• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Humans... So powerful

Rave

Banned
Well... My friend is 18, that guy is 22. And that guy is fat, but got some massively muscular ars. He made an unexpected attack on my friend, and with his hard hits, it wouldn't take long for him to win.

That doesn't mean jack squat. It all depends on how the skills are applied and how well they can be pulled off. Your friend just sucked because he didn't anticipate the attack, like he should've.

LuciRuki

Born This Way
The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

It really comes down to whether one can take a couple of punches, and how much skill one has. Otherwise, us humans are pretty defenseless without weapons.

-LuciRuki-

Mrmagius

~Deity of Valleity~
Actually, humans are one of the weakest species on the planet. Size for size, just about anything can out power a human. That's why Mr. Darwin gave us vocal chords and thumbs.

I find it silly when people say humans are weak compared to other animals.

I mean, think about it. We have no claws, no wings no real, outstanding, physical asset. If you put a bare human out into the wild it'd die. By all rights we should have been wiped out a long time ago in favour of more powerful animals like the lion or bear.

And yet, here we are, rulers of the Earth. And why? Because we have something that no animals possess in combination: aposable thumbs and a high intelligence (the advanced communication came later). There are probably a couple of other important things but those are the basics of what makes us such a great species. Sure a lion might be able to rip a human to shreds but humans have the mind power to work together in order build machine and contaptions to contain it. Animals might be strong and dangerous but they're not smart enough to outwit us.

This is echoed by Johnny's previous quote:
the weakest has strength enough to kill the strongest, either by secret machination or by confederacy with others that are in the same danger with himself

So, in some respects we might be weak, but overall humans win out in today's world.

Jedi Metroid

The Omega Metroid
Natures greatest killing machine, Man.

I agree with that statement, wholeheartedly.

Sometimes, it isn't the strength, it's the mental ability.

Colliepop

Wonderboy
Size does Matter.

This thread is starting to look a bit like This thread here but it's good to see people here have a better grasp on the place the human race is at.
Now, I hate to come across like I'm bragging online, it gets mixed in with all the bulls*** (not pointing any fingers), which isn't nice when your being honest.
I come from a family of boxers and martial artists, and at a younge age was exposed to competitive fighting.
I began training in Tae Kwon Do at the age of 7 with my mother (minumum age at her school) and moved on to the less 'sportsy' and more martial arts side of things with in a few years.
At one point I was state (no-gi) grappling arts champion here for 4 years running, am now a qualified instuctor (not as a living) and have trained in styles such as Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, Boxing, Karate, Capoeira, Judo and a few forms of Kung Fu, but have found myself drawn to the grappling arts, such as Kempo Ju-jitsu, Vale Tudo and especially Brazilian Ju-Jitsu due to their general effectiveness.
Anyway, my point is this, I have some experience when it comes to fighting.
I'm not a big guy... about 5'3, but have not always been significantly shorter than others of my age group.
Despite unshakable dedication to the martial arts, I had no choice but to watch as my peers grew taller and heavier, and ipso facto, better fighters than I ever will be. No fault in my technique, it still wins me a spar on regular occaisions.
In no way is weight a deciding factor in many fights, but it is a definate advantage. Any serious competitive fighter will tell you that. This is why all martial arts / martial sports / competive fighting competitions are devided into weight.

Last edited:

Gibbers

Humans are piss weak. We have little strength compared to other species, and we can barely survive without clean food and water. Not to mention how easy it is to break the human spirit, thanks to our incredibly weak mental state.

But we have guns and sharp objects, so we win.

Hell_fire

......duck...
In no way is weight a deciding factor in many fights, but it is a definate advantage. Any serious competitive fighter will tell you that. This is why all martial arts / martial sports / competive fighting competitions are devided into weight.

he has a point.
one of my friends is 13 and 6 ft
another is 11 and 5'2
guess what, the 6ft can't push the 5'2 little kid, why? the kid has bulk, and under it is some serious power.
and weight is not the deciding factor, but as he said it can give you an amazing edge against your competition. But of course it not the only factor, the most important being skill. so basically a skilled fighter is the most powerful right?

Humans are piss weak. We have little strength compared to other species, and we can barely survive without clean food and water. Not to mention how easy it is to break the human spirit, thanks to our incredibly weak mental state.

But we have guns and sharp objects, so we win.

he has a point, as some on on the first page said pound for pound we are one of the weakest species physically, a chimpanzee, soemthing we are often compared to has enough strenght to snap us apart. our only edge is our intelligence, and thats all that keeps us alive

Last edited:

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
As power goes, humans are wimpy. Physically, we're easy prey for practically every predator bigger than a large dog, and we don't stand a lot of chance against a lot of herbivores either if we annoy them. Even chimpanzees have five times the upper body strength of an adult human.

So humans are not really 'so powerful'. If we weren't clever we'd struggle rather a lot.

Colliepop

Wonderboy
We don't need to be so powerful. We have strength of mind. Seriously, check the link i left above. The argument there is much stronger, and much more interesting.

MattZ2007

"NATURE hath made men so equal in the faculties of body and mind as that, though there be found one man sometimes manifestly stronger in body or of quicker mind than another, yet when all is reckoned together the difference between man and man is not so considerable as that one man can thereupon claim to himself any benefit to which another may not pretend as well as he. For as to the strength of body, the weakest has strength enough to kill the strongest, either by secret machination or by confederacy with others that are in the same danger with himself." Hobbes, Leviathan, Chapter 13

I never got around to reading Leviathan because I thought the language would be too hard to comprehend, but it's perfectly comprehensible. I'll read it this summer then.

But I agree. This transitive X beat Y, and Y beat Z, so X beat Z idea doesn't apply to fighting. There are too many variables, so no one knows if your friend's style was different, the opponent was lucky, etc.. I mean look at these Heavyweight fights where the champ goes down in the first round. It's normally due to a few regular punches to the head. It doesn't mean that the contender was better, just that they won the fight. They COULD have been faster and stronger, but they could also have been lucky. And as Hobbes said, humans are more equal than we would like to believe.

Mrmagius

~Deity of Valleity~
As power goes, humans are wimpy. Physically, we're easy prey for practically every predator bigger than a large dog, and we don't stand a lot of chance against a lot of herbivores either if we annoy them. Even chimpanzees have five times the upper body strength of an adult human.

So humans are not really 'so powerful'. If we weren't clever we'd struggle rather a lot.

That's like saying "Without its powerful leg muscles a chetah's really just an oversized cat, nothing especially fast there"

Humans have power, it doesn't matter if its mental or physical, the point is we win, for the most part.

Lightnin'

An hour? Must've been a pretty laid-back fight. Most people can't sustain the effort for more than a few minutes.

Most interesting fight I've ever seen? Back in high school two guys got into a fight and when we, the spectators realized on one was going to break them up, and most importantly, no teachers had yet seen them fighting, we broke them up and no one ever said a word about it. So far as I know it was the only fight on school grounds that didn't end in suspensions.

Funniest fight? Two girls were tumbling out in the commons, rolling around in the grass but throwing jaw-rattling punches at each other. I was standing of in a walkway, passing the girl's basketball coach when it started. She shouted "Yeah!!" and stared for about 10 seconds before actually saying to herself "Oh!" and running out there to break it up. She probably didn't realize she was the only teacher on watch duty. Otherwise in her defense, it was a hollywood fight, probably drew the biggest crowd of any of them in the 30 seconds it ran. Of course, being visible from just about every location on that side of the campus helped.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
Something I thought about.

Personally, I'm a pretty good fighter. And my best friend is a little stronger than me, one of the best fighters around. Yet, one of the local psycopaths beated down my friend in 3 punches (he is BIG!). And after a hard fight, another psycopath beated down that psycopath...

psycopath? what kind if i may ask?

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Something I thought about.

Personally, I'm a pretty good fighter. And my best friend is a little stronger than me, one of the best fighters around. Yet, one of the local psycopaths beated down my friend in 3 punches (he is BIG!). And after a hard fight, another psycopath beated down that psycopath...

And I bet that many people in the city are stronger than that guy. Just how big can human jumps in fighting abilities be? It's impressive to think about.
Will you please let me know what it's like to wake up with the lifestyle and mindset of a Dragon Ball Z episode? Thank you.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Will you please let me know what it's like to wake up with the lifestyle and mindset of a Dragon Ball Z episode? Thank you.

Just take a lot of speed and grab one of those static cling balls that make your hair stand up and you'll know.

Journeyman

…… …… …… ▼
"Violence of Action Trumps Technique"

In most survival situations between humans; hitting hard, fast, and aggresively is more effective than hitting properly. Both are good, but violence of action wins. If you must attack, keep the attack on until the threat is no longer capable of harming you. (i.e. incapication, death, or otherwise)

Rheine

Stabby McStabface
Isn't psychopath a bit...strong? Oh well...
I'm not really engaged in brawls unless it's between a princess, a midget astronaut, a robot and an electric mouse, so I wouldn't know first-hand. But those people who pull cars with their teeth or hair are really...amazing.