• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you rank the Unova league in comparison with past leagues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilda

One thing I dont understand, Infernape gets 3 wins in a single battle and no one complains, Pikachu gets 3 which weren't all in the same match and people complain. Pikachu is Ashs strongest along-side Charizard, and it would been really reall really stupid for it to lose to Kotetsu's Lucario without beating anything else and getting tired. Then people would complain in the same manner as to when Pikachu lost to Trips Snivy in their first battle.

But still, how the **** does Ash lose to Kotetsu in a 5 vs. 6? First the Poison gym ********, and then this.
How could Kotetsu's Lucario beat 3 of Ashs Pokémon?

Last edited:

pokechamp95

kanto champion
naughtynun said:
The only opportunity to ruin the league they missed was having TR interrupt a battle. Terrible team for Ash, Terrible division of wins, Terrible writing of the battles, Terrible filler in the middle of the league, Terrible loss to Cameron, Terrible treatment of rivals etc
When you put it that way the Kanto league seems just as bad if not worse I mean TR interupted the league Gary got poor treatment besides the Kingler battle they weren't all that great : / and IIRC it also had a pointless filler and a terrible final battle

naughtynun

When you put it that way the Kanto league seems just as bad if not worse I mean TR interupted the league Gary got poor treatment besides the Kingler battle they weren't all that great : / and IIRC it also had a pointless filler and a terrible final battle

Fair point there, but I still enjoyed some of the battles, probably all of them but Ritchie; Kingler's match, Muk and Bulbasaur's match. I only enjoyed one of the three battles Ash had in the Unova league.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
One thing I dont understand, Infernape gets 3 wins in a single battle and no one complains, Pikachu gets 3 which weren't all in the same match and people complain. Pikachu is Ashs strongest along-side Charizard, and it would been really reall really stupid for it to lose to Kotetsu's Lucario without beating anything else and getting tired. Then people would complain in the same manner as to when Pikachu lost to Trips Snivy in their first battle.

But still, how the **** does Ash lose to Kotetsu in a 5 vs. 6? First the Poison gym ********, and then this.

People did and still do complain. Torterra should have beaten Ninjask to show that speed isn't everything!

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?

To be fair, people did complain a little about Inferape decimating in that battle while Torterra went down so quickly. And Pikachu defeating a Samurott and Swanna is just silly when there are pokemon on Ash's team (like Snivy) who could have realistically had those wins.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash

Actually, people tend to complain a lot about Infernape, that hogged a lot during the match vs Paul and during the gyms. However, during the Sinnoh League various Pokemon had left their marks, while in this League only Pikachu, Pignite and Krookodile have remarkable wins (I'm not counting Scraggy, since we saw only a segment, and Palpitoad, since he tied). Pikachu is basically confirmed to go to the next region (due to his mascot status), so it would have been better if the Unova team shined a bit more.

naughtynun

Actually, people tend to complain a lot about Infernape, that hogged a lot during the match vs Paul and during the gyms. However, during the Sinnoh League various Pokemon had left their marks, while in this League only Pikachu, Pignite and Krookodile have remarkable wins (I'm not counting Scraggy, since we saw only a segment, and Palpitoad, since he tied). Pikachu is basically confirmed to go to the next region (due to his mascot status), so it would have been better if the Unova team shined a bit more.

Exactly! Pikachu will ALWAYS be here, so why should those only around for 3 or 4 years be royally screwed over for the one Pokemon GUARANTEED to be be permanently on the team!?

I agree also that Infernape's wins were way too excessive. I complained at the time as well. Torterra should indeed have had one of the wins. However, its better a regional Pokemon hogs and then goes into the reserve group after its region/saga than Pikachu to hog when it will NEVER be in the reserve group!

I'm definitely in the minority here but I liked the unova league. it had its problems (like every league had) and I do wish it was an episode or 2 longer so they could of shown all Ashs battles but I'm not gonna bother complaining about it. I took the league for what it was and enjoyed it

pokechamp95

kanto champion
AceDetective said:
I'm definitely in the minority here but I liked the unova league. it had its problems (like every league had) and I do wish it was an episode or 2 longer so they could of shown all Ashs battles but I'm not gonna bother complaining about it. I took the league for what it was and enjoyed it
I'm glad someone else is giving the Unova league credit and see that it had potential to be a good league that filler and cameron batltle brought it down Q.Q

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
1. Ash has 10 Pokemon, yet only 5 got onscreen wins and 1 of them was a tie. That's disgraceful, I thought the whole reason the reserves existed was to dominate the league NOT becoming punching bags. But then even 2 out of the 3 starters got nothing! What was going on?

This.

2. In conjunction with point number 1, Pikachu got far to many battles. Pignite and Krookodile fair enough, but did Pikachu really need 4 battles and 3 wins? While I like the rat it got its redemption vs. Serperior, it needed nothing extra. It could have swapped its other two wins with Snivy then lost to Lucario after it evolved battling him instead.

No Pikachu didn't need all those battles. It's bad enough we get to see it every region, so I wonder who thought to over glorify the little rat in Unova when Ash has so many other pokemon he could have used.

3. What was the point in that filler? While it was a fun episode what was its purpose? Whoever decided to make that episode needs to be fired them 22minutes could have been used to show another 3 vs. 3 with Boldore and Oshawotts time to shine, instead we had to watch Axew chasing a balloon and getting stuck between fat people, I'd rather have watched TR selling popcorn.

Agreed. I was hoping to see Oshawott in action in this league instead he's sleeping near a garbage can. This series was the one of strangest.

Last edited:

RickHoenn

Banned
Pokemon League rankings:

1. Johto League (tie)
1. Hoenn League (tie)
3. Indigo League
4. Sinnoh League
5. Unova League

My favorite league battles:

1. Gary
2. Katie
3. Harrison
4. Tyson
5. Paul

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
Eh. It's as short and 'bad' as the Kanto League was. It's interesting that they made this arc pretty bad like the original one was, since this series is a throwback to Kanto in a lot of ways.

RickHoenn

Banned
Eh. It's as short and 'bad' as the Kanto League was. It's interesting that they made this arc pretty bad like the original one was, since this series is a throwback to Kanto in a lot of ways.

What do you mean by saying the original series was "bad"? it was much entertaining than Unova, Sinnoh arcs, granted battles and all of that **** developed, but that like everything it came as time goes on, but the Kanto arc was still entertaining, I found the Indigo League to be great even if its battles were lackluster compared to today's standards.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
Man the Gary Ash battle ALONE trumps all of the Unova league. I think that battle was the pinnacle of league story arch's we've ever seen. Ash had to be at the top of his game to fight Gary and he really shown us how smart and strong of a trainer he had become. He really brought his A game in that fight. I wish more leagues were taken seriously like that one.

1. Johto - the battles were just...epic. They didn't let down at all...and...I wanted gary to win. I cried when I seen how hurt he looked when he lost...literally...I'm a fangirl what can I say...

2. Hoenn - While the series itself wasn't my favorite, it was still good. The battles were nice and it was fun.

3. Indigo - I know this is mainly for nostalgia but come on, Kingler was amazing IMO >D that league just made me laugh more than any other. That and I to felt the pain Ash felt when he lost. The writers an artists did a good job showing the emotion and how hard Ash took it. Really made you feel kinda bad for him. This is more down to the emotions it gave me. It was more entertaining then Hoenn but because the battles were half written I felt Hoenn just deserved it more. Sure it was bad but it was entertaining, and the emotion it portrayed really moved you. Only league to make me feel as many feels as this one was Johto.

4. Sinnoh - If it weren't for nostalgia this one would be 3rd. Only problem is I didn't really watch Sinnoh. I had kinda lost interest after the Hoenn league so I actually missed it, though I looked at clips and read up on it.

5. Unova...I think you know why...

Last edited:

Lucille

I just don't understand why Ash didn't use his stronger Pokemon... I know the writer's were going to make him lose anyway but it could of been against Virgil. I hope next region Dawn comes back so Piplup can be the second mascot again and maybe Ash will start evolving his team again....end rant.

Though if Ash gets the chance to rebattle Cameron 6vs6 in Episode N and defeats him I wouldn't really mind that he lost this battle.

Haunter ゴースト

Oh god, the Unova League. Why did I anticipate it so much from BW001, it was absolutely horrendous. Besides the ending with Ash looking back at his Unova journey (doing what happened at the Indigo League), everything was awful.

Ash vs Stephan was the best written battle but it definetly wasn't the best, none of them were. I can't even rank the battles because they were terrible. Let's have a look at the reasons why it sucked so bad, and the good points after (which is a minority lol).

Bad:

-6 Episodes long, 1 being a filler episode.
-Battles were constantly being skipped making them seem much less important.
-Ash regressed in the League.
-Ash lost to an idiot Cameron in the League, his comedy went far beyond a joke and he just came off as stupid, Ash losing to him seemed ridiculous.
-Ash lost 5 vs 6 to Cameron making him look even weaker.
-Trip was knocked out staight away, no epic battle like Gary and Paul (the only thing i can say which would redeem this point is if the writers had planned all along a 6v6 with them at the end of the entire saga).
-Ash only had 3 real battles in the League, one was skipped.
-Ash's team seemed too weak despite being fairly powerful (this has been a problem all saga though tbh).
-The League was treated practically as a Club Battle, making it much less effective and special.
-Mr. Goodshow didn't appear at all.
-Virgil became champion, but nothing glorified it at all besides him holding the trophy. He left within seconds.
-None of the battles lacked any tension or thrill (this is my opinion however i'm sure people agree).

Good:

-Intro with Ash reflecting on each Gym Battle at night (nice reference to Sinnoh's League).
-Pikachu's tactic to defeat Serperior was cool.
-All of Ash's Unova Team got at least one battle.
-Pikachu vs Lucario was a good fight.
-Ending scene with Ash reflecting on his Unova Journey and meeting back up with Iris and Cilan was really nice to see (nice reference to the Indigo League too).

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Oh god, the Unova League. Why did I anticipate it so much from BW001, it was absolutely horrendous. Besides the ending with Ash looking back at his Unova journey (doing what happened at the Indigo League), everything was awful.

Ash vs Stephan was the best written battle but it definetly wasn't the best, none of them were. I can't even rank the battles because they were terrible. Let's have a look at the reasons why it sucked so bad, and the good points after (which is a minority lol).

Bad:

-6 Episodes long, 1 being a filler episode.
-Battles were constantly being skipped making them seem much less important.
-Ash regressed in the League.
-Ash lost to an idiot Cameron in the League, his comedy went far beyond a joke and he just came off as stupid, Ash losing to him seemed ridiculous.
-Ash lost 5 vs 6 to Cameron making him look even weaker.
-Trip was knocked out staight away, no epic battle like Gary and Paul (the only thing i can say which would redeem this point is if the writers had planned all along a 6v6 with them at the end of the entire saga).
-Ash only had 3 real battles in the League, one was skipped.
-Ash's team seemed too weak despite being fairly powerful (this has been a problem all saga though tbh).
-The League was treated practically as a Club Battle, making it much less effective and special.
-Mr. Goodshow didn't appear at all.
-Virgil became champion, but nothing glorified it at all besides him holding the trophy. He left within seconds.
-None of the battles lacked any tension or thrill (this is my opinion however i'm sure people agree).

Good:

-Intro with Ash reflecting on each Gym Battle at night (nice reference to Sinnoh's League).
-Pikachu's tactic to defeat Serperior was cool.
-All of Ash's Unova Team got at least one battle.
-Pikachu vs Lucario was a good fight.
-Ending scene with Ash reflecting on his Unova Journey and meeting back up with Iris and Cilan was really nice to see (nice reference to the Indigo League too).
That about sums up my thoughts... though I'd add that Virigil won the Unova league despite not owning a single Unova Pokemon. Great representation of this generation right there

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This would be either the worst or 2nd worst for me. Ash went backwards in his league placement (like I predicted he would) and it sounds to be anticlimactic and a bore anyways. My rating for the leagues from favorite to least favorite would be: Sinnoh, Johto, Hoenn, and a tie between Kanto and Unova.

Status
Not open for further replies.