• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hypno's Naptime (027)

NES

Flip me to the side!
-Hop hop hop town?
-Scary Brock making children talk
-Seel Seel Seel...
-Bulbasaur Bulbasauuur1
-haha the Magikarp girl is the best.
-Ash Ketchum master detective
-Psyduck!

Very wacky moments of the first Pokemon season, it's the charm of it.

Last edited:

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Being that I'm re-watching the entire first season (I'm up to this episode), I am a bit disappointed that Misty got another Pokemon without EVER using Horsea since its debut episode.

However, that doesn't mean I didn't like the episode. I have yet to watch one episode that has disappointed me thus far. But, this episode made me realize how much some Pokemon are getting ignored:

- Brock has not used a Pokemon since Episode 6, "Clefairy and the Moon Stone", I believe, except for Geodude in the "Pokemon Scent-Sensation" episode where he used it to put out the fire. That also means we have not seen his Onix or Zubat since Episode 6.

- Misty has not used Horsea since its debut episode (Episode 19, "Tentacool and Tentacruel").

- Ash hasn't used Pidgeotto since... Hm, I can't even remember! I think he has used it once in the past ten episodes, I just can't remember when... No wonder why it took Pidgeotto until the end of the season to evolve. He never uses it!

I'll keep posting reviews on every few episodes I watch. I'm ordering Part 2 of Season 1 right now. :)

EDIT: The last time Ash used Pidgeotto was in "Beauty & The Beach", which didn't even air in the USA until two years later. So technically, as a little kid in America, I would have last seen Pidgeotto in Episode 16 "Pokemon Shipwreck". He mentioned Pidgeotto in "Bye Bye Butterfree" and "Pokemon Scent-Sation", but ultimately decided not to send out it for specified reasons.

I don't think any one should say this ep was bad or that they should have this or discluded that. This is one of the funniest ep I watched. If you compare it with the sinnoh saga, your talking almost perfect for this ep.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
Psyduck is so funny, I'm glad Misty got it. Hypno and Drowzee putting all those kids to sleep and having them go missing was pretty creepy, especially since I seen this when I was a kid. Overall, this was a good episode.

CrippledShadow

Omen Of Faith
The little boy that thought he was a Weedle while crawling on the tree was really funny and so was Magicarp girl, hahaha. This episode, "Pokemon Scent-Sation", and "Pokemon Fashion Flash", bring back good memories because I had a vhs of these episodes when I was little.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
Misty acting like a seel was enough to make this episode great. Unfortunately all of the kids were annoying.

G50

No longer posting
1 of my least favorite episodes of Kanto. I did however like seeing - 1. Misty pretending to be a seel, 2. the way Psyduck was caught, and Misty's reaction to it, and 3. Seeing Drowzee and Hypno.

10/100

Aquarelle

Staff member
Hypno was pretty freaky...I mean, it hypnotizes little kids and then they all gather in that garden area...pretty creepy if you ask me. :eek:

But seeing Misty and those kids act like Pokemon was funny, mostly because they all looked ridiculous doing so. I loved how Psyduck was caught by just pressing on the Pokemon and going in. And it was neat being able to see Psyduck inside the Pokeball, that's something I had always wanted to see. ^^

Vernikova

Champion
This episode had Psyduck being captured in it. That alone made it really bad. Psyduck is one of the worst Pokémon ever to be caught by one of the main characters and it's a shame that it went to Misty. The kids being hypnotized into acting as different kinds of Pokémon was pretty funny but that's about it. The only other thing that this episode did was show how ****ing creepy Hypno is.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I really liked this episode. Although similarly to the Sabrina Gym battle, it makes Psychic Pokémon seem way too overpowered. If a Hypno / Drowzee could do all of that then any evil organisation could do major damage to the public just by keeping a few Psychic types. Anyway I loved seeing the kids act like Pokémon, especially Misty. I absolutely loved the fact that Misty got Psyduck, and the way she caught it. It's probably one of my most favourite Pokémon from the animé.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Although similarly to the Sabrina Gym battle, it makes Psychic Pokémon seem way too overpowered. If a Hypno / Drowzee could do all of that then any evil organisation could do major damage to the public just by keeping a few Psychic types.

Weren't they like that in the games anyway at first? And when you think about it, couldn't they be overpowered? They use mental powers, and the mind can be a powerful thing--after all, the mind can't be controlled easily in the beginning, you know? Sabrina didn't seem to have control with her powers well at first as a child, but as she got older, she learned to suppress it until needed. Wouldn't it be the same with regular Psychic Pokémon?

And why else did Butch and Cassidy use a Drowzee in the Orange Islands? Of course, they had to hook it up to some nifty device, but it worked.

Anyway I loved seeing the kids act like Pokémon, especially Misty. I absolutely loved the fact that Misty got Psyduck, and the way she caught it. It's probably one of my most favourite Pokémon from the animé.

Shame it's been years since I saw the episode, but I do remember it being on top of a building, and all the kids were rich kids. I don't remember why the Psyduck was there, though I think Nurse Joy originally had it in her care. But yeah, Psyduck's capture was funny.

*Psyduck follows the gang*

*Misty's PokéBall drops*

Psyduck: *walks up to it, pokes it with beak and gets captured*

Misty: NOOOO--

*credits roll*

And thus, Mom's favorite Pokémon turned out to be Psyduck.

Wait, was Psyduck's powers revealed in this episode? I remember something about Dexter mentioning headaches. Eh.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Wait, was Psyduck's powers revealed in this episode? I remember something about Dexter mentioning headaches. Eh.

They didn't reveal it's powers in the episode. The Pokédex just mentioned that it always has a headache, and then Misty got one too after she realised she captured it.... or that it captured it! lol
I can see why Psychic Pokémon would be really powerful but it just seems odd that they would make them out to be like an unbeatable type. And if they really are supposed to be that strong, why is Sabrina merely a Gym Leader? It doesn't make sense. D:

7threst

The fourth wall breaking is just so lame it becomes funny even. Anyway, I think this is not one of the best episodes. It even at some instances became quite monotonous but I did enjoy the introduction to some Pokémon and the capture of the famous "headache-Pokémon"

Blessed

A funny episode, I liked when Ash and Misty said "Hop Hop Hop?" while hopping too, it was cute. I didn't like when Misty was under a spell of acting like a Seel. It was funny nevertheless though. It was great to see Psyduck join Misty's team, I love that duck so much.

Lucille

Psyduck had a fleshed out personality considering this was the first saga where almost every Pokemon was heavily ignored

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The Magikarp usually is so full of life, but now the magic's disappeared. *flop* “Brilliant deduction!”

In my household, my brothers and I are the bigger Pokémon fans, we've all been fans at some point or another—or still are. Like I'm sure most parents did, my mother sometimes sat down to watch the show with us. This was one of those rare episodes where I remember her chuckling out loud because of the end. This is the debut episode of Psyduck, and Misty's reaction at the end of the episode would become a staple of her character's running gag. My mom laughed when it was announced it suffers from constant headaches similar to how she was prone to migraines. Psyduck has since then become her favorite Pokémon, even though she's not fond of Pokémon much anymore.

This episode felt a little weird pacing-wise, and doesn't have much of a “plot”. I don't believe it's a filler since Misty “catches” Psyduck, but it's almost like the writers rushed through this episode. And it's a dull episode, nothing of real interest happens except at the end. There were very few laughs and more snores. (And I can't fall asleep in a classroom, so it was a bit of a chore to watch for a twenty-minute episode.) The only conflict was the missing children whose whereabouts baffle me. Now the hypnosis on Misty was a little funny, but it's not funny with the other kids. The fact they were in the middle of the park and no one noticed is what made me imitate the Jackie Chan meme face. You'd think the parents would go to the park to check, don't they know it exists in the town?

Also, the Pokémon Lovers Club is full of nutjobs. Not that they're nutjobs for using Hypno as a way to help them overcome their insomnia, but maybe it's because they used it too much. I don't think that's good for the brain and/or the memory center to rely on being hypnotized into a deep sleep. If one can get addicted to sleeping pills, then one could get addicted to sleep waves. But they're a bunch of rich folk, they're a little crazy like that. Also, 4KIDS' edit with the psywaves is odd, because the screen just freezes and it looks very awkward, and when there's movement, it's glitchy-looking. I don't know what the original footage looked like, but maybe they were afraid it'd cause seizures?

It's been 26 episodes since their debut, and it's just now that Team Rocket's plan is odd and the most boring. They're going to accost their boss with sleep so they could take a vacation? Um... well, at least their entrance on the roof was a bit goofy. Gliders, really? Okay, then. Reason they're doing all of this is so they can fill in a half-hour. The Hypno is probably in on it, too, for being stupid enough to get itself hypnotized. Wait, if it's in on it, then it wouldn't be stupid... but it's still stupid for agreeing to it...

Anyway, basically the best part is the end of the episode. I just love how Psyduck taps the ball with its bill and it gets captured without a struggle. Silly Psyduck, you may become a running gag, but we still love you. A shame you only showed up in two-three scenes this whole episode, you would've made it more tolerable to watch this snore-fest. “Beauty and the Beast” at least kept me awake even if it was rather forgettable.

At least next episode is more fashionable in its performance.

Two episodes in a row of TR breaking the 4th wall. I love it when this happens!