• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How young is too young? The Makeup discussion thread.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
i think if make-up is applied right girls can look fine with or without it.

shay

CustomUserTitleGO!!!
I think that its probably best to wait until high school to let a girl wear makeup. But if a parent wants to let their daughter wear makeup its their bussiness. Kids are mature faster these days and sometimes you find 12 year olds looking 15-18 because of the makeup. Its when this happens that a parent really needs to regulate how much makeup their daughter wears. Theres a big difference between some lipgloss and maybe eyeshadow that would more appropriate for a 12 year old then a full face of makeup for a 16-18 year old.

Kabuto

little punks!
67. Why such an impratical age? Because girls looks like clowns with makeup. And earrings are stupid and self mutilating. Once you're 67 and look like a shriveled up raisin anyway, go ahead, because it can only help at that point.

Poliwag2

ship it holla
An arbitrary age is exactly that - arbitrary.

Whenever a girl feels compelled to sexualize her appearance, she is "ready".

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Well for the most part make up makes you rely on it as it takes the natural beauty your face has making you apply a little more each time. That's if you abuse it though. I'd say it's too early when you have no imperfections on your face to speak of.

HoennMaster

Does anyone else find this wrong?? Or am I just an old-timer??

Your just going overbaord with it.

Some of you have a narrow mind perspective and only see make-up as a way to get a guy, it's not. What is so wrong with a 12 year old wanting to wear make-up just because she likes to wear a little? NONE. You people act as if EVERYONE puts on huge amounts when they don't. Think before speaking.

Profesco

gone gently
An arbitrary age is exactly that - arbitrary.

Whenever a girl feels compelled to sexualize her appearance, she is "ready".

It's that simple; whenever they feel like it, they're ready? =/

Could the same logic be applied to driving, marriage, or college attendance? Surely 'feeling like it' is not any sort of indication of being ready for something.

Or are those quotation marks around 'ready' denoting a meaning I've missed? :p

Poliwag2

ship it holla
Could the same logic be applied to driving, marriage, or college attendance? Surely 'feeling like it' is not any sort of indication of being ready for something.

If we agree that "ready" means "understands all of the consequences and is therefore making an informed and rational decision", then yes... do it when you feel like it. Since there are limitless outcomes to every decision, nobody is arguably "ready" to do anything at any finite point in time.

I trust an individual's judgement better than a third party's (the government) regarding that individual's own actions/best interests. Therefore, if one feels like doing something, it is not absurd to assume that one knows something of the potential consequences. Mistakes will happen, but we learn from our own mistakes, not from the government's.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
how can you compare make-up to driving, etc? the consequence of make-up is not even close to what you listed.

Strants

It's that simple; whenever they feel like it, they're ready? =/

Or are those quotation marks around 'ready' denoting a meaning I've missed?
I have to agree with Poliwag2: it's silly to just slap an age on something, as if having survived a certain number of rotations around a star denotes maturity. Honestly, what separates a 15 year old whose birthday is tomorrow from the same child the day after his 16th birthday, maturity wise? I'd have to say not much, unless something really life-changing happened in the span of two days, which I find more than a little far-fetched.

And between individuals, the idea of a simple age limit becomes even more absurd. Why should a 19 year old be going to college while that 16 year old who is much smarter stays in high school? No matter how much research goes into creating a specific age limits (and in this thread, not many people seem to have put a huge amount of thought into the ages they choose, not offense meant) there will be outliers who totally defy the stereotype that has been set down for their age.

Profesco

gone gently
Er, no, I purposely left out any claims of age at all. That's not what I was asking about. =P

If we agree that "ready" means "understands all of the consequences and is therefore making an informed and rational decision", then yes... do it when you feel like it.

In the first part I quoted, Poliwag2 said: If they feel like it, then they're "ready." But in the part I'm quoting here, it looks to me like the "ready" comes before the "feels like it." Or something like that. I'm afraid I'm just confused at how only feeling like doing something translates into "understands all of the consequences and is therefore making an informed and rational decision." In that way, I'm not sure how "ready" follows from "feeling like it."

And lol, I wasn't trying to compare the effects or uses of make-up to those other examples I gave. Sorry if I made it look that way. ^_^;

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
well i think what Poliwag2 tried to say is that if any girl is ready for make-up, that's all it takes to know what the purpose is for it; whether they make themselves uglier or not is their own problem.

but make-up isnt harmful in the slightest, so why not leave it up to the child more often than not?

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
well i think what Poliwag2 tried to say is that if any girl is ready for make-up, that's all it takes to know what the purpose is for it; whether they make themselves uglier or not is their own problem.

but make-up isnt harmful in the slightest, so why not leave it up to the child more often than not?
Well it is good to at least suggest how much to use. As make up does take skin pigment away after lots of use. Guide them how to moderate it is at least the best way to handle that.

I think it is fine if girls wear makeup as long as they don't get obsessed with it. Vanity is perhaps the least well known of the seven deadly sins, but it is one of them. Besides, can anybody honestly say that Tammy Fay Baker looked good with all that makeup on?

Harkett

whatisthisidonteven
I think this is ridiculous debate topic, for starters. And I believe that past the age of... say, 11, a young girl should be able to use some make-up, but a regulatory amount, until she learns that she looks like a clown/moron/***** when it's loaded on in the buckets.

I dont believe that a girl is "ready" hen she deems that she's "ready". It's the same reason why most of us over 18 look back at our younger years and realize why our parents wouldn't allow us to do some of the crazy things we asked for, or tried to get away with.

Moderate use is best, obviously. Cover-up, slight enhancements, but don't make it look like you're flaunting it, please.

And I do believe that its significance to young girls lies in the fact that its a mark of maturity, much like a first training bra, a first period, etc. No details needed, correct?

Vanity is Insanity.

Strants

I think this is ridiculous debate topic, for starters. And I believe that past the age of... say, 11, a young girl should be able to use some make-up, but a regulatory amount, until she learns that she looks like a clown/moron/***** when it's loaded on in the buckets.
If this is so true (which is the feeling that I'm getting, given the number of people who have said it), then shouldn't the learning curve for the amount of make-up you put on be rather short? I am pretty sure that most people don't mistake disgust for fawning.

It kinda depends on the age, but usually, girls below the middle school level shouldn't usually wear make-up since it hides their already young face. It really does depend though... o_o

Kakama

Loli Hunter
You see a 12 year old wearing heavy makeup and she looks kinda ****ty. But then that's how I like my 12 year olds. Hey people, their body is sexually activated, let them do it, why not? Now I think what people are getting at here is exaggerated makeup, and in my opinion no one should wear that ****; not that there should be a law against it, it's just an open target for making comments about how awful they look. A touch of blush or mascara never hurt anyone though. Why just yesterday I saw a really cute 12 year old and we seemed to have a connection until her giant tank of a dad showed up.

Jink

DY-NO-MITE
I'm fourteen, and I don't wear make-up because frankly, I don't need it.
I have nothing to hide, so why should I wear it? I understand that people of all ages use it to 'enhance' their appearance, and that's fine, that's their choice and if they feel better about themselves when they wear make up, who am I to say that that's wrong?
It's just that most people my age, when they wear make-up, they only clog up their pores from putting too much on or, they don't know how to apply it correctly and end up looking like they should be on a street corner.

I believe that younger girls shouldn't wear it because they're just kids. They should be enjoying their youth, not obsessing over their looks. Make-up is something that little girls see as a "big girl thing" and if they wear it, they'll feel more mature. And that's a big thing with preadolescence girls, they're so close to becoming a teenager, and they want to be more mature, or at least seem that way, so they'll usually resort to wearing make-up. Companies often take advantage of this desire that these girls have and that's why we have all those padded bras and lace underwear for young girls and shirts that read "Miss Princess" or what have you.

I'm not sure what age is truly the "right" age to start wearing make-up. I'm sure that if my daughter were ten, I wouldn't allow it, but maybe fourteen. I know the pressure that comes with growing up, and wanting to seem more grown-up. A lot of my friends can't believe that I don't wear make-up, but they also understand that I don't even need it. I also understand that not everyone is as lucky as me, to not need to wear anything to feel confident. I guess it really depends on the person who wants to wear it and why they want to wear it.

Since twelve seems to be the age we're stuck on, so I'll use that. Twelve-year-olds are either (In the U S of A) in 5th grade of elementary, or 6th of junior high. Now, to me, a fifth grader isn't as much surrounded by older kids, (assuming the school is separate from another or the older grades don't mix with the younger) so, they aren't exposed to more mature kids and what they older kids wear, say, and do. Now, sixth graders are a different story. Everyday, they're with older girls who are far more matured and knowledgeable than they are, so naturally, they might feel intimidated. For most of these young girls, one way to feel more accepted and more alike the older girls is to impersonate them by wearing similar clothes, saying similar things, and overall, just copying their style. That includes wearing make-up. This is the type of make-up wearing that kind of bugs me. These pre-teens mashing the gunk on their face just really looks bad. It's like if a woman well into her 40s were to wear her hair in pigtails, sport a "My Little Pony" T-Shirt, and start sliding down the slide at the local park. It just seems out of place.

tl;dr version: It depends why they want to wear it and how old they are. Oversexualizing young girls is wrong, but for an older girl (fourteen, fifteen) make-up may seem like a rite of passage, and we shouldn't keep it from them if they truly want it. Granted they use it with some knowledge and don't end up looking like Divine.