• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I’m just not so sure about how I feel about the OS anymore

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Not really, Kanto and to a lesser extent Orange Islands were considered the "golden age" of the anime. It's when you get over to Johto most people forget most of the episodes besides the ones that stand out, because a lot of Johto fillers all blend in with each other. And as I said before, Ash's Johto team like Bayleef/Cyndaquil/Totodile/Noctowl just doesn't have the same nostalgia following Ash's Kanto team has. Honestly Ash's Johto pokemon are the forgotten middle child of most of his pokemon teams.

Diamond and pearl should be considered as the golden age of pokemon it succeeded another great series AG and elevated furthur up. DP is by far the best written series in pokemon's history, you can say it is possibly the series with least number of flaws.

Kintaro

Banned
Diamond and pearl should be considered as the golden age of pokemon it succeeded another great series AG and elevated furthur up. DP is by far the best written series in pokemon's history, you can say it is possibly the series with least number of flaws.

I'm speaking "golden age" in regards to when the anime was huge and at it's most mainstream. By the time we got into Johto the series already lost a lot of it's early fad status. Kanto and Orange Islands are the two most watched sagas of all time, which is kinda obvious given their the first two.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I'm speaking "golden age" in regards to when the anime was huge and at it's most mainstream. By the time we got into Johto the series already lost a lot of it's early fad status. Kanto and Orange Islands are the two most watched sagas of all time, which is kinda obvious given their the first two.
I remembered when Pokemon Go came out, people were using the Kanto anime arc as references constantly, in which includes the Ash's hat, and the opening and ending songs. I even saw an hilarious mod in GTA V that replaces the main characters as the Kanto cast plus Pikachu.

DatsRight

I remember when Pokemon Go came out, people were using the Kanto anime arc as references constantly, in which includes the Ash's hat, and the opening and ending songs. I even saw an hilarious mod in GTA V that replaces the main characters as the Kanto cast plus Pikachu.

Well let's be fair, when someone says 'Team Rocket' who DOESN'T instantly think about Jessie, James and Meowth saying the motto?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Well let's be fair, when someone says 'Team Rocket' who DOESN'T instantly think about Jessie, James and Meowth saying the motto?
I dunno, when I was in my hometown Pokemon Go community before, we didn't talk much about TRio and their importances from the anime, than about Ash, Pikachu, Misty & Brock. The only thing I remembered someone making a joke about Team Rocket, it's the chaotic crowding situation of Pokemon Go Players during late evenings, then the cops came in to restore order.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Me. Instead, I think, why are they still in this show?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
AznKei:

I remember when Pokemon Go came out, people were using the Kanto anime arc as references constantly, in which includes the Ash's hat, and the opening and ending songs. I even saw an hilarious mod in GTA V that replaces the main characters as the Kanto cast plus Pikachu.

DatsRight:

^^this is what doesn't make sense

Kintaro

Banned
Team Rocket much like Brock were in their prime during the OS and then they suffered from character decay and repetition with every saga after.

DatsRight

AznKei:

DatsRight:

^^this is what doesn't make sense

It was making reference to the fact that the anime influenced a lot of people's image of Pokemon. It being about Ash and Trio, despite neither of them appearing much in the games themselves.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
It was making reference to the fact that the anime influenced a lot of people's image of Pokemon. It being about Ash and Trio, despite neither of them appearing much in the games themselves.
Well if that's what you meant then I would have just said who doesn't think of JJM when you hear TR. I thought you meant the motto specifically.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kintaro said:
Team Rocket much like Brock were in their prime during the OS and then they suffered from character decay and repetition with every saga after.

Takeshi in particular was a waste beginning in Jouto. In hindsight, I wish Kenji had stayed in the OS cast just a bit longer instead of Takeshi.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Well I'm writing this from my experience with my hometown Pokemon Go community as most of those Pokemon fans who don't follow much of the anime, when they think about the anime would most likely think about Ash, Pikachu & co. than Jessie, James & Meowth, despite the latter 3 being as much as recurring characters than Ash & Pikachu, they just don't care about them. When people think about Team Rocket, they think about the evil organization in general.

Last edited:

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Takeshi in particular was a waste beginning in Jouto. In hindsight, I wish Kenji had stayed in the OS cast just a bit longer instead of Takeshi.
Agree as kenji could definitely be work in johtou arc as it could be story about his childhood and maybe mirrored Satoshi's in novel ?

Kintaro

Banned

I think Brock was fine up until mid/late AG, then it was becoming obvious he had no real role in the show anymore. Given we have new male companions every gen now it's obvious Brock overstayed his welcome in the anime for years.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

Nah they suffered from only existing as plot devices after DP. Even though the early sagas relied on them in nearly every episode the TRio still did other stuff like take secondary jobs while Ash and the others did stuff like tournaments and the summer camp. And they'd often do their own things too, which rarely happens anymore. Hell you don't even get references to their pasts or backstory anymore. No summer home for Alola(Which is weird af, it's somewhere a rich family would have one.... and Jessibelle coming back would have made a funny episode!), no Jessie seeing her mother(Which would also tie in nicely for the Mewtwo remake) on Poni....

Kintaro

Banned
I think comedic characters like Misty/Brock/TR all worked best in Kanto when the show was a pure comedy. Johto was a bit half and half because while the show was still mostly humor based a lot of the filler plots started to get really dull. It's obvious that much like Ash, Misty/Brock/TR aren't meant to get much character development when they're on the cast outside certain episodes, so they were designed to last as long as possible till the writers started changing the show.

If you think about it much like Ash/TR get resets now every gen, the same was starting to happen with Misty and Brock only they just got stagnant instead. Since every other companion just has a limited timeframe of 3-4 years on the show before they leave, the writers likely know what they're going to do with them. Of course they still mishandle things like Serena should have gotten more focus, the SM cast isn't always balanced, etc....but those are the breaks since the anime staff aren't exactly brilliant writers.