• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hypothetical Voice Actors for Sword & Shield

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Since Pokémon Sword & Shield don’t feature voice actors (or even snippets of dialogue like Pokémon Masters), I wanted to make this thread to talk about what possible voice actors or accents people think of when seeing the characters and reading their lines in the games. For example:
  • I imagine Gloria being voiced by Elsie Lovelock since she voiced her in all of the Scottish trainer memes
  • Elsie could also voice Prof. Magnolia since she could use the same voice she uses for Queen Elizabeth in this video
  • Based on his design, I can see Chairman Rose being voiced by Matt Berry (Douglas from The IT Crowd)
  • Similarly, Oleana could be played by Lea Headley (Cirsei Lannister from Game of Thrones)
  • For some reason, I can see Richard Ayoade (Moss from the IT Crowd) voicing either Hop or Bede
  • I’m not sure what their VAs would be, but Marnie & Team Yell really sound like they talk using cockney accents based on the slang in their dialogue.

I thought this could be a fun what if scenario to help people better understand the British based dialogue and possibly help some players better immerse themselves in the games. Or, if you like to think of voice actors for the characters & you’re struggling on who would voice who, this could give you a few ideas

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Since Pokémon Sword & Shield don’t feature voice actors (or even snippets of dialogue like Pokémon Masters), I was wanted to make this thread to talk about what possible voice actors or accents people think of when seeing the characters and reading their lines in the games. For example:
  • I imagine Gloria being voiced by Elsie Lovelock since she voiced her in all of the Scottish trainer memes
  • Elsie could also voice Prof. Magnolia since she could use the same voice she uses for Queen Elizabeth in this video
  • Based on his design, I can see Chairman Rose being voiced by Matt Berry (Douglas from The IT Crowd)
  • Similarly, Oleana could be played by Lea Headley (Cirsei Lannister from Game of Thrones)
  • For some reason, I can see Richard Ayode (Moss from the IT Crowd) voicing either Hop or Bede
  • I’m not sure what their VAs would be, but Marnie & Team Yell really sound like they talk using cockney accents based on the slang in their dialogue.

I thought this could be a fun what if scenario to help people better understand the British based dialogue and possibly help some players better immerse themselves in the games
Not really familiar with these voice actors but after checking out the SwSh manga, all I see is a genki girl in Gloria now lol which is a short way of saying a very energetic, if not almost hyperactive excitable person who acts fast and talks fast to the point that you have a 50/50 chance of understanding a word they are saying. Can you think of a VA who can do a character where you shouldn't give them an ounce of sugar?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Not really familiar with these voice actors but after checking out the SwSh manga, all I see is a genki girl in Gloria now lol which is a short way of saying a very energetic, if not almost hyperactive excitable person who acts fast and talks fast to the point that you have a 50/50 chance of understanding a word they are saying. Can you think of a VA who can do a character where you shouldn't give them an ounce of sugar?
Oh yeah, Schilly definitely fits that description. I’m not really sure who’d voice her though aside from Pinkie Pie or Nifty from Hazbin Hotel with a British/Scottish accent

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I've actually been thinking about this. When the Sword & Shield anime is dubbed, they'd better use British voice actors. Hearing them with American accents just doesn't make sense in a region based on Britain, unless they were visiting from Unova or Alola? XD

Who would voice the Gym Leaders and Leon though? Opal could be voiced by someone like Judi Dench or Olivia Colman (the Queen in The Crown).

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I've actually been thinking about this. When the Sword & Shield anime is dubbed, they'd better use British voice actors. Hearing them with American accents just doesn't make sense in a region based on Britain, unless they were visiting from Unova or Alola? XD

Who would voice the Gym Leaders and Leon though? Opal could be voiced by someone like Judi Dench or Olivia Colman (the Queen in The Crown).
I’m not really sure about any of the gym leaders or Leon to be honest. If I had to guess, Nessa could be played by Toks Olagundoye (Mrs. Beakley from Ducktales 2017), Opal could be voiced by Imelda Staulton (Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter) and Milo could be voiced by Rhys Darby (Randall from Infinity Train), but I’m open to suggestions on the others.

I also think Olivia Colman might work better as a VA for Sonia though

Last edited:

shoz999

You know what else didn't make sense? Voicing American accents for a region based on France. You know what's even more hilarious than that? A French Video Gaming Company getting British Actors who use British slang for an Assassin's Creed game set in France.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Ooh, this sounds like fun!

Leon: Phil Lamarr
Chairman Rose: Benjamin Bratt
Oleana: Lisa Hannigan
Hop: Phil Lamarr (yes, he is that good)
Bede: Tom Kenny
Marnie: Tara Strong
Milo: Alastair James
Nessa: Antonia Thomas
Kabu: Ian Anthony Dale
Opal: Ellen McClain
Piers: David Tennant
Raihan: Cedric Yarbrough

Lena Headey would make a decent Oleana, wouldn't she? From a different perspective, I see it.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Ooh, this sounds like fun!

Leon: Phil Lamarr
Chairman Rose: Benjamin Bratt
Oleana: Lisa Hannigan
Hop: Phil Lamarr (yes, he is that good)
Bede: Tom Kenny
Marnie: Tara Strong
Milo: Alastair James
Nessa: Antonia Thomas
Kabu: Ian Anthony Dale
Opal: Ellen McClain
Piers: David Tennant
Raihan: Cedric Yarbrough

Lena Headey would make a decent Oleana, wouldn't she? From a different perspective, I see it.
Ooh, I love the idea for Milo & Nessa’s VAs, and after hearing that i can see Freddie Highmore voicing Allister!!

Who do you think would be a good VA for Bea?

Sorry i can't see Magnolia as anyone else but Maggie Smith.

Also, Marnie as April Ludgate.
Yes! Maggie Smith is another perfect choice for Prof. Magnolia! I just wasn’t sure at first because I thought she was Irish when she played Prof. McGonagall

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Ooh, I love the idea for Milo & Nessa’s VAs, and after hearing that i can see Freddie Highmore voicing Allister!!

Who do you think would be a good VA for Bea?

I'm not very familiar with Bea, as I have Shield, so I wouldn't really know who would make a good voice actress for her.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Whoever voices Raven from Teen Titans.
Tara Strong? She’s a good VA, but I’m not sure if she’d be a good fit for Bea. I was thinking of someone who sounds like an older version of Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven from Stranger Things) since she normally has a British accent and as Elle she’s shown to give the same strong, stoic feelings I get from Bea

shoz999

That would be Tara Strong, who I chose for Marnie.

Tara Strong is definitely a diverse voice actress, so she could certainly portray both Marnie and Bea.
Tara Strong as Marnie. Don't know. What about Laura Bailey, the VA of Maka Albarn from Soul Eater, voicing Marnie? She's the first actress that comes to mind when voicing Yellow but I can see her voice Marnie because Marnie is a serious confident and caring individual.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Tara Strong as Marnie. Don't know. What about Laura Bailey, the VA of Maka Albarn from Soul Eater, voicing Marnie? She's the first actress that comes to mind when voicing Yellow but I can see her voice Marnie because Marnie is a serious confident and caring individual.
Oh, I think Laura Bailey could work as Marnie after hearing her voice Maka & Tohru from Fruits Basket, but she needs to pull off a cockney accent because that’s the only way I can hear Marnie talk. Like, if she tried to copy Audrey Hepburn from the beginning of My Fair Lady, then I could absolutely see that work

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't think they would get those high profile Western cartoon voice actors for the Pokemon anime.
I mean, I would love it if Rob Paulsen voiced Milo, but I don't think that would happen.

I want Sean Schemmel to voice Raihan or Pokeball Guy though.

shoz999

I don't think they would get those high profile Western cartoon voice actors for the Pokemon anime.
I mean, I would love it if Rob Paulsen voiced Milo, but I don't think that would happen.

Anime? No. Were talking about the games with all that dedicated lip animation that Sword & Shield's animation budget went to. Go all out with whatever ideas pop in mind.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

Oh, I know that they’d never get Western or pro voice actors (that dream denied when I was denied the chance to have Clancy Brown voice Ghetsis). This is just what-if scenarios to help people better visualize voices for the characters when playing the games, though Sean Schimmel would be perfect for the Pokéball Guy!!

shoz999

I think pretty much anyone who read the manga can agree that Todd Haberkorn, the VA of Death the Kid would be the perfect VA for Ruby but what about Todd Haberkorn voicing your rival Bede?

Also Bryce Papenbrook, the VA for Red of Pokemon Origins? I can see him voice Hop.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I think pretty much anyone who read the manga can agree that Todd Haberkorn, the VA of Death the Kid would be the perfect VA for Ruby but what about Todd Haberkorn voicing your rival Bede?

Also Bryce Papenbrook, the VA for Red of Pokemon Origins? I can see him voice Hop.
I don’t know, Todd Haberkon sounds like a good idea, but I still like Richard Ayoade better for Bede since his voice kind of sounds like a sneaky British nerd. If you’ve ever seen The IT Crowd (Moss) or Apple & Onion (Onion), you’d know what I mean

Bryce Papenbrook could work Form Hop, but I like the idea of him & Leon being voiced by Phil Lamar. Maybe he could voice Victor instead