• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I ban everything Legendary.

Zibdas

not bad
I don't. If you can't adapt to a simple situation, then why are you playing competitively?

Besides, most Legendary users don't know jack about strategy anyway.

SlimShady

Kill your heroes
I don't. If you can't adapt to a simple situation, then why are you playing competitively?

Besides, most Legendary users don't know jack about strategy anyway.

There are plenty of people who know plenty about strategy and use legends. What if someone sends out a Rock Polished Groudon? How is that a simple situation?

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
When I battle my friends that is. I feel it takes something away from the game when we are battling and I have an Infernape and then all of a sudden ****** sent out Groudon!

Does anyone else do this? and if so why?

Guess what? Smogon does that too. Groudon is uber while Infernape is OU. However, they don't make broad, sweeping gestures like "All Legendaries are banned." Is Regigigas a Legendary Pokemon? Yes, most definitely. Is it one of the worst Pokemon for competitive uses out there? Yes, most definitely. Tiers aren't based on canonical titles like "Legendary," but are based on in-game stats and usage statistics. Is Groudon broken in every tier but ubers? Yes, so it is put there, not because it's Legendary, but because of how it plays. Does Heatran work in OU without breaking balance? Yes, so even though it is "Legendary," it is still a perfectly fine match for your Infernape (and you'd probably win too).

randomspot555

A Legendary Pokemon is simply a Pokemon deemed as such by the powers-that-be (Game Freak, Nintendo, etc...).

There is no inherent value in being a Legendary. Being deemed a Legendary Pokemon, generally either for the purpose of plot or promotion, does not automatically, magically make it better in battle.

If Arceus was for some reason not classified as Legendary, would it be any less powerful?

No.

If Delibird became a Legendary Pokemon, would it become super uber powerful?

No.

Falconx03

Legendary
I don't play competitively but against friends, I ban Legendaries like Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, and Arceus. I have not battles any friends in 5th Gen but would ban Kyurem and not sure about Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect yet but when they are released I will decide.

Erymry

Only Slightly Normal
Back when I used to play with friends, we banned all legends. Seeing as they weren't really competitive minded, it was just easier then saying 'no Ubers'. I guess I could have said "no legends banned in the Battle Frontier", but the thought never occurred to me.

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
I don't battle competitively. and I haven't used a legend on my team since Groudon in gen 3.

TheotherLati

Ace Trainer Brendan
I agree, somewhat, but really this sort of thing happens in all types of games when playing anybody. Whether it may be the best character, best weapon, best car etc.... it happens.

Try and convince your friends to use other types of pokemon to make it a fair match. It's pretty much a one sided battle if someone else's team is completely made up legendaries and imo, makes the match boring since there's fewer strategies involved. I actually find myself having the most heated battles when using the pokemon I wouldn't normally battle with.

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
I dont see Legendaries as incredibley powerful and cheap, but blantanly overused. As in every friggin team I find on the street has Arceus Rayquaza Dialga and Palkia in it and they think they're boss. its just stupid.

Autis-misc

Abridger
Oh. well, when you put it like that... i only ban them if they are Hacked Legendaries, Like a Giratina with Wonder guard (or any other legendary with Wonder guard). But other than that, I don't ban real pokemon from my battles. Banning a Legendary because its uber is just like banning a Wobbufet because its Uber. (and yes, Wobbufet is Uber.)

~Sam~

Trader and Battler

Phoopes

There it is.
yea, but if someone throws out a Darkrai. how is that even slightly fair?

It's fair if it's in the Uber tier. Darkrai is broken in OU. Smogon gave it a shot early on in 5th gen and it upset the competitive balance extremely. So that's why it's an Uber. However, other legendaries don't upset the competitive balance. In fact, many legendaries are terrible competitively. Regigigas and Articuno come to mind.

GilligBoi

I ban whining about what your opponent uses.