• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hunting the illustrious Nintendo 64 controllers of ages past

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
. . . or in other words, bel's parents probably gave away his Nintendo 64 controllers and he needs new ones.

So I'm really at a loss. I am missing my atomic purple Nintendo 64 controller as well as my gray Nintendo 64 controller (as well as a few games). I did sell a few of my games (Motocross), but I am 100% positive I did not sell anything like my controllers or LOZ:OOT. The only controller I own is the Performance Superpad. Now I used to heavily criticize the Superpad for the overall bulk and to be frank awkwardness (although one could argue N64 controllers were designed somewhat awkwardly to begin with :rolleyes: ), however, upon my research into the well being of most N64 controllers I have found the Superpad to be quite durable.

Apparently kids used to love to grind the joysticks of the stick N64 controller back in the day, thus many of the controllers out in the market have lost the "tight" and thereby effective joystick, as I assume many of you are aware. Now who am I, one who has lost his controllers, to critique their lack of care?

Anyway, I have ordered a new Superpad for 9 dollars to compliment the one I already possess, however, I cannot resist the allure of a controller a bit more Nintendoesque. . .

I did buy a N64 controller from a local and generally credible used game store. They did a good job presenting it as new, but alas, the joystick was quite loose. In fact, when I returned the item the clerk even commented, "Wow, that is loose."

So the store gave my money back to me, no problems.

This scenario actually presents my fear of trying to buy a controller online. I have been burned once before buying an electronic device online, and when all the shipping and handling has been paid for the consumer can still experience quite a loss. I am nervous about buying a controller online; the seller online may not be so generous as the seller in person, since the online seller has the internet and amazon to shield him or herself. However, I did notice that there has recently been a 3rd party joystick for replacing worn joysticks.

Does anyone have any experience replacing the joystick on the N64 controller?

I looked online and it appears rather easy. Any other important tips and helpful hints are welcome.

Would it be worth it to buy a 5.49 new part + 3.99 shipping or does anyone out there have experience with this new brand of third party N64 controllers: Exact Replica of Original Nintendo 64?

The seller does actually appear more legitimate and interested in the product than the average amazon seller. I am skeptical about the product and seller because of my experiences (I am certain and convinced based on customer reviews most 3rd party controllers are just awful and a waste of money).

If anyone has any information, advice, or any better ideas I will welcome them with open arms.

Last edited:

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Nintendo has a long running habit of purposely making their products difficult to open and modify (for reasons unknown to me, other than in the case of copy-protection technology). It's going to be really difficult to get the proper screwdriver, actually get the screws out, and then pry it apart. You'll also have to have some soldering skills, as the joystick does not simply slide into a a connector if I remember correctly.

I would go for the replica. Keep in mind that it's not as if the original controllers had some top-secret design. A company could easily perfectly replicate them as they are really just molded plastic and some internal circuitry. As long as the company has good reputation for build quality, the controller should feel exactly like the old one.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Nintendo has a long running habit of purposely making their products difficult to open and modify (for reasons unknown to me, other than in the case of copy-protection technology). It's going to be really difficult to get the proper screwdriver, actually get the screws out, and then pry it apart. You'll also have to have some soldering skills, as the joystick does not simply slide into a a connector if I remember correctly.

I understand you completely. It would appear that the N64 controller was one product that they did not utilize the odd three pronged screws. From what I have read and looked at there is no need for soldering skills either; the connector snaps into the base.

I would go for the replica. Keep in mind that it's not as if the original controllers had some top-secret design. A company could easily perfectly replicate them as they are really just molded plastic and some internal circuitry. As long as the company has good reputation for build quality, the controller should feel exactly like the old one.

The replica looks fairly appealing at the moment. It is new and about as expensive as a used N64 controller (that has been worn and would probably need a joystick replacement).

Thanks for the input and info.

Anyone else want to discuss any 3rd party controllers/devices for the N64?

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
I understand you completely. It would appear that the N64 controller was one product that they did not utilize the odd three pronged screws. From what I have read and looked at there is no need for soldering skills either; the connector snaps into the base.

Those 3-pronged screws are called tri-wing screws if it helps any. From what I've heard, apart from video game parts they're commonly used in electronic security systems. I bought my tri-wing screwdriver at an electronics repair shop. Though they can be found online pretty easally.