• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you rate Leon’s strength in terms of champion battles?

How strong is Leon

• Incredibly difficult

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Kinda strong

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • He’s okay

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • It was completely easy

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
He was actually challenging enough, but I didn't get to use my Ninetales during that fight.

Saberu

He was the first trainer I'd fought in the game that seemed almost evenly-matched, but I still took him down without too much trouble, especially because the spoilers Pokemon one-shotted his Charizard.

I really didn't expect that to happen. ):

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I will say this though. I don't think Leon is the hardest trainer of the series. As funny as this sounds, I think the friendly rival Hop is the hardest trainer of the series but that's only because of his legendary Pokemon and then there is the annoying defense buffs Hop applies to Corviknight and Dubwool.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I found Leon to be one of the only challenging trainers I fought in the game. Everything else was pretty much one shotted with only a few exceptions. His team had some great pokemon on it, but the ones that caused me the most trouble were Aegislash (great typing and most pokemon I had were physical so King's Shield was annoying), Inteleon (it hit fast and hard, but what really gave me trouble was that its Dark Pulse flinched my pokemon EVERY TIME), and his Haxorus one shotted almost three members of my team with its fast Outrage. Charizard wasn't a problem for me, as my Cursola had the special bulk to take a hit and then one shot with Power Gem.

Overall, in game, he was a decently strong trainer and was challenging. Battle Tower Leon, however, is a monster.

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
The fight with Leon started a bit rough for me, mostly due to my own mistakes, though.

I already had a big weakness in my team against steel types, so Aegislash took out my first to pokemon. I sent out cursola first but she was taken down quite easily as she wasn't the fastest on the field. Sadly she was also my only reliable steel counter, only other one who could take down steel types was my rapidash with High horsepower. Obviously, rapidash is fairy so it would come down to who was faster. Not only that Steel/ghost counters rapidash completely so she was out of the running pretty fast aswell ^^. Once i actually used my head tho i took the rest of his team down easily, mostly due to the fact that inteleon is insanely strong and countered every single pokemon on leon's team. I4m fairly sure i could have inteleon solo him completely with ease. Even tho my team was underleveled in the fight against him (first time ive been underleveled during the entire game) I imagine i'd have had bigger issues if inteleon wasn't there.

Overall, i beat leon first try. Now compared to previous champions, it's hard to compare, i never pay attention to make sure weaknesses of my team are covered so that usually makes fights harder than they have to when the type match up goes against my favour. Overall though, i think i had more issues with the earlier champions compared to the later (gen 5+) but that was obvious also a long time ago. I've never really struggled with a champion though unless i was very underleveled. Seems up to par with all the others.

Bus

He's hard to rate, really. He wasn't too difficult for me, but he seems to have been for a ton of others. All my pokemon were about 50-52 with only one being 60 since I was constantly rotating pokemon in and out of my team. My Ace, though, was Coalossal, who had a good Defense nature and it an absolute beast of a tank, so it took his entire team to try and take out my Coalossal since its speed was Maxed out after one Water hit. Without Coalossal though, I probably would have had a tougher time.

Against every other champion:

8. Lance (Strongest power team, but absolute easiest to beat since everything other than his Gyrados is super weak to ice and even that has a 4x weakness to Electric)
7. Kukui (Nothing terribly strong and the Sun/Moon AI was ultra dumb; all you had to do to avoid a potentially fatal Z move was throw out someone resistant and the trainer would never use it)
6. Steven (Another strong team like Lance's, but they were all garbage slow, so it was pretty easy to get the right counter in and take them all out. Only difficult one would have been Metagross, but even then it wasn't too rough)
5. Diantha (only good pokemon she had was Mega Gardevoir, but if you had a fast enough Poison type, you didn't have to worry about it. It was when you didn't that have one that she would become scary)
4. Leon (Decent strength if not carrying a highly resistant tank pokemon)
3. Blue (OG games were harder to level in and his team was pretty high leveled. Plus E4 was a tougher gauntlet if you didn't prepare right back then)
2. Cynthia (Garchomp was 4x weak to Ice but mega fast. If you didn't kill it on turn one and it Dragon Danced? Your team was wiped)
1. Adler (You could only fight him as the champion on the second run through the Elite 4 since team whatever interrupted, so his pokemon were all in the 70's and they were good pokemon. If you went in unprepared, you were gonna get steamrolled)

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
He's hard to rate, really. He wasn't too difficult for me, but he seems to have been for a ton of others. All my pokemon were about 50-52 with only one being 60 since I was constantly rotating pokemon in and out of my team. My Ace, though, was Coalossal, who had a good Defense nature and it an absolute beast of a tank, so it took his entire team to try and take out my Coalossal since its speed was Maxed out after one Water hit. Without Coalossal though, I probably would have had a tougher time.

Against every other champion:

8. Lance (Strongest power team, but absolute easiest to beat since everything other than his Gyrados is super weak to ice and even that has a 4x weakness to Electric)
7. Kukui (Nothing terribly strong and the Sun/Moon AI was ultra dumb; all you had to do to avoid a potentially fatal Z move was throw out someone resistant and the trainer would never use it)
6. Steven (Another strong team like Lance's, but they were all garbage slow, so it was pretty easy to get the right counter in and take them all out. Only difficult one would have been Metagross, but even then it wasn't too rough)
5. Diantha (only good pokemon she had was Mega Gardevoir, but if you had a fast enough Poison type, you didn't have to worry about it. It was when you didn't that have one that she would become scary)
4. Leon (Decent strength if not carrying a highly resistant tank pokemon)
3. Blue (OG games were harder to level in and his team was pretty high leveled. Plus E4 was a tougher gauntlet if you didn't prepare right back then)
2. Cynthia (Garchomp was 4x weak to Ice but mega fast. If you didn't kill it on turn one and it Dragon Danced? Your team was wiped)
1. Adler (You could only fight him as the champion on the second run through the Elite 4 since team whatever interrupted, so his pokemon were all in the 70's and they were good pokemon. If you went in unprepared, you were gonna get steamrolled)
How you would you have ranked Wallace and Iris?

Baggie_Saiyan

I was over levelled pretty much every battle except Leon when I was under. I had to use 5 revives during the battle last time that happened was vs Ultra Necrozma! I didn't get as far as needing X items thanks to Dynamxing just stalled his Charizard out by sacrificing Mons and then used the new fish Mon to finish him off.

Although since I only knew he had Charizard that probably added to the difficulty of not knowing what he had, esp the starter that was weak against you, once I get through Shield he probably won't be as difficult I'd imagine.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
In Shield, I had some difficulty with his Charizard and Dragapult. I had to sacrifice Rillaboom to use a Max Revive on Eternatus by which time the Gigantamax wore off and I took it out with a Dynamax Cannon. Dragapult took out my Kommo-o but I did a bit of damage before going down with a Dragon Claw. Grimmsnarl took care of the rest with a Dark Pulse. Haxorus in turn took out Grimmsnarl with a single Poison Jab but then it fell to Eternatus. Cinderace oddly went down after two Brines and the user was actually Beartic. It survived to Acrobatics which is odd since you’d think Cinderace would immediately go with the super effective Pyro Ball.

Bus

How you would you have ranked Wallace and Iris?
Wallace was Pure Water, so another one who's easy to predict and take out. All his were bulky too, his Milotic was the Ace, if I remember right, so better to use something physical and electric or grass against it. As for Iris, again, solo type, Dragon. Ice erases dragon trainers since we, as actual human players, know how to cover for their weaknesses better lol

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
The second Champion I feel I've been challenged after Cynthia.

I always play Pokémon in 'SET' mode with catching all the species I encounter, fill my Dex, collect every item and battle every corner trainer. Thus, with auto Exp. Share on, I was overleveled in the main story by at least 8 levels above than any trainer. I was pleasantly surprised to see his levels were exactly the same as mine.

Uses two Dragons, which one is relatively slower and mono-type, but counters Fairy types well. I assume his IVs are all set 31 like Cynthia. Also, people who chose Grookey may have had a bit rough time with Cinderace's speed and Pyro Ball combination, but I had cornered his Rillaboom well. Overall, I did enjoy his presence as Champion and he wasn't just a bluff.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Leon was more difficult than the champions in Gen 6&7 which was nice since we haven’t seen a difficult one in a while.I also find it funny how nobody thinks of Leon as incredibly difficult

NeoDude-5000

Leon was tough, maybe about as tough as Cynthia. And that is a great breath (a fiery one) of fresh air since previous games post Gen IV (excluding ORAS) had champions that were either too easy, strong but not that strong, or in Alola's case yourself. I also think Leon might be my new favourite champion.

GMax Helios

I had a pretty damn tough time. I beat him on my 1st try, but it wasn’t exactly easy, and my Pokemon were lower leveled. And while I will never be interested in competitive, I always make sure no more than 2 of my Pokémon share the same weakness. I believe my team was:

GigaZard
Dreadnaw
Espeon
Boltund
Obstagoon
Dragapult

Overall... Yeah, definitely the hardest Champion. But it was fun, exciting, and I finally got that epic Charizard vs Charizard battle I was waiting for. Sorry Kukui, you’ve been topped as the best final boss in the main games.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Locking this now, please don't bump threads that are over 60 days old. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.