• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you rank the Unova league in comparison with past leagues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Johto>Sinnoh>Hoenn/Isshu>Kanto

I mean I actually liked the figths up to Kotetsu but I think the Kotetsu figth was just awfully written.

TheNewGuy

Absolutely and unequivocally the worst league ever.

After how much thought and effort went into making Sinnoh great, they then insult us with this tripe? It's pathetic that this was allowed out of the office. Awful in so many ways; terrible rivals, mediocre battles, Ash actually REGRESSING.

In fact thays what makes me the most angry. Ash going from winning his greatest ever victory (over Paul) and giving Tobias a little bit of trouble, making the semi-finals in the process, to a meek
loss to some idiot in the quarters.

This is the worst league because of the dangerous precedent it sets. Why can't Ash lose in the last 16 of Gen 6 now? Why can't he continue for the next four leagues, the next 10 leagues, to just bounce between top 8 and top 4? There is now no guarantee thay Ash will progress, so is there even a point in watching now?

Actually, screw it. I'm declaring Best Wishes non-canon. Except for Krook. He can stay. But yeah.

I'd go as far as to say that this league was even worse than things like Thunder Armour ane Ash vs. Ritchie. It sets a precedent that essentially ruins a major point of the show, which is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

Kanto was forgivable because it was the first. But now we know they CAN do a great league, to try and peddle this trash is nothing more than an insult.

cg19293

There isn't really anything I need to add to this other than to say that I agreee with the consensus

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
I expected that Ash is going to get get Top 8 in the league since the start, to be honest. Because Ash was using his Unova Pokemoin apart from Pikachu and because, specially in BW, Ash's past accomplishments doesn't mean anything at all. In Best Wishes Ash is considered a new trainer. The reason that why it's Ash and not a new character is because Pikachu is way too popular to leave.

And with the exception of the Burgh-Elesa gap Best Wishes was rushed. Like the end of DP, the second part of BF, etc.

I think that Best Wishes doesn't need too many character if they aren't capable to give screentime to all of them. Specially for a saga that is more short than others.

thunderblade12

The only passable part was Ash vs Stephan. That's pathetic. Kanto had better battles and that saga didn't even focus on the action.

1. Johto
2. Sinnoh
3. Hoenn
4. Kanto]
|
|
|
72. Unova

naughtynun

1. Johto
GOOD:
1. ALMOST every one of Ash's Pokemon battled.
2. Pikachu didn't hog.
3. The teams Ash used were interesting (i.e not Pikachu, 3 starters, 2 randoms that get no wins).
BAD:
1.Kingler was maltreated for no reason.
2. Kanto starters hogged a little too much.

2. Sinnoh
GOOD
1. A fair amount of reserve battles/Sinnoh team battles.
2. A good amount of battles. (no only 2 non 1vs 1 battles)
3. Fantastic tactics and strategies contributed to it being the most unique league.
BAD
1. Tobias.
2. Certain Pokemon were given too much focus e.g Pikachu, Gible, Heracross and others e.g. Muk, Bayleef, Kingler etc. got nothing.
3. Skipping battles as though they had no time, after one of the longest and most drawn out saga's in history!

3. Hoenn
GOOD
1. Loads of battles, inckluding multiple 6 on 6's.
2. Interesting battles and league opponents.
BAD
1. NO reserves which made for Ash having the same 6 every battle, very boring in that respect.
2. Torkoal was shafted for no reason, there was no excuse given it was in only 6 Pokemon were used.

4. Kanto
GOOD
1. The battles were enjoyable, particularly Kingler and Muk's.
BAD
1. No 6 on 6's.
2. Charizard sleeping was PATHETIC of the writers.
3. No battles for Pidgeotto was unfair.

5. UNOVA
GOOD
1.Stephan's battle, bar Leavanny being screwed over.

BAD
1. No reserves.
2. NO genuine 6 on 6, one 5 vs 6 (!), one 1 vs 1 and one 3 vs 3.
3. Main Rival battle was a 1 vs 1, with a DEM Pikachu win.
4. Skipping battles for no reason and instead showing a stupid Filler.
5. TERRIBLE apportioning of wins, with Pikachu and Pignite hogging YET AGAIN as they had done in the gyms, and Krook getting an unfair extra win. Had they shown Ash lost to Cameron's 6th rather than 5th, and including Scraggy's win, there were 10 battles, meaning each Pokemon could have got one win each. Instead the favorites stole the spotlight.
6. Ash losing to a moron.

In short Unova was by MILES the worst league in my opinion. At least I enjoyed the Indigo league even if it was bad.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ash came in Top *SPOILER*, but does anyone else think he looks weaker?

For example in the Johto and Hoenn leagues Ash came in the Top 8, same as in Unova. Yet for some reason it feels like the Ash of those leagues was stronger than the one in Unova.

Its easy to explain, as if you rewatch those leagues Ash actually had a number of great pokemon, (and in Johto he didn't just rely on his Johto team, which was underdeveloped), and used strategy to win.

It probably also helps that Ash just barely lost to Harrisson and Tyson, as if he could have beaten them with a tiny bit more stamina.

I also think this sets a terrible outcome for the future. Now the writers can just keep juggling Ash between Top 8 and Top 4 like the next 5 generations. I mean he came in the same rank 3 leagues already. Kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

diakyu

His team is weaker. But it doesn't help that he was up against Cameron who has a good team.

pokefandt

Well that happened is all I can really say.

At the end of the day, this felt more like another Club tournament than an actual league. As much as a liked the club battles, this was kinda dissapointing.

diakyu

Okay after a bit of thought, here's what I came up with

Hoenn > Unova> Kanto> Johto>>>>>>>>>>> Sinnoh. Tobias why

FlyAsADunsparce

He does seem weaker than for example Sinnoh or even Hoenn. I don't know if that's because a lot of his pokémon aren't fully evolved or because the saga itself was kinda weak.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
He does seem weaker than for example Sinnoh or even Hoenn. I don't know if that's because a lot of his pokémon aren't fully evolved or because the saga itself was kinda weak.

I think its also because a lot of his Unova Pokemon didn't get a single win. Pikachu carried the league almost all by itself.

FlyAsADunsparce

1. Sinnoh.
I loved all the battles. Even the battles vs. Nando and Conway were animated beautifully and packed with action. His battle vs. Paul is one of my favorite battles of all time and I also enjoyed his battle vs. Tobias a lot. I also liked that it weren't just your average battles, but that Conway for example really used tactics with Trick Room etc., it made everything a whole lot more interesting.

2. Johto.
I also like this one probably because of nostalgia, but Ash vs. Gary alone was more entertaining than the entire Unova league. Ash vs. Harrison was also a good match, especially back then when Blaziken showed up for the first time.

3. Hoenn.
tbh I wasn't really a fan of Ash only using his Hoenn pokémon and that Meowth in boots just annoyed me. Other than that I liked the battles vs. Tyson and Morrison. Glalie was a boss.

4. Kanto.
I love it because of nostalgia. It was the first league and just watching it again it's awesome. However in terms of battles etc. you can't really compare it to the more recent leagues.

5. Unova.
Weak in every single way. The fact that Trip was kicked out in the first round and that he didn't even got to battle Bianca is really lame. Also his battle vs. Stephan wasn't spectacular, it was still good, but more on the level of Ash vs. Nando and I don't even wanna talk about Cameron and Virgil because they shouldn't even exist in the first place.

FlyAsADunsparce

I think its also because a lot of his Unova Pokemon didn't get a single win. Pikachu carried the league almost all by itself.

Right. Only Pignite, Pikachu, Krookodile and Scraggy got a win. It's crazy considering how many pokémon he has. I think a lot of people (including myself) were expecting a league as good as the Sinnoh League when it comes to battles, but all got disappointed. Let's hope the writers will redeem themselves in the XY-saga.

sSerenity

Pignite, Krook & Pikachu carry the league. The others were trashed :

Scraggy gets a offscreen win.
Palpitoad gets a tie (against a Zebtriska with FOUR NORMAL MOVES), so not so good.
Leavanny deserves to win against Sawk
Oshawott, Boldore, Unfeazant were humiliated (especially Unfeazant ... Losing against a Small Fighting type)
Snivy was decent against Riolu/Lucario ...

pokechamp95

kanto champion
The league isn't as bad people are making it out to be the only real bad things about the league were the filler episode and Cameron albid the Cameron battle brought it down alot.
For my favourites in order are
1. Johto
2. Sinnoh
3. Hoenn
4. Kanto
5. Unova
Yes I did put Unova last only because for me Kingler sweeping a league opponet was just so Boss I couldn't have the Kanto league last.
and for the people who are complaining about Ash getting top 8 well what did you expect he used only his unova pokemon plus Pikachu. It's better that he lost in an ok battle than OHKO sleep powder *looks at Indigo league* and a disobedient pokemon so stop complaining the writers could've made it worse and have him lose to a magikarp OUT OF WATER.

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!
The worst league is the Unova. eriously, do the writers even care what fans like. What if noone sees pokemon by being obsessed with bd Ash? C'mon writers, its we who watch the anime. So, do sth that we want. Hopefully, Pokemon X and Y will be the best among all. (Fingers crossed)

naughtynun

The league isn't as bad people are making it out to be the only real bad things about the league were the filler episode and Cameron albid the Cameron battle brought it down alot.

The only opportunity to ruin the league they missed was having TR interrupt a battle. Terrible team for Ash, Terrible division of wins, Terrible writing of the battles, Terrible filler in the middle of the league, Terrible loss to Cameron, Terrible treatment of rivals etc.

If I was Ash mother I be so a shamed of him now we know why his father left he could not bear the thought such a fail was his one and only blood son.

What are you on about!? Professor Oak has Gary as a grandson so must have another child, which might or night be a son!

There is no point being ashamed of a character, its not Ash's fault the writers couldn't be asked to bother this saga. I genuinely believe they should be sacked, at least whoever came up with the stupid ideas they churned out this time. If someone does a bad job, they get sacked. Simple.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
I don't normally comment on here much anymore, just lurk, however I feel like I need to vent the utter frustration and disappointment I feel from this league. While I have really enjoyed BW as a series with few genuine complaints I was feeling particularly confident that we would see an epic league, especially after seeing some of the great battles we had witnessed in the tournaments and the fact that it was looking like Ash was building up a large team specifically for the league, but no, instead we got the worst thing in possibly Pokemon history.

Here's a list of 5 reasons in no particular order why it was so bad...
1. Ash has 10 Pokemon, yet only 5 got onscreen wins and 1 of them was a tie. That's disgraceful, I thought the whole reason the reserves existed was to dominate the league NOT becoming punching bags. But then even 2 out of the 3 starters got nothing! What was going on?
2. In conjunction with point number 1, Pikachu got far to many battles. Pignite and Krookodile fair enough, but did Pikachu really need 4 battles and 3 wins? While I like the rat it got its redemption vs. Serperior, it needed nothing extra. It could have swapped its other two wins with Snivy then lost to Lucario after it evolved battling him instead.
3. What was the point in that filler? While it was a fun episode what was its purpose? Whoever decided to make that episode needs to be fired them 22minutes could have been used to show another 3 vs. 3 with Boldore and Oshawotts time to shine, instead we had to watch Axew chasing a balloon and getting stuck between fat people, I'd rather have watched TR selling popcorn.
4. Hardy any battles! While I thought Ash vs. Nando was bad for being skipped over in DP atleast we got to see the brunt of it. In this league half the fights where static images, Ash never even got to win a full 6 vs 6 and technically it was not even 6 vs. 6 it was 6 vs. 5. If he had a 6th Unfezant could have got a win, he could of had an Eletrik or a Klang!
5. Ash should have battled Virgil, seriously if you want to promote Eeevee and its family then how about you actually show them onscreen with their own episode in a decent fight vs. the shows star, Oshawott vs Eevee come on marketing wake up! Poor Leafeon did nothing. If we reappears that a slight redemption, however a battle should still have happened here.

Now 5 reasons why it was good...
1. Ash vs. Stephan
2. I got nothing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.