1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

I’m just not so sure about how I feel about the OS anymore

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by srebak, Dec 30, 2018.

1. PineapplePizza

PineapplePizza Well-Known Member

^Again, I dont think the problem is Johto lacked good content so much as about half of it is filler. Really really bad filler which mostly just consist of whatever Pokemon they decide to give attention to and a character of the day.

The anime I don’t think was use to having to stay in a region for three years. The Kanto portion started a year after the red/green games were released. Then they had the four month delay from the Shock incident and they had only to spent half a year on the Orange Islands until Gold and Silver were ready for release.

Johto started a month before the games were released and they had to stretch it out for 3 years until Ruby and Sapphire came out.

Shadao and PorcelainVulpix like this.
  2. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

Johto is also where the anime writers realized Pokemon had become a worldwide phenomenon and you could tell the writing was toned down. That sense of darkness the Kanto eps had and some of the most bizarre/weird filler plots were pretty much gone by the time Johto rolled around. No more stuff like Sabrina's arc or the Scyther/Electabuzz Gym gang wars, etc. Johto did have some unique and funny episodes, but there were also far too many, "Ash helps random filler character with their problem and then Team Rocket come in to steal Pikachu or the Pokemon of the day."

I mean even when most of us were kids and watching it for the first time, before any of the later generations existed like Hoenn, DP, etc....just comparing Johto to the original Kanto, there was a vast difference in writing. Also the original trio's dynamic was completely different in Johto, due to Misty's temper/personality being toned down, and Ash didn't rely on Misty/Brock much anymore so you didn't see that sense of bonding you had in the Kanto eps.

Shadao likes this.
  3. AznKei

AznKei Getting ready for Pump It Up XX.

And BW is where the anime producers/writers realized that the investments for the companions/classmates, like giving them a deep goal to work on aren't important anymore. It's a shame I really want to care about them as Ash's goal is the same for me, always making him fail at the leagues for marketing reasons.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  4. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

The Team Rocket focused fillers were some of their best however, especially in the dub where the cast and writers seemed at their most enthusiastic. If you diluted Johto to just the continuity episodes and those TR episodes you'd arguably have a good series.

Early Johto had the right idea of that, if they're gonna use Team Rocket non-stop they may as well make them villain protagonists. Slowly in however, they became plot devices, but the twerps didn't really become any better at holding stories solo (if anything they got worse compared to Kanto, where they actually competed with TR in terms of personality and humour).

BW was them slowly considering trying to make the protagonists colourful enough to hold stories without TR however, which is just as vital when big character arcs aren't always ongoing and filler is prominent. XY took a bit of a backwards step, though SM's played on it full throttle.

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
  5. AznKei

I'm well aware that each series had their strengths and weaknesses, but for me who is exposed to other animes doing better jobs at putting more depth to their characters, I can't help but to say "Is that the best you can do?" at the anime producers/writers.

Not only that, I had the feeling that the Pokemon brand name is becoming too powerful and that they can go soft with the writings, and don't care about the fan complaints because their medias would still be successful regardless. Sure, there's no other shows with humans controlling magical creatures like Pokemon, but I think they're abusing its success too much.

6. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie Together with the Wind

The Larvitar arc is pretty fucked up when you think about it, though. How often do kids' shows delve into PTSD, especially with such bizarre imagery to represent the confusion, distrust and pain Larvitar was going through until Ash and gang helped it break out of its shell (so to speak)?

7. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Digimon?

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  8. AznKei

Didn't watch it. I used to watch more but mostly slice-of-life animes back a decade ago, but I'm mostly on YouTube doing LPs and doing more outdoor stuffs right now. :(

9. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Did you never watch any Digimon anime? Well, but surely you know the plot?

10. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie Together with the Wind

Ehhhh the DigiDestined aren't ordering their Digimon to use attacks like "Pepper Breath" or "Flower Cannon" on their opponents, though. The Digimon are there to protect their partners, and it's the bond they have (because the Digimon were literally created for their DigiDestined) that gives them power to grow and fight. Closest to Pokémon would probably be Yu-Gi-Oh when ordering the cards to strike, but that's stretching it (I don't know what Monster Rancher or Yokai Watch are like).

11. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Taiki gave Shoutmon commands a few times. In Digimon Tamers, the kids used cards in the digimon to fight. And even though the kids don't order the digimon to attack, Digimon is the closest to the Pokémon anime.

12. PineapplePizza

PineapplePizza Well-Known Member

Digimon Tamers is probably the closest to Pokemon in the idea of a Tamer/Trainer who has their mon fight other mons (wild or not) to get stronger though Digimon Tamer still lacks the gotta catch em all flavor since its still typically one Digimon per Tamer.

Of course Digimon Tamers is a lot darker than the Pokemon anime

13. AznKei

Never. Sure it came out around the time Pokemon came out, but me and my old friends were more into the Pokemon craze. I started watching XY anime after I skipped the show since Indigo League because of my reinvestment of the mainstream games after many years in hiatus.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  14. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Well, watch it when you have the time, the plot is better than Pokémon's.

15. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

Yo-kai Watch?

:p

16. Redstar45

Redstar45 A champion of kind heart !

Dunno about that as digital monsters is failing as well

17. Kintaro

One thing that also bugs me when I rewatch parts of the OS, is that Misty/Brock weren't "allowed" to do things much outside the eps that particularly focused on them. Like if it was a regular filler episode, Ash and the COTD's would get all the focus and TR would do their thing. Misty and Brock would only stand in the sidelines and observe and make the usual exposition comments. Sure on some occasions the writers had Misty and Brock jump into the action, but it was few and far inbetween. I mean they'd literally just stand there like statues in some episodes.

I swear in some Johto eps especially it seems like the writers forgot Misty and Brock even had Pokemon. Like TR would be attacking with a giant robot and Misty/Brock would just be standing there shocked/surprised and not send any of their pokemon out to battle...lol

LilligantLewis and Shadao like this.
  18. Slapstick-Olivia

Slapstick-Olivia Well-Known Member

Time change everything. I have also now a different few on the OS as before. The series is still a guilty pleasure for me, but it didn't aged well. The animation can be sometimes very stiff, Misty and brock felt like wasted potential and the episode structure was very formulaic.

The anime improved itself over the years quit well. The animation is the best it ever was in animes like X&Y and S&M, some of the side characters like Dawn, Citro and Lillie got also a bit more spotlight and the TR formula got also shafted (well most of the time).
    OS is still fun to watch, but only for nostalgia reasons.

19. Kintaro

I do think the OS particularly Kanto has the best sense of adventure of the series and that's why it's so rewatchable compared to other seasons. Even the dullest Kanto eps are still rewatchable, you can't say the same for some of the really boring fillers of other sagas.

But then again there are a lot of things all the later sagas improved, and the Johto saga should have been condensed to a 2-year saga at most. Johto alone is 156 episodes, that's longer than the entire length of BW and XY (which were 143 eps), and almost the same length as AG and DP (which were 191 eps). Yet the majority of Johto doesn't have much happening in it, and Misty had the same length in Johto the other girls had in their entire run but barely got any focus to herself.

20. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

I disagree. OS isn’t just fun to watch because of nostalgia. OS is actually really funny and it’s short and sweet, it doesn’t feel like a task to get through so a lot of times I just naturally go for OS when I feel like rewatching Pokemon. Plus you can start on any random episode without worrying about the plot.

PineapplePizza likes this.