• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hurry Up! Operation: Rescue Lusamine!! (996)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Did you watch it live, or on YouTube?
I watched the raw episodes on YouTube when it aired during the early morning until it was taken out during the early evening, Eastern US time.

andrewscott48209

I watched the raw episodes on YouTube when it aired during the early morning until it was taken out during the early evening, Eastern US time.

The early Youtube videos isn't the best way to watch them, at least in my opinion. They have a way of messing with the screen, at least on my computer. I have my own way to find it.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
The early Youtube videos isn't the best way to watch them, at least in my opinion. They have a way of messing with the screen, at least on my computer. I have my own way to find it.

I won't deny that the latter uploads can be better in terms of quality and subbed too, but I just wanted to get my hands on the episode, write some comments here and there and be done with it asap. Despite not speaking Japanese, I can manage to understand what's going on most of the time by the characters body languages. And some messing up stuffs from the screen might be intentional as the uploaders wanted to avoid the copyrights from the TV producers.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
Ha, the English title of this episode "Rescuing the Unwilling" is spot-on exactly what I was thinking when playing Sun/Moon. Having to rescue/care about the Lusamine character who completely wanted to get swallowed by Nihilego and Ultra Space. It's like, Lillie, just say goodbye to yo Momma, she cray, okay?

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Ha, the English title of this episode "Rescuing the Unwilling" is spot-on exactly what I was thinking when playing Sun/Moon. Having to rescue/care about the Lusamine character who completely wanted to get swallowed by Nihilego and Ultra Space. It's like, Lillie, just say goodbye to yo Momma, she cray, okay?

You do know the things leading up to this episode says anything but that.... right?!

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
You do know the things leading up to this episode says anything but that.... right?!
Yeah, in the game Lusamine was completely obsessed with the Ultra Beasts and gave basically no reason why we should want to rescue her. In the anime Lusamine was fascinated with the Ultra Beasts but cared more about keeping her children safe than getting to bond with the UBs. Granted both versions say that she's been kinda brainwashed, but the anime actually showed what she was like before that, and made the whole "We have to save her!" thing a lot easier to get invested in. Because we've actually seen that she's a good person here, rather than just being told that "No seriously, she used to be really nice!"

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Yeah, in the game Lusamine was completely obsessed with the Ultra Beasts and gave basically no reason why we should want to rescue her. In the anime Lusamine was fascinated with the Ultra Beasts but cared more about keeping her children safe than getting to bond with the UBs. Granted both versions say that she's been kinda brainwashed, but the anime actually showed what she was like before that, and made the whole "We have to save her!" thing a lot easier to get invested in. Because we've actually seen that she's a good person here, rather than just being told that "No seriously, she used to be really nice!"

Odd when the anime does a better job at than the games.

Granted USUM did a better job the aspect of giving us a reason to go get her out of Ultra Space than what they did in vanilla S/M while still making her a villain. (USUM explained Lusamines motives MUCH better and brought more redeemable traits in the forefront.... while still having her be crazy due to Mohn trauma.) The only trade off with USUM is we have less focus on Lillie, which does make the main story weaker as much as I admit it.... but the post game and how they concluded things post Rainbow Rocket make up for it in my opinion.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
"Ya let's split, the twerp's dead" :D

*mother sends out a Salazzle*
"Gladion, is that mother's Salazzle?!"
........ Really, girl?

I liked that the reason Ash went ahead with Lillie and Gladion leaving Sophocles, Mallow, and Lana behind was not because of some chosen one bs, like it was when he was the only one who went to Aether Paradise to confront Faba, but more of an "Oceanic 6" situation where he just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time (already on Solgaleo when Mismagius, Milotic, and Lilligant showed up).

I loved Mallow, Lana, and Sophocles's sass towards Rotomdex's descriptions of the three Pokémon.

OK, I know I'm definitely going to receive a lot of hate for this, but I was really less than impressed with the whole Lillie calming Clefable part. Yeah sure, the power of friendship has been a theme for 20 years now, so even though it's super predictable, I can understand why they use it. But in Lillie's case, other than learning once that Lillie loved her Clefairy and was upset that it evolved, we never knew anything beyond that. Yet, this scene makes it seem like Lillie and Clefable's bond was as close as Ash and Pikachu's, eventhough we've never seen them at all. A few flashbacks trying to depict their closeness doesn't cut it.

Well that hate won't be coming from me! I totally agree! The whole thing felt like a callback to how Ash and Pikachu defeated Team Plasma, except when that happened we had 16 years of evidence. This really had no emotional connection, not even debating believability or not, but you have to emotionally connect with your audience as a writer, and this just bored me and seemed silly.

This is the first time in ages we've seen Rowlet come out of his Pokeball and not Ash's bag if I'm not mistaken as well.

Ugh I need Rowlet to become a ball mon so that he can have a chance to evolve!

I was surprised that Gladion struggled against Absol, but on the other hand, we saw very little of that battle.

It was mainly due to the mental stress of having to face Umbreon's old sparring partner, not any physical difficulty in the fight itself.

I was thinking the same thing in regards to Team Skull, but we saw how poorly-translated Team Plasma was to the anime. Maybe they'll have Team Skull tie into a potential Necrozma/Rainbow Rocket arc somehow? I would hate to see them be a loose thread since we saw them often early on in the series just for them to disappear. It would be strange, but we have seen stranger.

Well while Team Plasma wasn't great, it's largely explainable by the fact that they didn't appear until post-league. Team Skull not only appeared before the league, but actually broke Team Rocket and Team Magma's record of episode 2 by appearing in episode 1. So it would be inexcusable compared to Team Plasma if they end up as poorly translated as Team Plasma.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

Why do you keep on quoting very old posts? Just talk about the episode and reply to posts made very recently instead of replying to three-four month old posts lmao.

But yeah this was an alright episode. I wish that Ultra Space from the games was better translated into the anime but I'm glad everyone got to do something in this.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Why do you keep on quoting very old posts? Just talk about the episode and reply to posts made very recently instead of replying to three-four month old posts lmao.

But yeah this was an alright episode. I wish that Ultra Space from the games was better translated into the anime but I'm glad everyone got to do something in this.
I only watch the dub, so this is the first time I have seen the episode. I didn't realize what I was doing was against protocol, but if it is, I can stop. However, on other episode threads, people have replied back to me when I quoted them, even if it an older post, and they didn't seem to be annoyed by it at all.

Basically I thought the idea of the episode threads never being closed is just to have an ongoing conversation about any episode at any time, so I didn't really see anything wrong even if it is older posts. I don't read the episode threads until I have seen the episode

DatsRight

Meh, don't feel bad. I've quoted posts that are YEARS old. I don't expect the guy to reply, but if it helps discuss the episode topic, why not use it as a bounce off point?

I liked that the reason Ash went ahead with Lillie and Gladion leaving Sophocles, Mallow, and Lana behind was not because of some chosen one bs, like it was when he was the only one who went to Aether Paradise to confront Faba, but more of an "Oceanic 6" situation where he just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time (already on Solgaleo when Mismagius, Milotic, and Lilligant showed up).

Yeah, Ash being a leader here made sense because he was the most experienced and had the lion's share of battle ready Pokemon (hence splitting them up to help out the others). The two next up to him (Gladion and Kiawe) also handled things on their own. Even with Faba it made sense because Nebby was his responsibility. Actually I don't really think SM has spearheaded Ash being the leader of every situation unless he is the one most adapted to what's going on. He seems fine following and taking orders from others when it's needed. The only instance he 'butted in' was Gladion trying to make Ash not help him and Lillie and even then he didn't tyrannise the entire situation, the Tapus set up a strategy for them.

Also it seems I predicted right and Clefable DID end up a recurring character. XD

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Meh, don't feel bad.
Thanks!

Yeah, Ash being a leader here made sense because he was the most experienced and had the lion's share of battle ready Pokemon (hence splitting them up to help out the others). The two next up to him (Gladion and Kiawe) also handled things on their own. Even with Faba it made sense because Nebby was his responsibility. Actually I don't really think SM has spearheaded Ash being the leader of every situation unless he is the one most adapted to what's going on. He seems fine following and taking orders from others when it's needed. The only instance he 'butted in' was Gladion trying to make Ash not help him and Lillie and even then he didn't tyrannise the entire situation, the Tapus set up a strategy for them.
While I agree with what you're saying here, I don't think you get what I was saying since you quoted me and you seem to be saying something else.

I just meant that the only reason Ash went ahead with Lillie and Gladion was because he just already happened to be on Solgaleo's back when those three Pokémon showed up (i.e. a few more seconds and the rest of the kids would have been on its back too) not because he's the chosen one.

I liked that it was just happenstance.

Have you ever seen Lost? You might better understand what I'm saying if you consider how the Oceanic 6 were formed in the Season 4 finale.. they just happened to be on that helicopter. They weren't chosen or anything.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Gotta say, this episode gives credence to the theory that Lusamine was never actually evil and that Nihilego was controlling her all along.

Fight, fight, fight. It's great to see everyone joining in on the mission. It made for some great battles and great animation.

The Clefable and Lillie scene was nice and all, but I think it would've meant more if the show's narrative up to this point had given Clefable a stronger presence in Lillie's life.

Some really impressive music, new and old, all over this episode. Each of the battles against Lusamine's team got some incredible tracks. Goldfarb and Gopal really treated Ultra Space well.

A good beginning-of-the-end of this arc.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Granted USUM did a better job the aspect of giving us a reason to go get her out of Ultra Space than what they did in vanilla S/M while still making her a villain. (USUM explained Lusamines motives MUCH better and brought more redeemable traits in the forefront.... while still having her be crazy due to Mohn trauma.)
Um... Yeah sorry, I can't really agree with you there. From where I'm standing, Anime Lusamine > Regular Sun & Moon Lusamine >>>>>> USUM Lusamine. Mainly because USUM's attempts at changing her character to accommodate Necrozma taking over the main villain role felt half-hearted to me, and kind of resulted in her flip-flopping between "well-intentioned extremist" and "just plain evil". I mean, one minute she completely disowns her children, but then in the same scene she tells them that she's doing this because she loves them so deeply and she doesn't blame them for rebelling against her at all, and then all of a sudden everyone else in the room also treats her like she's just a completely good person. On the whole I consider USUM's story to be a significant step down from regular Sun & Moon, even if it did have a few good scenes here and there and the gameplay was clearly improved.

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. Having the whole cast getting involved was done well, except for Gladion, probably. His was a bit weak, for he chose to handle just Absol.

Kiawe taking on Salazzle. No problems with that. Not very effective, however.

Lana, Sophocles, and Mallow taking on Milotic, Lilligant, and Mismagius. They did well, though Lilligant attracting Rowlet was unneeded, but the three humans' sarcasm towards the Pokémon were great.

As for Lillie and Clefable, pretty good. Lillie managed to help Clefable break through the powers of the Ultra Beast and return to normal. Good episode for a bit of battling, though a couple of drawbacks.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The Ultra Beast homeworld is basically purple ice floating around. It's very unimpressive.

Hey, not-Trial Captains, shut up. You say some of the most sappy lines when Rotomdex is around.

Gladion (two episodes ago): This is a family matter.

*two episodes later, Ash takes on Lusamine by himself*

Leave it to the guy with the Pikachu and not the Ultra Beast fighting chimera Pokemon, but then again, game!Gladion is especially guilty of not coming this far. Seriously, why didn't this Lillie interact way more with Nebby than Ash? Her only role so far was making sure it was given the same nickname before Ash hauled it away.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Having Salazzle debut randomly as one of Lusamine's Pokemon instead of Plumeria or giving one to Jessie was just stupid. All the Pokemon got is a fairly quick battle and will likely never be used under Lusamine again. I do hope we see another Salazzle at some point, I mean it is a Totem! Considering the Fire Trial was skipped, they least Salazzle could receive is a good role for one episode!

"Clefairy is my closest friend!" Uh huh, don't really care when it's brought up 50 episodes in. But apparently some still excuse that as good writing to this day. Some flashbacks showing her and Clefable hanging out in earlier episodes would have made that scene emotional but no tears were shed in the slightest.

And I don't get why Ash's Lycanroc is the one that should stay with Lillie, shouldn't Gladion have sent Silvally to assist his sister? His Lycanroc and Umbreon could handle Umbreon on their own.... keeping Silvally is just overkill.

All aboard the Magic Solgaleo, he does nothing but carry kids around on his back!

4/10 - and that is only because of Kiawe's battle

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Having Salazzle debut randomly as one of Lusamine's Pokemon instead of Plumeria or giving one to Jessie was just stupid. All the Pokemon got is a fairly quick battle and will likely never be used under Lusamine again. I do hope we see another Salazzle at some point, I mean it is a Totem! Considering the Fire Trial was skipped, they least Salazzle could receive is a good role for one episode!

"Clefairy is my closest friend!" Uh huh, don't really care when it's brought up 50 episodes in. But apparently some still excuse that as good writing to this day. Some flashbacks showing her and Clefable hanging out in earlier episodes would have made that scene emotional but no tears were shed in the slightest.

And I don't get why Ash's Lycanroc is the one that should stay with Lillie, shouldn't Gladion have sent Silvally to assist his sister? His Lycanroc and Umbreon could handle Umbreon on their own.... keeping Silvally is just overkill.

All aboard the Magic Solgaleo, he does nothing but carry kids around on his back!

4/10 - and that is only because of Kiawe's battle
well, we did see that one picture with cleffa back in ep 8, but still, yeah