• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hyper beam in Anime

BadDreams

Have you noticed the overuse of Hyper beam in Pokemon anime. I mean seriously nearly every Pokemon has Hyper beam I mean seriously LEARN A NEW move :D

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
Lance: Dragonite USE HYPO BEAMZ!!!!!
Ash: z0mg no wai!

BadDreams

Lol'd :D

Anyway I just watched Movie 10 and it had over 5 pkmns that used hyper beam... Its getting annoying! :O´They're too lazy to train so they buy Hyper Beam from Celadon Super store :D

ChuklaeAquos

Glalie fan!
Lol'd :D

Anyway I just watched Movie 10 and it had over 5 pkmns that used hyper beam... Its getting annoying! :O´They're too lazy to train so they buy Hyper Beam from Celadon Super store :D

Or they bred Pokemon and the parents passed on Hyper Beam to the child ;)

But why wouldn't they want Hyper Beam? It's one of the most powerful moves in the Pokemon world, and most people in the Anime think power is awesome!

But why wouldn't they want Hyper Beam? It's one of the most powerful moves in the Pokemon world, and most people in the Anime think power is awesome!

Yea Hyper Beam is like the best attack..

pichu_power

But Never Again...
I wish that they'd show atleast a Pokemon getting tired from using it. If I am correct, Pokemon have used it simultaneously without 'recharging'......

Well, since it one of the best normal-type special attack, I guess it's appropriate to give to a lot of strong pokemon, esp. legendaries...

octoboy

I Crush Everything

Yeah, and those people are portrayed as idiots who never see speed tactics coming...

Yeah, I think hyper beam's overused due to the omitted costs of recharging. My guess is that it was a quick way to give a pokemon a powerful attack to make it look intimidating, and that would be hard to do if dragonite/snorlax/salamence/etc kept getting tired after it. So, hyper beam eventually just became an easy powerful attack for a powerful pokemon.

While I usually dislike people who think the show should be exactly like the game, this is one part of it I would have preferred to keep.

Well, since it one of the best normal-type special attack, I guess it's appropriate to give to a lot of strong pokemon, esp. legendaries...

Actually, I wouldn't think legendaries would need to rely on that too much... Mewtwo, the first legendary pokemon could just use psychic powers, and a lot of the other early legends had elements of their own to attack with. And most of the later ones had signature moves (aeroblast, sheer cold, fissure, roar of time, spacial rend, etc.). Mostly pseudo legendaries like dragonite would get hyper beam.

Last edited:

Mudkip kid

<--Will be mine!
I wish that they'd show atleast a Pokemon getting tired from using it. If I am correct, Pokemon have used it simultaneously without 'recharging'...
In one of the recent episodes when Ash battles Barry, Barry's Empoleum uses Hyper beam, then can't move for a few seconds afterwards.

Kim62

Hello
So?

In the games all of lance's Pokemon know Hyper Beam, well, except his Pokemon in HG and SS.

Curse you HG/SS for taking out Lance's Hyper Beam obsession.

freakyboy05

Swing the bat
First time I saw Hyper Beam in the anime was in the Pokemon League when a Golbat used it. I was surprised because I never expected a Golbat using it.
I think in Pokemon Red, Hyper Beam does not require recharging. Lance's Gyarados killed me with it's Hyper Beam and used t again next turn o_O

AzureWatcher

Glacier Hugger
Lance's Gyarados killed me with it's Hyper Beam and used t again next turn o_O

If it fainted a pokemon or was dodged / evaded they got to use it again. Same with poison, if you managed to faint the enemy in that turn, the poison would not sap your health. I imagine it's a bug, but *Shrugs* i'm not complaining.

P.S. Rayquaza loves hyper beam. *nods* It's the only move it knows in the anime. ... I think...

Lazyslacker

Quiet, I'm sleeping
They put hyper beam EVERYTIME to give a powerful impression...

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I always hated the fact that claws and teeth are often ignored, Like in the mew and lucario movie, those weaviles were all like, ha never mind these claws we can use Ice Beam and Shadow Ball...and Crunch, every time I saw it before quiting the anime, missed, cause it was a steelix vs. cyndaquil.

Ampy

Light The Stars

The only Pokémon it's actually good on is Porygon-Z so..... not really

the jman

Ak47 I choose you!
in the anime, you have to charge a hyper beam.
In the game, you recharge a hyperbeam.

Its been said alot before its overused

SolarPowerX

I thought it was ridiculous when pauls torterra had hyperbeam and frenzy plant. It seemed so unnecessary. The show tends to ignore strategy unless it's a big time storyline battle.

Lucario Hero

Defying Gravity
Hyper Beam is generally accompanied by delay in the anime, such as a charging time or a paralysis post-use. Since Hyper Beam is known to be a hard-hitting move, Trainers use it to show off as it appears to be quite powerful and damaging in the anime.
However, those subject to the delay of Hyper Beam generally get beat by Ash's fast strategy by the end of the battle. Since its very predictable but powerful, it's a possibility that the creators put Hyper Beam in so much to show inexperience in some Trainers who fall prey to the after or pre-effects of the move.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
First time I saw Hyper Beam in the anime was in the Pokemon League when a Golbat used it. I was surprised because I never expected a Golbat using it.

iirc it was Ash's Kingler who used Hyperbeam?
I didn't recall the Golbat used Hyper Beam...I do remember it used a draining move, though. Not sure if it is Mega Drain or Giga Drain.