners( Ash), so I'd make Paul, Alain, Tyson,Virgil return. But, I'd make Ash lose in that league because to learn that to becoming stronger trainer in the world would be much challenging.

BTW, off topic: if this Gen 8 is last region for Ash(like he becomes Pokemon Master) and Go takes over, I am done with Pokemon. Pokemon anime should end when Ash becomes Master and if he becomes, it's the end of Pokemon for me).
We all know how changing main characters ended up for some anime like Digimon, Yugioh, Naruto. They lost to many. Look at DBZ, One Piece,Pokemon where main characters are still same after all those years, they're still popular even today... I hope writers won't make that stupid mistakes as people in those other anime did.

BabaVanga

We all know how changing main characters ended up for some anime like Digimon, Yugioh, Naruto. They lost to many. Look at DBZ, One Piece,Pokemon where main characters are still same after all those years, they're still popular even today... I hope writers won't make that stupid mistakes as people in those other anime did.
Pokémon anime is an adaptation of the games (at least it was until the current series) and those change the protagonist each region.

It's not like Pokémon keeps their main characters either, because everyone not named Ash, Pikachu and TRio gets tossed after their respective series.

To make it make sense, they'd have to either keep the original main cast and make Ash train his original team, instead of getting new companions and new team each region and neglecting the old ones... or just change the whole cast and make their relationships with their Pokémon and the region actually mean something.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Pokémon anime is an adaptation of the games (at least it was until the current series) and those change the protagonist each region.

It's not like Pokémon keeps their main characters either, because everyone not named Ash, Pikachu and TRio gets tossed after their respective series.

To make it make sense, they'd have to either keep the original main cast and make Ash train his original team, instead of getting new companions and new team each region and neglecting the old ones... or just change the whole cast and make their relationships with their Pokémon and the region actually mean something.
Problem is that if they had that format since beginning; it wouldn't be as much of problem even though it would follow same fate as Yugioh.
GX and 5ds were popular but after that it was declining and declining. Maybe it'd be same as in Pokemon: AG and DP would've been good but it'd decline since BW and decline and decline and look at now: SM,XY and BW are still popular and holding well and new PM is also popular and where's Yugioh? Ash's battles with Kukui and Gladion racked like 5-6 million views per video when will Yugioh's new series: Zexal or whatever it is do that? Never.Only views for Yugioh come from Yugi and Kaiba like that new movie they did. Yugioh's worth is 20 billion BTW. And still Yugioh anime is on decline, this just means even if Pokemon is 90 billion worth if they changed/change Ash and Pikachu, it's over. Yugioh is affected despite already said 20 billion. ( games wouldn't be affected like Yugioh games, but anime would)

I mean Ash's victory in Alola was trending while I have never seen Yugioh anime new stuff trending..

And now they're even worse but they're far away into this to abruptly stop( like Ash becomes Pokemon Master in this gen 8 and Go takes over despite Rica said it takes long journey for Ash to become Master).

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
It'd be easy to make Ash win the Alola league and then have him compete in the next league to see if he can do just as well with tougher competition because let's be honest the Alola league was a joke compared to the Sinnoh league or the Kalos league.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It'd be easy to make Ash win the Alola league and then have him compete in the next league to see if he can do just as well with tougher competition because let's be honest the Alola league was a joke compared to the Sinnoh league or the Kalos league.
Eh the Kalos league was pretty average imo; the Alola league is better due to the fact that Ash won it for once. it would have been the best league if Lillie was the dream killer and winner of the league

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:

I suppose that him competing in more Leagues could be interesting to watch especially if the level of the competition is tougher, although from my viewpoint he'd have to win them all, because I wouldn't want to see him lose another League after coming so far.

NeganTheSavior

I think becoming a Pokemon Master isn't necessarily about winning leagues, but feeling a satisfaction within yourself and seeing what you can accomplish. To me, the whole point is recognizing you know a lot, and accepting there's still a lot to learn, no matter how far you get.