• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

HP Mini Labtop reseting password

Ballistic Buizel

caught shiny lati@s
I need help with my HP Mini Laptop! I forgot the password to get into it, so how can I reset the password so I can use it again? Thank you so much I want it in use before next Monday. :)

- BB ;475;

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Assuming it uses Windows, you can press F8 during startup (before the Windows loading screen) and select safe mode. Once Windows loads, you should be able to log into the default Administrator account, start a command prompt, and enter the following command:

Code:
net user <your name here, without brackets> *

You will be prompted to enter the new password twice (it will appear as if nothing is being entered when you type, however that's just how Command Prompt hides the password)

Ballistic Buizel

caught shiny lati@s
Assuming it uses Windows, you can press F8 during startup (before the Windows loading screen) and select safe mode. Once Windows loads, you should be able to log into the default Administrator account, start a command prompt, and enter the following command:

Code:
net user <your name here, without brackets> *

You will be prompted to enter the new password twice (it will appear as if nothing is being entered when you type, however that's just how Command Prompt hides the password)

I went into safe mode but it wouldn't let me log into the admin account, it's still password protected. :(

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Are you sure you're trying to log into the account labeled "Administrator" (with the chess user icon)?

If you are sure, then that means the computer was pretty well secured by whoever sold it to you. In order to gain access you're going to have to break the password on your account using something like a live Ophcrack cd. If you're not very experienced with computer repair and terms, I'd reccomend going to a local tech shop (not a retail one like Best Buy's geek squad, they won't do what you want) with your parents (if you're under 17/look very young) and ask them to recover the password for your account. Chances are the guy will know a bit about password breaking.

If you are technically inclined, then you can give it a try, it's unlikely that you could damage your computer, however you may find it difficult to figure out if you're just using computers in their simplest way.

To understand the method usually used to "break" passwords, you have to know the concept behind them. In most modern operating systems, passwords are stored as something called a "hash". This hash is the result of an algorithm applied to your actual password (i.e the password: omg5572$ when hashed using the NTLM algorithm (windows authentication algorithm), results in "C6DEA3660D1F5EE25AB002F614D342E0" without the quotes. ). This hashed version is stored in a file. Now, the thing that simply prevents someone from going into said file, copying the hash and pasting it into the login prompt is that the login prompt hashes whatever is inputted into it, and then trys to match the result with the stored hash. Because of this, if you entered an accounts hashed password, the login manager would then hash the hash you inputted (inception :O) resulting in a totally different hash being compared with the accounts stored hash.

So one has to determine what that hash's password actually is. In order to do this, one uses a program to generate millions of hashed versions of random word or letter(/number/special character) combinations, until a match is found. Once a generated hash matches the account hash, the program knows that the password used to generate that particular hash is the account's password.

Depending on the strength of the password (how long it is, how complicated and random it is), breaking it may take minutes, or hundreds of years on a normal computer. The password "lolhai" could be broken within half an hour on a good computer, but the password "lgkhetgs332&&%332_fhf2FDF2er2823" could take years, or longer to break, due to it's complexity.

Here's a tutorial you can try to follow if you'd like.

Ballistic Buizel

caught shiny lati@s
Well, when I enter the wrong password is has a little thing that says "reset password," and when I click it it says I can reset it with some disc thing or flashdrive. I think my parents would let me go to the Geek Squad people too.

Maylu Sakurai

Dawn's ultimate Fan!
if it is a windows password i recommend getting a thumbdrive and googling Offline NT password this utility can reset your windows password

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Well, when I enter the wrong password is has a little thing that says "reset password," and when I click it it says I can reset it with some disc thing or flashdrive. I think my parents would let me go to the Geek Squad people too.

The Geek Squad will charge you a ton of money to do it, they totally rip people off. You know they charge $90 to install software for people (software not included). Yes, that means they'll install iTunes for you for nearly $100 :O.

Shuam

righteous
In other words, never ever go to Geek Squad. They wanted to charge my grandparents (who went to them due to their technological impairment) $1600 for a $400 computer. It's ridiculous the margin of profit they make doing things that a 12 year old can do.

Ballistic Buizel

caught shiny lati@s
Okay, nevermind. No Geek Squad XD

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Okay, nevermind. No Geek Squad XD

Like I said, go to a local non-franchise tech store. Most are run by people who are actually qualified to repair computers (not "I can plug in a VGA cable, hurr"), and most don't charge ridiculous prices.

Maylu Sakurai

Dawn's ultimate Fan!
if u lived out by my buddies business out in mission, KS i can reset a windows password in minutes and make it look like a password was NEVER there