• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurelai

Ok, I'm not one of those people who like giving my pokemon offensive names, so I am perplexed that I have had 3 names kicked back at me now by X.

The game would not let me use:
"Spike" for a Weedle
"Tumbleweed" for an Espurr (I have a cat of that name)
"Poof" for a Hoppip

I find this irritating :mad:

jeffdavid102

TSS Forever
"Spice" and "Spicy" also seem to be "offensive"

randomspot555

According to the censor (which started in Gen 5)

Your nickname for a Weedle contains a racial slur.

Your nickname for Espurr contains a drug reference.

Your nickname for Hoppip contains another word for a bowel movement.

Unfortunately, this is necessary so people don't just add in a 0 or a ! or whatever to bypass the censor.

Weird, I don't see anything particularly offensive in any of those words as far as I know.

Ninja'd. Interesting nonetheless, though.

lol

lol

LOL!

Unfortunately, this is necessary so people don't just type in "Spic!!!!!!!" to bypass the censor.

I named my Riolu "OU F*ggot" (Spelt the latter correctly) and it wasn't censored. It's only for the GTS AFAIK.

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Funny. This happens a lot on Yu-Gi-Oh! (handheld) games. It's so annoying. I don't really care. Actually, I understand why certain names should be censored. But censoring THOSE names are a bit of extremism... At least to me.

According to the censor (which started in Gen 5)

Unfortunately, this is necessary so people don't just add in a 0 or a ! or whatever to bypass the censor.

Now that I didn't knew.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Last nigt I was trying to nickname my Farfetch'd as Fart-Face but couldn't work >_< Oh, come on! I ALWAYS name my Farfetch'd that name! D: nya~

PKCat

I named my Espurr Thunder after my cat O.O!

Missingno.Fan

I can kind of understand "Tumbleweed", but I don't get "Spike" and "Poof". I must of lived a sheltered life because I never heard them used as offensive slang.

Xerneltal

Sonic aficionado
They wouldn't allow "poof" in Gen. 5, either.

I know this because of 2 reasons:

1. I tried naming a Jigglypuff that.
2. Notice how when your Pokemon learn a new move as of Gen. 5, it says "ta-da" instead of "poof."

I still don't get it, though. How's that offensive? :/

Tyrantrum

Did GameFreak increase their filters on certain words or something??

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Poof is also kinda an abbreviated form of a slur against gay people (which may be only in Britain).

You know, I understand for GTS or trade, or even battle, but if I want to name my Tauros "Lil' Bastard" because it took like forty pokeballs to catch and I'm keeping it for myself, isn't that my right? I couldn't name my Dodrio Blitzkrieg. Apparently this is a little too Nazi-esque for Nintendo. inb4 it's actually because of some set of like two letters which has nothing to do with the content of the name, like how for a while you couldn't do anything with Cofagrigus if it wasn't nicknamed

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Just a suggestion to GF... They could pretty much censor 'USELESS' as a nickname and 'SLAVE'. I mean, it sounds so rude to pokemon, it surprise me they're still allowed!

Here's a list of censored words. I think some foreign words are censored, even if you aren't playing in that language.

How came "MIJAR" be offensive? I'll send you, Mijar! Now, pee on your opponent!
Even being a brazilian I don't found this so offensive... But there IS some brazilians that will get offended. GF is actually quite right in that matter, I see.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Fun fact: for a brief period of time, the Gen V censor prevented Cofagrigus from being put up on the GTS.

They wouldn't allow "poof" in Gen. 5, either.

I know this because of 2 reasons:

1. I tried naming a Jigglypuff that.
2. Notice how when your Pokemon learn a new move as of Gen. 5, it says "ta-da" instead of "poof."

I still don't get it, though. How's that offensive? :/
In the UK, it's slang for a homosexual.

That sounds like something a ten-year-old would come up with. I really want to know where you're from.

Enjolras

Master of the House
In my opinion, they should let you name it whatever you want, but not let you put it on the GTS or battle with it unless you rename it.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I can kind of understand "Tumbleweed", but I don't get "Spike" and "Poof". I must of lived a sheltered life because I never heard them used as offensive slang.
It may well be a country specific thing. As The Admiral posted below, Poof is also a description for gay people which is not of a flattering nature (I know of it, but then Australia tends to use British English).

A friend of mine was annoyed when she couldn't name something a joke name, but thems the breaks. I suppose it's no major problem in the end if they want to maintain the E for everyone direction they're going for with Pokemon.

Marvs

Shinneeee!

(Poo)f and (spik)e the latter is rather offensive, poo somewhat not..

emawerna

I have a collection of dittos of different natures. I always give my dittos names that indicate sexual promiscuity. Maybe they'll prevent me from transferring over "*". Heck, they might even catch "Pimp." I'll still probably get away with transferring "Wench," "Harlot," "Strumpet," "Madam," and "Floozy."

The thesaurus is your friend. Censorship is a losing war.

Edit: *Censored by Serebii also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.