• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I’m just not so sure about how I feel about the OS anymore

DatsRight

I'm kinda okay with the 'Monsters University' outlook of it in that there may be something you dream of but you'll never really be tops in, but you can still put that ambition into another real talent you have.

Current Ash works okay in that regard, sure he'll likely never win the league and he sucks in many things he tries to actively pursue like the Alola school exercises, but he's competent where it counts. He's only a loser at face value.

I think Shudo's more cynical outlook was that the whole Pokemon trainer profession was a pipe dream. Many people tried to gain a livelihood through it only to grow up failures, while people who weren't good enough, be it their fault or not, were ostracised. No one wanted that future, so Kanto was depicted as rather strict and even extremist. Shudo's vision is that the professional world is pretty cruel and many have gone astray in life because of it (which is partway true).

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I don't have problems with their backstories, but I hate the idea of Ash being a eternal loser. What kind of protagonist loses every time? ''Did you see, kids? No matter how hard you try, you'll always be losers.''
Apparently, each generation of children simply stops watching and get replaced by a new generation watching a new rehash.

History repeats.

Kintaro

Banned
Only problem with Ash not winning is it prevents the female characters from winning anything either, probably so they don't upstage the main hero. Like if May or Dawn won their Grand Festival and Ash lost the leagues, it'd look weird. So of course all the girls are doomed to fail their competitions on-screen as well.

Jeal

Current Ash works okay in that regard, sure he'll likely never win the league and he sucks in many things he tries to actively pursue like the Alola school exercises, but he's competent where it counts. He's only a loser at face value.
lol, the only thing that counts is him winning a league. If he is the best battler among weaklings, we could not care less. It doesn't matter if he will lose in the end.

Apparently, each generation of children simply stops watching and get replaced by a new generation watching a new rehash.

History repeats.
Then they should simply replace him.

DatsRight

lol, the only thing that counts is him winning a league. If he is the best battler among weaklings, we could not care less. It doesn't matter if he will lose in the end.

Experience and victories are just something made so spurious by the anime in the first place. Plot armour often plays a ridiculously large part in Pokemon and trainers becoming more advanced, there are characters that seldom demonstrate any significant ability or experience and yet never lose a single battle or competition they enter because the plot makes it impossible for them to lose. I mean Misty was technically a 'winner' in many battles because of lucking out with Psyduck, would you consider that a gratifying look at her achievements?

And being the best battler among weaklings is pretty much the anime's go-to for showing 'potential' with a protagonist. How many times do they try to show one of them is competent by beating up a jobber like Team Rocket? Almost every competition in the show tends to have a 'loser' rival that conveys all the worst elements of an opponent so the protagonists look good by comparison (eg. dirty tactics, bad strategy, overconfidence), with only the token handful of developed key cases per arc where it looks like the protagonists are being challenged and forced to be remarkable.

Character agency is what makes a character seem talented, the ability to change how things work around them. Ash affects the story in many positive ways despite his losing streak in his central focus. Hell the XY league practically made that the meaning of the plot.

Last edited:

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Yeah, he was watching the league in the first episode, he should at the very least know the type advantages, and the requirements to enter in the league
good new in my novel satoshi do know enough of the basic pokemon skill to beat and made at top 12 of kanto league before his own charzard got out of the control sceaw up his own chance at beat the elite four .
I think Shudo's view of the anime was very depressing:

- Ash had to fail
- Misty's parents were seemingly gone and she was made fun of by her sisters
- Both of Brock's parents walked out on 15 year old Brock taking care of 9 little siblings, his father a deadbeat and his mother went off for glory
- Jessie, James and Meowth's backstory all have some ounce of tragedy in them or dark humor
- Mewtwo's origin
More or less yeah but anime show did had Takeshi and Kasumi had happy time with theirs own family
Soon or later Satoshi will win at some point in the future and the rocket's trio is seem more happy with each other .

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi

History repeats.
Assuming they are mainly focusing to Japanese childrens, I doubt they would repeat history for too long since the country population ages and is in decline.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Sorry, I read an article about the overall decline of viewership for the show and it wrote something related to demographics.

But tbh, I don't really care if they kept doing the same stuff all over again, I got over with by having other interests and I don't like to beg them to have my way. Let them handle their consequences on their own.

Redstar45

is that little selfish......? @AznKei

Redstar45

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I watch the news about their demographics issues, even outside of Pokemon. For the business there who rely of the local population it becomes more challenging than before, even when it's about the Pokemon anime viewership. I didn't write this as a laughing matter, especially when the officials there acknowledge these issues.

As for my impression, I admit I was a little bit tense due of what happened back in XY. But I had a fanfic that made me in a way that I don't rely on the producers anymore. I really wanted the show to become better, and I appreciated the efforts they made in some good episodes. But I just feel there's a disconnect between them and their audiences. So it doesn't give me the reason to support them, especially if our voices cannot be heard.

Anyways, I didn't want to drag this further. I might be over the top with what I wrote to AuraChannelerChris, but nothing from the anime can last forever imo.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
*holds Ash picture*
Well, I like to get involved into discussions for me to express how much I disliked him, but it's not like I gonna rage of his presence in every episode. I also accept the reality of the show too.

Redstar45

Well, I like to get involved into discussions for me to express how much I disliked him, but it's not like I gonna rage of his presence in every episode. I also accept the reality of the show too.
.....really !? He ain't gonna be gone as you know?

MattySadler

The original series is still my favourite one and the only one I'd consider rewatching at this point.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kintaro said:
I think Shudo's view of the anime was very depressing:

- Ash had to fail
- Misty's parents were seemingly gone and she was made fun of by her sisters
- Both of Brock's parents walked out on 15 year old Brock taking care of 9 little siblings, his father a deadbeat and his mother went off for glory
- Jessie, James and Meowth's backstory all have some ounce of tragedy in them or dark humor
- Mewtwo's origin

Given the Pokemon anime is supposed to be uplifting for children, I can kind of see why these elements were all downplayed or done away with as we moved on to Orange Islands and beyond.

I would've found his ideas much more depressing if I were still a child, but now that I'm an adult I find Mr. Shudo's perspective quite realistic and refreshing. Not every story has to have a happy ending.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I would've found his ideas much more depressing if I were still a child, but now that I'm an adult I find Mr. Shudo's perspective quite realistic and refreshing. Not every story has to have a happy ending.
Ash never winning the league after all these years is just stupid though