• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I’m just not so sure about how I feel about the OS anymore

PineapplePizza

OS holds up the best for me. Specifically the Kanto portion. It’s only 82 episodes long (if you count the undubbed episodes and banned episodes) Takeshi Shudo helped made it feel not as blatantly as a kids show as later seasons l as it was and it has the best English dub. Arguably the best 4Kids dub of any of their acquisitions (though I suppose that isn’t hard)

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
OS holds up the best for me. Specifically the Kanto portion. It’s only 82 episodes long (if you count the undubbed episodes and banned episodes) Takeshi Shudo helped made it feel not as blatantly as a kids show as later seasons l as it was and it has the best English dub. Arguably the best 4Kids dub of any of their acquisitions (though I suppose that isn’t hard)

Even without the dub, I feel like Kanto is still pretty hilarious but I will say 4kids did a great job with the dub and with their openings.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Also, after rewatching Orange Islands I realize how good this short saga was. I never paid attention to it much when I was younger but it’s pretty enjoyable too and easy to rewatch. Johto is where things started to go down hill but even some Johto episodes are pretty good. I just rewatched Illusion Confusion last night and it was a pretty funny episode.

Kintaro

Banned
Johto does have some really great eps and hidden gems. If you were to cut all the boring eps and just keep the important eps like Gyms and the really funny/good fillers, you can probably make an 82 episode Johto saga (the same length as Kanto), and have a really great arc from beginning to end. You could arguably cut around 50 or more Johto eps and nothing would be lost.

But even then, some flaws would still remain. Ash's Johto Pokemon were just handled really badly, I have no idea why they didn't get better treatment. Misty and Brock still don't get much focus outside the few fillers specifically designed for them. Misty for example only got to do something when the writers made a filler or episode about water pokemon. If it wasn't about water pokemon, Misty didn't do much in Johto but join Brock on the sidelines for commentary.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I have no idea why they didn't get better treatment
Maybe Shudo's departure really left them reeling and unable to know how to write the show well. Maybe the writing staff was even at that point potentially left with people not all of whom had even played the games, and maybe there were some internal disputes and executive meddling.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I've grown to dislike the entire OS over the years: the Orange Islands were sort of fun, but the Johto saga had too many filler episodes, and Ash's regional team was poorly developed, forcing him to rely on Snorlax and Charizard at the League. The Kanto saga, on the other hand, had too much early installment weirdness, such as the Gastly with ridiculous abilities, the entire Sabrina arc, Erika's overpowered Gloom. It doesn't help that everyone in Kanto was too hard on Ash for no reason (I know Takeshi Shudo is to blame, but why did he have to change Game Freak's interpretation of the Pokemon world in the first place)?

Kintaro

Banned
I still love Kanto and to a lesser extent Orange Islands, they're a product of their time but it was at a point where the anime felt like it was going to be a one and done thing rather than go on for 20+ years and never end. Yes Kanto probably had the weakest battles of the entire series with few exceptions like Charizard Vs. Magmar, etc...but it didn't really matter since Kanto was an adventure series.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Funny thing about that os being dark or something like that is i don't find that Sabrina arc scare at all even at young age @PineapplePizza

Redstar45

No you didn't but everyone else is saying it is was creepy (Natsume's arc i mean )......but i didn't think so myself at time.

Last edited:

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I don’t remember the Sabrina Arc scaring me but I do remember being terrified for the first half of the Ghost of Maiden’s Peak when I was a kid. I grew to love the episodes and to this day it’s one of my
favorites in the anime.

I don’t mind how “weird” everyone thinks OS fillers because the weirdness is part of what made them so entertaining..

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Funny thing about that os being dark or something like that is i don't find that Sabrina arc scare at all even at young age @PineapplePizza

I think the whole saffron city/ sabrina arc was the best part of kanto OS series, the only negative of that arc was that ash did not permanently kept haunter in his team especially with its lively personality it would have fit in well. Sabrina should have come back during BF series when kanto remake was hot, she was the best character in kanto.

Redstar45

Yeah it was good....i think Satoshi should getting Natsume's kadabra from trade his hunter and both will evolve into gengar and Alakazam !

Redstar45

I know that @Kutie Pie ....i just saying that would be so much awesome to see Satoshi own Genger or Alakazam

Kintaro

Banned
He also didn’t catch Charmander or Squirtle.

They were in pokeballs so he caught them after the ep ended. Haunter literally tagged along for a single episode, it was like Jigglypuff. The writers also never include Haunter in the montage of Ash's old pokemon in later openings when they usually included released pokemon like Pidgeot, Primeape, etc. in them. Haunter was never a capture.

Redstar45

Satoshi did catch charmander and Squirtle. Hunter joined him just for fun