• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Huzzah, I Have a Virus

Kabutopzilla

En Prócsem
Not sure if these kind of threads are allowed or not. Eh.

I was playing Spore, and learned it was getting laggy. I figured that my computer was performing another virus scan, likely to end saying "Scan found no known security vulnerabilities on your computer." Well, I was correct, to an extent. I saved Spore to turn my comp off, and realized that I was also wrong. Did it perform a virus scan? Oh yeah. Did it find no threats? Hell no.

Turns out, my JavaScript main file has been infected with a Trojan Horse virus. My comp attempted to clean it out itself, but it couldn't, so it Quarantined it.

I guess my main questions are: How bad is a Trojan Horse virus? And does the fact that it's Quarantined mean that it's forced to recede temporarily, negating all its effects for that time?

Before anyone asks, just in case, I'm posting this on my phone. And I don't know what could have infected my comp in the first place.

porygonfan

First I must ask what Antivirus do you use, and do you have a PC or Mac?

Sometimes when your browsing the web, there are fake pop-ups or links that will try to make you download spyware saying it's a free antivirus scan to fix your computer. Not sure if you did this by accident, but that will certainly give you Spyware. Most likely this came from browsing the web, not Spore, but since Spore needs you to be online, there is always a chance I guess.

Trojans are bad because they can invite spyware, which can produce viruses and eventually badly infect your computer. But a good antivirus should be able to get rid of it.

Scan found no known security vulnerabilities on your computer."
None of my antiviruses I used in the past said that.

If your using a PC, AVG Antivirus or Avast Antivirus are really good as they scan for viruses,trojans,and spyware and there free. Norton Antivirus or Mcafee dont find alot of viruses/trojans so I dont use those.

Also, you should run a scan when your internet cookies are all cleaned out and your NOT on the internet, because if your browsing the web and running a scan, it will most likely always pick up something from the web reguardless what antivirus your using and you may think your infected when your not. But in your case you DO have an infection.

You also need to make sure to do your disk defragmenter once a month, and disk cleanup once a month, that will speed up your computers performance, and to download and run CCleaner that removes junk files from your computer.

Check these links out to read more about the antivirus and cleaners, and PM me if you have any questions i'll be happy to help. All are free to download and work great.

AVG Antivirus free edition
http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

Avast (antivirus)
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

CCleaner (cleans junk files)
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Auslogics disk defragmenter (same as windows disk defragmenter, but does the job much quicker)
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download

Last edited:

Kabutopzilla

En Prócsem
First I must ask what Antivirus do you use, and do you have a PC or Mac?

Dell laptop, Windows XP.

Sometimes when your browsing the web, there are fake pop-ups or links that will try to make you download spyware saying it's a free antivirus scan to fix your computer. Not sure if you did this by accident, but that will certainly give you Spyware. Most likely this came from browsing the web, not Spore, but since Spore needs you to be online, there is always a chance I guess.

I kinda figured it wouldn't be Spore, I just said that it was lagging, which made me suspicious. I avoid ALL pop-ups, no matter what they're advertising, and I never click any advertisements on purpose.

Trojans are bad because they can invite spyware, which can produce viruses and eventually badly infect your computer. But a good antivirus should be able to get rid of it.

From what I've been told, they also "chew" a hole through whatever file they've infected, leading to failure of whatever file that may be.

None of my antiviruses I used in the past said that.

My comp's a bit weird. Security Scans act as antivirus scans as well on it.

If your using a PC, AVG Antivirus or Avast Antivirus are really good as they scan for viruses,trojans,and spyware and there free. Norton Antivirus or Mcafee dont find alot of viruses/trojans so I dont use those.

I use McAfee and PC-Cillin. I suppose it could make sense, because multiple scans before this one said no viruses have been found. Yet JavaScript has been failing since before this.

Also, you should run a scan when your internet cookies are all cleaned out and your NOT on the internet, because if your browsing the web and running a scan, it will most likely always pick up something from the web reguardless what antivirus your using and you may think your infected when your not. But in your case you DO have an infection.

I don't run the scans, my computer does it periodically by itself.

You also need to make sure to do your disk defragmenter once a month, and disk cleanup once a month, that will speed up your computers performance, and to download and run CCleaner that removes junk files from your computer.

Check these links out to read more about the antivirus and cleaners, and PM me if you have any questions i'll be happy to help. All are free to download and work great.

AVG Antivirus
http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

Avast (antivirus)
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

CCleaner (cleans junk files)
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Auslogics disk defragmenter (same as windows disk defragmenter, but does the job much quicker)
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download

Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to check those out.

The virus is gone for now, though. It has been successfully quarantined. I wasn't sure if that was enough, but I got in touch with my father, who scripts programs for computers (including antivirus programs) for his career, and said that quarantined means that my computer has gotten rid of it, unless something gets it out again.

Luckily, the only damage taken was that JavaScript has failed. Flash will not work anymore, and anything that requires Java to run becomes a blank box with a tiny red X in the upper left corner.

My father offered similar advice to yours, only you've expanded on it a bit more. My dad only informed me that I should delete anything I'm not using, to get some more space so my computer doesn't lag as much.

Spore lagged to begin with, but the reason it was choppy was because of the computer scan. When a computer does a scan, it will cause other things to lag a bit. I deleted some files, and Spore ran beautifully.

But anyway, thanks again.

porygonfan

I use McAfee and PC-Cillin.

I have one more bit of advice. Are they BOTH running on the same laptop?
If so you have 2 antiviruses running on the same laptop, which is bad, they will conflict with each other and that will cause serious problems.

Uninstall one of those and then the one you have on should run better.

I also have a Dell laptop which has XP, I use AVG and have CCleaner on it. Had the laptop for 6 months and NEVER had a virus,trojan, or any spyware ever. AVG updates everyday, doesnt use much RAM, and you can schedule an automatic scan. That's why I use it.

krazyelements241

hmmm prygonfan really explained it very well he/she nailed it! i use norton. but it pretty much sucks just because it tells me i have no spyware or viruses but it sometimes slips! so norton doesn't catch it all the time...! but anywho yes try avast i used that and it found 2 viruses on my comp. tht norton did not catch before.
i just hope you don't have any credit card information or used credit cards over the net using that comp...:[

Ephajim

Void Dweller
Wow, i didn't know about AVG, i'm going to check it out too [:
Since, well just to be sure.
An extra virus scanner 's never bad either :p

I personally use hitman pro alot though.

donaghtlc

Dragon trainer
virus!!

i had a virus like that and my flash plyer also stoped working! and nothing was working, and i could not even sign into youtube. every thing is working normal now!! :D it was a disaster for me at first though. :( its ok now because i just downloaded adobe flash player again and now its fine and my computer has made a full recovery!