• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I’m curious as to what Shiny Pokémon look like when the games are played on the original Game Boy?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Does anyone have pics of what the Red Gyrados looks like when played on an original Game Boy? I only have the VC versions of Gold and Silver which automatically uses the GBC setting. But I know GS were playable still on the original GB. And what do the other Shines look like? I can’t find pics of them anywhere.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Does anyone have pics of what the Red Gyrados looks like when played on an original Game Boy? I only have the VC versions of Gold and Silver which automatically uses the GBC setting. But I know GS were playable still on the original GB. And what do the other Shines look like? I can’t find pics of them anywhere.
The original GameBoy is monochrome, right? Couldn't you just use an image editing program and greyscale the sprites?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I'm fairly positive GB Color games were not compatible with the original Gameboy. While original Gameboy games were compatible with the Gameboy Color up until the GB Advance SP, GB Color games were only playable on the GB Color up til the GB Advance SP.

https://www.lukiegames.com/game-boy-compatibility.html
No. Only Crystal was playable on the GBC only. GS were compatible with the Super Gameboy which couldn’t play GBC only games. I’ve found links showing someone else playing GS on a Gameboy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/55sa8w/does_pokemon_goldsilver_work_on_the_gameboy_pocket/

Xionea

Half a centaur
No. Only Crystal was playable on the GBC only. GS were compatible with the Super Gameboy which couldn’t play GBC only games. I’ve found links showing someone else playing GS on a Gameboy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/55sa8w/does_pokemon_goldsilver_work_on_the_gameboy_pocket/

Huh, never knew that was a thing. Well looking into it more, I did find one video of a guy finding a shiny Gastly on Silver through the Super Game Boy (which you may have seen already). He switches between the original Game Boy colors and Game Boy Color colors to show the difference like that, and comparing a regular Gastly to the shiny Gastly in original Game Boy colors don't show any difference (probably due to Gastly's similar shiny variant). Whether this is the same case with all the other shinies, I don't know. This was the only one I could find.