• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you rate Leon’s strength in terms of champion battles?

How strong is Leon

• Incredibly difficult

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Kinda strong

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • He’s okay

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • It was completely easy

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
In my opinion he’s definitely stronger than Diantha and Steven (ORAS) and probably Iris. I would rank him lower than Kuki (yes I’m counting him) and Cynthi however.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Depends on the battle it seems like. He's fairly competent and challenging as he's likely to be using higher level pokemon, but oddly for some reason his Charizard's AI sometimes repeatedly avoids using STAB moves for no apparent reason, making it easier to take down.

Luthor

A few things made this battle interesting for me. One I had no idea on his team apart from the obvious (managed to stay spoiler free). Second his team had a pokemon I had never seen in game at that point. (Dragapult) It had a pokemon naturally hard to fight against in Aegislash and the other pokemon were all fairly decent. Ironically the easiest pokemon to beat was the pokemon was said to be his strongest Charizard.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
He was kind of strong mainly due to his Haxorus. G-Max Charizard was only somewhat hard because I have a strict code of having my starter facing off against the Champions ace and Cinderace had no advantage while Charizard had Ancient Power

bigdaddy95

I can see how Leon could be difficult to a newbie or even the average/casual player, but if you knew what you were doing, even if you didn't spoil yourself with what his team was, he shouldn't have been much of a challenge. I agree with OP in that he was definitely easier than Cynthia and Kukui, but more difficult than every other champion.

Now his battle tower boss fights... those were fun! I can only hope that a third installment would include a battle frontier-type feature for a region that places great emphasis on battling lol

PsychoIncarnate

I was mostly underleveled and I swept him easily. I switched pokemon and even the lowest leveled member of my team beat at least one of his. None of mine fainted

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
Somewhat hard, but not too much until later. His Charizard gave me problems with his Max Overgrowth making me waste a Dynamax Drednaw x.x. I had nothing that could really outspeed him or take a hit on reload outside Cinderace, and it managed to survive barely from his Max rock moves for me to stall him out enough to get back to normal. Granted, that also meant I had no SE moves against him, and would Zen Headbutt him to fainting out of raw power and flinches.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Don't face him when most of your Pokemon are low to mid-50s while only having one that just reached 60. Him starting off with Aegislash was terrifying (although I don't know why they nerfed King's Shield despite Obstruct still getting the harsh drop on a different stat), and while I knew Dragapult existed, I'd never actually seen it. Also, his Charizard got the Ancient Power boost once it ran out of GMAX turns.

Orphalesion

I lost my first firght with him because yeah, my Pokemon were in their lower fifties and even after level grinding his team was pretty difficult. I had two fairy types and no counter for fire Pokemon so the two most difficult mons were Haxorus because of Iron Tail and Cinderace.
His "oh so powerful" Gigantamax Charizard, on the other hand, went down with a 1-hit K.O. from my Toxtricity.

That's why you don't use Charizard, Leon, it's not very good. Of course if they had given Leon's Charizard a ground move, it might have been a tad more difficult :p

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I would place him beneath Kukui, above the others.

His fight was hard for me, but my experience is outside the curve with 4 members of my team being weak to Fire (so screwed by Charizard, Cinderace and Dragapult's Flamethrower - Dragapult was faster than 5 out of 6 members of my team). If I had a properly balanced team like I had in Alola, I assume he fight would have been a lot smoother than Kukui was (it also helped making the fight harder the fact I had the Battle Style config on Set). Still harder than the other Champions, all of them I would beat effortlessly.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
He’s sort of strong. I had some difficulty with Aegislash and trying to predict when it was going to use King’s Shield And Inteleon took out my Runeagius. Mr Rime got really lucky and took out a Frozen Corviknight but other than all of that, I still managed to win by a slim margin.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I accidentally ended up significantly overleveled before the Pokémon League (like 10-20 levels above my opponents) from training in the wild area beforehand. Due to this, all of the Pokémon League (including Leon) was seriously easy for me. I might have more to say on his difficulty if I were lower-leveled, but I found him easy anyways.
Also, am I the only one who found Iris easy? I mean a solo'd (used a single Pokémon) for the entire generation V Pokémon League almost 100 times, including using Pokémon like Skarmory, Gliscor, and Durant.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
He has a pretty good team. To be honest, I think the easiest Pokemon to defeat is his G-Max Charizard but his hardest Pokemon, or the closest thing to hard in my opinion has to be Dragapult. Without a doubt more challenging than Diantha but I don't think he's as hard as Green Oak, Lance, Steven Stone, Wallace, Cynthia, Alder, Iris and Kukui.

Orphalesion

To be honest, I think the easiest Pokemon to defeat is his G-Max Charizard

Yeop. And that's the problem. This ridiculous case of "gameplay and story segregation" where we are constantly told about how "unbeatable" Leon and his Gigantamax Charizard are, when in reality it's incredibly easy to 1-hit or 2-hit K.O. it with a wide variety of moves. That whole, constant buildup for Charizard as Leon's ace and then....the only reason it even got to use a move in my case was because I switched Pokemon...

catzeye

Writer's Block
This was the first champion battle for me since Cynthia where I was actually had to use max revives. Mainly due to his Dragapult and Haxorus. I luckily managed to set up Stealth rock with Coalossal which made Charizard fight much easier. But his battle tower battle was rough.

I would rate his battle as quite difficult, but that was refreshing it felt like a champion battle to me.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I rank the champions like this.Please both this is my personal opinion

Cynthia

Iris/Ghetsis

Leon

Lance

Kukui

Steven

Diantha

Trace

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Don't know actually. Ever since gen 5, I never had much troubles with the champions. I easily went 5-0 against him. Rypherior caught me a bit off guard with Heat Crash, otherwise I would have easiliy defeated him with my Cornvknight. But I'd say he's top 5
Cynthia
Iris
N
Leon
Wallace
Lance
Green
Steven
Kukui
Hau
Diantha
Trace

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I noticed no one is including Alder in their lists. I found him easy as well (overall, the generation V Pokémon Leagues were really easy for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.