• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hype, Anime and the backlash

matt0044

From Attack on Titan to Re:Zero, the hype for the standout shows of each season often comes with people praising it up and down (particularly with its first episodes or so) as a classic for the new era. And much like a pendulum, the further this mindset is pushed in, the further it will swing in the opposite direction as opposing arguments are voiced a loud as can be as those there's some grand statement to be made about "X was never than great."

Hype is often a fandom's best friend and worst enemy almost simultaneously. Either the show delivers on what got you psyched about it... or it completely drops the ball. With many fans singing its praises, you might feel inclined to watch said popular show only to find it doesn't, erm, scratch that itch.

As such, many will feel compelled to just go "meh" and leave it well enough alone or push against the grain and enlighten the masses that they've been brainwashed or some crap.

So what do we do? What can we do?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
So what do we do? What can we do?

Just don't follow the crowd and watch what you want to watch whenever you feel like it. Or just let the hypetrain crawl to a stop before you watch it.

I've had my share of "hype backlash", but that's almost always years after its first initial airing. Personally, I have also been on the real-time hypetrain (ex. Kill la Kill), and sometimes those shows turn out differently but are still enjoyable (Samurai Flamenco), stop living up to expectations (Digimon Tri), or just turn out to be trash (Charlotte). But that's all personal opinion and you can't shame people for liking something you don't like, even if it's factually trash.

But I'm a jaded nitpicky *****, so what do I know. Just be your own person with your own likes and dislikes and don't take things personally. That's all.