• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you rank all of the shows leagues (gens 1-7) in terms of "prestige"?

Morax

King of heroes
Geez can’t you guys go one topic without turning it into an XY vs SM mud slinging competition?

This went from assumed prestige of the leagues to snipping about the narrative elements of the series.
Never said i prefer either. My argument is about the extensive use of plot armor in the anime as a whole, not just SM.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Before his battle with frontier brain Tucker the announcer mentioned to the entire audience that Ash competed in the Kanto,Johto,Hoenn Leagues and won at the Orange League.
Oh man I absolutely loved that scene, it really respected ash as a trainer, hyped him up and was an amazing precursor to an amazing battle. Really hope something like this happens when he squares up to fight Leon
No offence, but this reeks of a thread created for the sole purpose of trashtalking Alola league... which is exactly what happening right now.
Thank you! Completely agree, this is why the original post felt disingenuous to me in general, they are treated with the same prestige in canon, but no let's trash on the Alola league and call it a lesser league and act as if it's established as a lesser league even though it's just our headcanon
So who else owns one?
Your logic makes zero sense. Same can be said for Alain and MCX lmao. Lycanroc by lore isn't just exclusive to ash, any rockruff can evolve into that, ash is the only one that got featured in the anime, that's all

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
My ranking:
1. Kalos
2. Sinnoh
3.Johto
4. Hoenn
5. Kanto
6. Unova

k6666

Pikachu Fan
I love alolan league the story, the build up , and etc but in term of qualification is just below the other league like everyone can enter the leagues but it’s kinda understandable because it’s the first league on the region of course they made that qualification for promotion, if they have strict qualification, I doubted many would join

Morax

King of heroes
Any trainer with a Rockruff evolving during the sunset. Not even in the games, Ash's Lycanroc is the only one Ash's Dusk Form Lycanroc, so he is far from a """plot armor""" who not even was treated as stronger than the other forms of Lycanroc.
Fair enough. But that doesn't invalidate other things i mentioned like naganadel, meltan and SatoPika Z
Same can be said for Alain and MCX lmao
Why yes, alain is another plot armored titan.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Thank you! Completely agree, this is why the original post felt disingenuous to me in general, they are treated with the same prestige in canon, but no let's trash on the Alola league and call it a lesser league and act as if it's established as a lesser league even though it's just our headcanon
But why do you take it as some kind of insult? Being less prestigious because it’s new doesn’t mean it’s a lesser league, it just mean it doesn’t have the same reputation yet. I mean look at ash, he’a a ‘champion’ but nobody makes a big deal out of it because the reputation isn’t there yet, doesn’t mean he’s not one.

Even irl a new competition needs to build up reputation and popularity over time through constant good showing.

Morax

King of heroes
But why do you take it as some kind of insult? Being less prestigious because it’s new doesn’t mean it’s a lesser league, it just mean it doesn’t have the same reputation yet. I mean look at ash, he’a a ‘champion’ but nobody makes a big deal out of it because the reputation isn’t there yet, doesn’t mean he’s not one.

Even irl a new competition needs to build up reputation and popularity over time through constant good showing.
To be fair ash is also the winner of battle frontier and they don't make a deal of it. It has nothing to do with reputation but poor continuity.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
To be fair ash is also the winner of battle frontier and they don't make a deal of it. It has nothing to do with reputation but poor continuity.
The BF isn’t a big event that gets broadcasted like the league and comes with a title tho. It’s more like a status thing that you can brag about to fellow trainers who know of it.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer

It isnt about the fact that I see it as an insult, its simply coz its not true lmao
Also as Morax said, thats due to poor continuity
He won orange league and BF and wasnt popular
He was one of the heroes of Kalos and was crucified in Prism tower and centre at the battle but no one recognises him
He has saved the world multiple times and no one recognises him
Help defeat villain teams
Him not being recognized for being alolan champion is due anime logic and poor continuity, it doesnt indicate the league is less important

DatsRight

I won't deny that SM's rules were more lax than most other leagues, however I don't buy into the idea that Ash's win was undermined by his team being plot armoured, at least anymore than usual. Ash (and most of the companions) spend nearly every series getting by on 'the power of really really wanting it'. It doesn't matter how unique his resources are if they start at the same power level and work for more no less than the 'normal' ones.

Add to that I at least appreciate SM lampshaded the incredulous amount of unique Pokemon he got in that region, however it felt like a minimal point to Ash and them. They worked and trained the same way other Pokemon did. You could argue Stoutland returning from the grave to teach Torracat Fire Blast was an unfair advantage but ultimately Torracat still learned how to do the move through trial and error.