• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How would you react to an increased number of moves?

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
I made a thread about this very same question a while back, didnt get much responses like this one but hey.

Anyway i would welcome it. Why have 500/600 known moves and only limit to choosing 4? And it doesnt have to make things unbalanced, it could even the playing field by tweaking the mechanics a bit. For example: super effective moves that are 2x can be reduced to 1.5x, 4x effective moves by 2x. 1x and 0.5x would remain unchanged. That would give the game more of a challenge. Longer battles, rather than a opponent's Pokemon or your Pokemon being taken out by a super effective move in one turn, etc.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
5 moves wouldn't make any difference, I honestly wish they would just make it that HM's where a secondary abilities, water types could Surf. Flying types fly etc.

As far as anything being OP, there are about 3 actually broken Pokemon in competitive right now, and an extra move isn't gonna make them less broken

Last edited:

The Mustache

5 moves wouldn't make any difference, I honestly wish they would just make it that HM's where a secondary abilities, water types could Surf. Flying types fly etc.

As far as anything being OP, there are about 3 actually broken Pokemon in competitive right now, and an extra move isn't gonna make them less broken

Of couser it would! Have you never heard of the "4 slot syndrome"??? Togekiss is the main victim lol

zhixun

I think a Pokémon to have more than 4 moves actually helps because there are more moves introduced. My playing style is use as few Pokémon as possible in order to clear the stage faster. So most of the time I will rely only on one to two Pokémon even when I reach Elite Four and the champion. I do not want to let my Pokémon to forget some awesome moves barring one to two slot are occupied by HM which are required by the games.

Mudcat

I'd have to disagree with the notion of increasing the number of move slots. As it is, Pokémon is a challenging series that forces the players to think strategically, and part of that is the four move limit.

I do agree that field moves need to be reworked, however.

The Mustache

I think a Pokémon to have more than 4 moves actually helps because there are more moves introduced. My playing style is use as few Pokémon as possible in order to clear the stage faster. So most of the time I will rely only on one to two Pokémon even when I reach Elite Four and the champion. I do not want to let my Pokémon to forget some awesome moves barring one to two slot are occupied by HM which are required by the games.

exactly! however I don't think we would accept that well (the players...) It would ruin the competitive maybe

Citizen Insane

Eh, life is a game.
I wouldm't like it. 4 moves is enough for me and makes it more of a competition IMO.

LittleLadyLeafeon

Struggling Cutie

I totally agree. Having 5 moves would make a difference in gameplay, though, but it would be useful. For me, in-game, when I have to take a move slot up just to teach one of my Pokémon an HM that really grinds my gears. Surf is a pretty good attack, but for others like Cut or Flash, are only really useful when trying to get through to the next town. So speaking from a strictly in-game standpoint, it would be nice to have 1 extra slot that can ONLY be used for HMs. That way, you'd still have to acquire the HM, but then it wouldn't be taking up a slot that could be used for battle. Then again, I don't know how hard it would be to integrate this in code- or if it's even do-able. But it would be nice.

As for competitive play, while I've never done it myself, I can see that adding more than 4 moves would change the structure completely. So maybe, if the idea above about an extra HM spot works, then during competitive play that HM spot is unusable- occupied with a move or not. That way, battling would not change, but in-game it would eliminate the problem of really only having 3 slots for moves.

exeRegret

Im sure the meaning is to keep pokemon more special and unrelated to each other to keep them all from having the same moves

LavenderGhost

Silph Scope required
It's a difficult one to call. I would like the increased options Pokemon would have in battles, but onthe other hand it would take some of the strategy out of the game.

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin f
I'm not much of a competitive player, but I don't think a wider variety of moves would be horrible. :3 It might make battles more competitive if you have a wider variety of moves to choose from since you'd get a wider range of moves to choose from and therefore more type variety.

Shiny pokemon lower

I would like to have more than four moves. Mabye Upgrade to six? Or mabye the game makers could add a new mechanic where you could train your pokemon's memory so it could been able to have more moves at the same time.

kisspower12

I am me
4 moves is enough for me. I also like the struggle for deciding only four moves. It gives you something to think about. anymore would kinda make everything overpowered.

Kataphrut

Four moves is fine, though I would certainly approve if more were added. I reckon it would be much more preferable to make HMs count as separate abilities. That way, there would be no more need for HM slaves.

It would take me a while to get used to there being more than four moves. A fifth would come in handy, yeah, but would also open up lots more possibilities for the opponent - I'd be rattled.
Although,

I reckon it would be much more preferable to make HMs count as separate abilities. That way, there would be no more need for HM slaves.
This would be neat.

Impreza

As a competitive player I don't think I'd like it, mainly for all the previously stated reasons. But I also feel like a lot of Pokemon would become a lot more independent and need less team support, when battling is supposed to be all about having a team whose members support each other in the best way possible. Obviously a lot of Pokemon would be able to provide even more support with that extra move slot but still.. I'm all for changes but I don't think adding another move slot would be a good one. Just imo

I definitely agree that HMs should be items or whatever, though

Luthor

I would like to have more than four moves. Mabye Upgrade to six? Or mabye the game makers could add a new mechanic where you could train your pokemon's memory so it could been able to have more moves at the same time.

as someone earlier suggested how about if there were 6 moves but only 4 could be used per battle it might make it not too powerful.

jrmftw

Green Dragon Trainer
I would prefer it to stay at 4 moves.
However, I would love it if HM's were are natural ability for use outside of battle that got unlocked after earning certain badges (aka earning the trust of your Pokemon).