• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hows everyone doing during Corona?

UwULifeGaming

We're Blasting off again!
That sucks. I'm so fed up with quarantines and lockdowns that I honestly think people should let themselves get sick just to get it over with. The death toll would be unfortunate of course but it wouldn't be bubonic plague levels of bad at least.

Probably would help global warming, but idk.

TwilightBlade

That sucks. I'm so fed up with quarantines and lockdowns that I honestly think people should let themselves get sick just to get it over with. The death toll would be unfortunate of course but it wouldn't be bubonic plague levels of bad at least.

That's dangerous thinking because a lot of people getting sick at once would overwhelm hospitals and then they'd be understaffed which would lead to more deaths. :( We just need a vaccine asap.

Like TwilightBlade said that is dangerous thinking. It'll lead to a spike, causing healthcare systems to become overwhelmed. More people dying including ones that could be saved when not being overwhelmed. Plus it wouldn't solve anything. I've had colleagues who've had Covid-19 and got zero antibodies so they can get it again.

Also, there's 3 known variations of the disease, which are currently more or less geographically bound since international commercial air travel is still pretty much down. But if you have antibodies for one variation, they won't work against the others. And there's always the chance more mutations will happen.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I stay in SC which at one point was in like the top 5 for most reported cases a day. Idk how it is now, I try not to saturate myself with things COVID related. Hear enough of it, from being in management, at work.

Only pro I see is I don’t have to work till 9. So getting off while stuff is still open is a W.

The US has become a complete laughing stock. First they envied us...
Now they pity us...
Tbh, with its healthcare system and gun violence among other things, it has been a really long time since the US has been envied by the rest of the world.

Xuxuba

Tbh, with its healthcare system and gun violence among other things, it has been a really long time since the US has been envied by the rest of the world.
Also, racism. Lots and lots of racism.

Literally, as soon as i stepped out of the plane the first thing i heard from the airport security was a racist joke.

But yeah when it comes to the coronavirus, Brazil is not doing that great either. They are opening up a lot of things, even tho things just seem to be getting worse and worse.

I know i ain't going out anywhere, but that sure is affecting my health so i might consider taking some walks, with a lot of precaution tho.

OwensJB

That's dangerous thinking because a lot of people getting sick at once would overwhelm hospitals and then they'd be understaffed which would lead to more deaths. :( We just need a vaccine asap.

But the vaccine will take months maybe even a year to produce and it's going to be expensive as hell too. And besides doesn't the virus mutate after a while? So even if a vaccine is made that combats the current virus strain there will just be a more advanced strain later on and we'd have to go through this again.

KierTronik

Oshawott is bab
Things were improving here where I live but now there's been talk about a second outbreak so it looks like we're back at square one and we'll need a vaccine to get out of this mess. How awfully convenient.
big f

But the vaccine will take months maybe even a year to produce and it's going to be expensive as hell too. And besides doesn't the virus mutate after a while? So even if a vaccine is made that combats the current virus strain there will just be a more advanced strain later on and we'd have to go through this again.
You can use the old vaccine as a base if it mutates. The ultimate plan is to completely eradicate it though like they did with smallpox. Can't mutate anymore if it's all dead.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
So far the virus outbreak hasn’t drastically affected my life aside from the quarantine period. I did miss being able to go to Goodwill and a couple of other stores in my area but it was nice only having to go to one part time job twice a week instead of two jobs with one being five days a week. My co workers have also been lucky not have been infected or test positive which is very important when you work in a nursing home.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
You can use the old vaccine as a base if it mutates. The ultimate plan is to completely eradicate it though like they did with smallpox. Can't mutate anymore if it's all dead.
Polio has had a vaccine since the mid 1950s but that disease still exists in some parts of the world. Also we’ve been studying aids for roughly 40 years and still no vaccine. Making a virus extinct isn’t really possible; we got lucky with smallpox being wiped out completely but various diseases still live on (mostly in third world countries) despite vaccines.

I know there talking about it happening early next year but I think that’s just a prediction of the earliest it COULD happen, not necessarily when it WILL happen. Even if a vaccine does come for COVID (which knowing how slow things work in medicine could take 6 months to 25 years), the message will just shift to “shutdown till there’s a CURE” instead of just vaccine, just it went from “flatten the curve” to “shutdown till there’s a vaccine”, and if a full cure does happen, then the new message would just be “shutdown forever”.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think the anti-vaxxers will be the biggest problem. They keep encouraging people not to vaccinate their kids and act all surprised when kids die from preventable diseases that they technically caused. There’s one book called Melanie’s Marvelous Measles that shows having the disease as being wonderful. I sort of want to write a parody of that book where Melanie thinks it is so wonderful being sick when it gets extremely serious and she’s in pain and dies and the last words of the story are “And the measles were marvelous! Or at least until Melanie died an extremely painful death. The end.”

OwensJB

I think the anti-vaxxers will be the biggest problem. They keep encouraging people not to vaccinate their kids and act all surprised when kids die from preventable diseases that they technically caused.

I think people give anti-vaxxers too much credit. I blame the media for that but let's face it most people aren't going to suddenly stop vaccinating their kids just because a bunch of conspiracy theorists tell them not to.

I'm more worried about how much the vaccines will cost and whether my health insurance will cover most of the cost than I am about what anti-vaxxers have to say.

Polio has had a vaccine since the mid 1950s but that disease still exists in some parts of the world. Also we’ve been studying aids for roughly 40 years and still no vaccine. Making a virus extinct isn’t really possible; we got lucky with smallpox being wiped out completely but various diseases still live on (mostly in third world countries) despite vaccines.

I know there talking about it happening early next year but I think that’s just a prediction of the earliest it COULD happen, not necessarily when it WILL happen. Even if a vaccine does come for COVID (which knowing how slow things work in medicine could take 6 months to 25 years), the message will just shift to “shutdown till there’s a CURE” instead of just vaccine, just it went from “flatten the curve” to “shutdown till there’s a vaccine”, and if a full cure does happen, then the new message would just be “shutdown forever”.
Oh yeah, viruses are horrible to try to exterminate. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try and that is the ultimate goal we should try going for with every virus. Even if it's nigh impossible.

Also you can't shut down a country forever. Here everything's slowly opening up, yes it's rising again because of that but slower than expected. I'm also doubting they'll shut down entire countries again in the future and will probably do that more on a state/province/district level or even city level.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
Oh yeah, viruses are horrible to try to exterminate. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try and that is the ultimate goal we should try going for with every virus. Even if it's nigh impossible.

Also you can't shut down a country forever. Here everything's slowly opening up, yes it's rising again because of that but slower than expected. I'm also doubting they'll shut down entire countries again in the future and will probably do that more on a state/province/district level or even city level.
And I’m not saying we shouldn’t try to minimize the damage either; I’m just saying we need to be realistic in that we can cover 90-95%of everything but there’s that 5-10 that just isn’t possible to get. And it can still grow from that 5-10 again to a bigger number.

that’s not gonna stop some people from trying. The cases are going back up and some states are looking at closing down again even though rising cases is inevitable when u reopen.

I just want an explanation on how a disease with a 99% survivability rate is apparently the most deadly and dangerous disease in human history; other diseases, some more deadly and/or easier to spread never led to things like masks everywhere or forcing tens of thousands of small businesses to close (and in some cases not reopen cause they couldn’t afford the hit).

And I’m not saying we shouldn’t try to minimize the damage either; I’m just saying we need to be realistic in that we can cover 90-95%of everything but there’s that 5-10 that just isn’t possible to get. And it can still grow from that 5-10 again to a bigger number.

that’s not gonna stop some people from trying. The cases are going back up and some states are looking at closing down again even though rising cases is inevitable when u reopen.

I just want an explanation on how a disease with a 99% survivability rate is apparently the most deadly and dangerous disease in human history; other diseases, some more deadly and/or easier to spread never led to things like masks everywhere or forcing tens of thousands of small businesses to close (and in some cases not reopen cause they couldn’t afford the hit).

It's a combination of different factors. One is its high infection rate. It's more virulent than the flu. Combine that with the current globalization and the sheer amount of people there are on the planet and you have a rapidly multiplying disease.

Yeah, this is far from the worst disease in human history. Ebola has a mortality rate of 50% but is not as infectious. The Spanish Flu was really infectious but there were just a lot less people back then nor wasn't the world as connected as it is nowadays. Same with the bubonic plague.

Combine that with a ton of misinformation. China lying about its death toll, governments worldwide barely taking precautions beforehand and labeling this as a slightly more dangerous flu and still unknown factors of exactly how and when this came into the world (there's frozen sputum samples from France from December that tested positive, months before it was supposed to have reached Europe). As well as the "coincidence" that there happens to be a lab in Wuhan that researches coronaviruses (the Chinese bioengineering something? A decontamination gone wrong and someone working there unknowingly taking it home?).

A mortality rate of 1% is still pretty significant. I've had 12 of my patients at that time infected and 3 of them died because of it, which were all severely weakened people (2 cancer patients and one with multiple respiratory problems). 1% doesn't seem much but with a high infection rate you ultimately come to an enormous death toll per country if you'd just let it do its thing.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
It's a combination of different factors. One is its high infection rate. It's more virulent than the flu. Combine that with the current globalization and the sheer amount of people there are on the planet and you have a rapidly multiplying disease.

Yeah, this is far from the worst disease in human history. Ebola has a mortality rate of 50% but is not as infectious. The Spanish Flu was really infectious but there were just a lot less people back then nor wasn't the world as connected as it is nowadays. Same with the bubonic plague.

Combine that with a ton of misinformation. China lying about its death toll, governments worldwide barely taking precautions beforehand and labeling this as a slightly more dangerous flu and still unknown factors of exactly how and when this came into the world (there's frozen sputum samples from France from December that tested positive, months before it was supposed to have reached Europe). As well as the "coincidence" that there happens to be a lab in Wuhan that researches coronaviruses (the Chinese bioengineering something? A decontamination gone wrong and someone working there unknowingly taking it home?).

A mortality rate of 1% is still pretty significant. I've had 12 of my patients at that time infected and 3 of them died because of it, which were all severely weakened people (2 cancer patients and one with multiple respiratory problems). 1% doesn't seem much but with a high infection rate you ultimately come to an enormous death toll per country if you'd just let it do its thing.

mThe point I’m trying to make is people aren’t just dropping dead by the millions like with Spanish flu and bubonic plague. Yet governments and media the world over portray it as if u get COVID, then that’s it; you WILL die and there’s nothing u can do about it when to those under 60 and with decent immune systems, this illness is not much different than normal flu. So y must the entire planet be shutdown forever over this? It’s probably be better at this point to just quarantine those most vulnerable to it And allow herd immunity to happen rather than force everyone into a borderline Orwellian society.

My fear is this sets a Very dangerous precedent to shut down everything every time a new virus emerges. In the past when an illness broke out people were told to take precautions Of course but never to this level where sports leagues shutdown entire seasons and where people are forced to wear masks and isolate (l hate the term social Distancing) .

And this won’t be the last outbreak either; these seem to happen every 10-15 years. But now it wouldn’t surprise me if the next pandemic results in even more strict lockdowns regardless of how deadly the disease is. I’m already predicting that when normal flu seasons starts in October that we go back to what we saw in March with shutdowns. Which is y I gotta ask; where does this stop? At what point has the solution become worse then the problem? At what point do we say we’ve done all we can and can only hope for the best going forward?

mThe point I’m trying to make is people aren’t just dropping dead by the millions like with Spanish flu and bubonic plague. Yet governments and media the world over portray it as if u get COVID, then that’s it; you WILL die and there’s nothing u can do about it when to those under 60 and with decent immune systems, this illness is not much different than normal flu. So y must the entire planet be shutdown forever over this? It’s probably be better at this point to just quarantine those most vulnerable to it And allow herd immunity to happen rather than force everyone into a borderline Orwellian society.

My fear is this sets a Very dangerous precedent to shut down everything every time a new virus emerges. In the past when an illness broke out people were told to take precautions Of course but never to this level where sports leagues shutdown entire seasons and where people are forced to wear masks and isolate (l hate the term social Distancing) .

And this won’t be the last outbreak either; these seem to happen every 10-15 years. But now it wouldn’t surprise me if the next pandemic results in even more strict lockdowns regardless of how deadly the disease is. I’m already predicting that when normal flu seasons starts in October that we go back to what we saw in March with shutdowns. Which is y I gotta ask; where does this stop? At what point has the solution become worse then the problem? At what point do we say we’ve done all we can and can only hope for the best going forward?
It's not like they'll do shutdowns forever. No clue how it is in the US (I've heard it's getting worse there again). But until we have a vaccine or cure we'll have to do shutdowns, albeit preferably on a more local level than entire nations. Cause if we don't, with a virus like this, people WILL die by the millions. Several models predict that without any shutdowns about 60% of the population of the average country would get infected at a rapid rate and of that 60% around 1% would die, which are huge numbers all counted together.

The prime purpose of "flattening the curve" isn't actually to prevent new cases, it's to stretch it out over a longer period of time so your healthcare facilities remain sustainable. If you do nothing it'll last shorter, but it'll go down in the history books like the bubonic plague and spanish flu did.

You're right about the media. Media love sensation and from what I've seen in the US they're more into sensation than information (not gonna say it's not the case here but it seems a bit worse over there). If you're an average young person without and chronic illnesses, you won't die, though the symptoms are worse than the flu and fatigue, loss of smell and loss of taste can last for months.

Is this just a flu? Not at all, it's much worse. Is the media hyping this up to apocalyptic proportions? They sure are.