• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyLucario

Team Gracidea <3
GameFreak is way too strict with the names lol. I really wish they'd lift the name bans and just not allow them on WiFi. To outright refuse the name is wrong though. If a person wants to nickname their Pokemon, LET THEM.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Reading the thread months later, it's amazing how many people STILL want to name their Pokémon Violet.

Last edited:

SleepFreak

Mediocre Trainer
I couldn't name my first shiny "Humpy" which disappoints me. Relicanth fits the name I was going for, usually called Humpbacks, Humpy for short is a fish you catch a lot but don't want where I live. Oh well.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Considering a great deal of players are now teenagers and adults, you'd think they would make the games a bit more mature.

I thought they were with Dahlia, considering she dresses like she's itching to get laid.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Eh I don't blame Gamefreak, a lot of kids play Pokemon, if there were no restrictions it would be kind of weird for a little kid seeing Weedle named something inappropriate. Kids play this game too. Some of the restrictions though are silly.

GameFreak is way too strict with the names lol. I really wish they'd lift the name bans and just not allow them on WiFi. To outright refuse the name is wrong though. If a person wants to nickname their Pokemon, LET THEM.

You'd have to factor in traded Pokemon too. You would have to make it so the nickname resets if you trade it, which actually would be nice. Or at least so that the game makes a check when you trade a Pokemon and if it has a name that would be restricted, then it would rest or something like that.

Mutant Mesprit

Fairy Tale Boy
I love nicknaming my Pokemon, and I name my Pokemon bizarre names.

I can name my Glaceon Gayceon.
I can give Lioasis the Eevee to some kid via WT.
I can name my Espurr Bloodshed.
I can name my Sylveon Paranoid.
I can name a bunch of Pokemon meatspin (.com) and send them to kids over WT.

..and yet I can't name my Houndoom or Chespin 'Spike'. I know 'spik' is either a slur or a drug, but still!!

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I love nicknaming my Pokemon, and I name my Pokemon bizarre names.

I can name my Glaceon Gayceon.
I can give Lioasis the Eevee to some kid via WT.
I can name my Espurr Bloodshed.
I can name my Sylveon Paranoid.

I actually named my Sylveon Lesbeon.

Early on before the release of X & Y, someone made a joke about Sylveon being the lesbian pokemon. Since I already had my longstanding female Umbreon (which I named Persephone), I decided to run with it, have a female Sylveon, and let the two be eternal companions. They actually ended up being my best double team.

Anyhoo, it's so unfortunate how Game Freak places such odd restrictions on names. The system should restrict specific words, not merely their spelling.

Mutant Mesprit

Fairy Tale Boy
I actually named my Sylveon Lesbeon.

Early on before the release of X & Y, someone made a joke about Sylveon being the lesbian pokemon. Since I already had my longstanding female Umbreon (which I named Persephone), I decided to run with it, have a female Sylveon, and let the two be eternal companions. They actually ended up being my best double team.

OTP, best couple. Making fanart right now. Screw Nightlight, we have the lesbeons.
On a similar topic, I found a joke about 'lespeon'. Lesbeon/Lespeon/Persephone OT3.

Bad jokes aside, I agree. Maybe there should be something along the lines of a context survey sort of thing so innocent names like 'Spike' can go through, while slurs and such wouldn't go through. Or maybe parental controls can be set in by parents of the younger kids playing so names with slurs or whatever would be reverted to the Pokemon's species name.

keybug55

Pop sensation
Not sure if this is brought up in the thread but anyone remember you can get an in game trade of an Onix named Thumper in X/Y?

That Onix is really special because it's the only pokemon that can be name Thumper.

Thumper.

My god Game Freak.

HeyGinge

I still hated how cofagrigus has its base name censored in black and white so you had to change its name in order to trade it.

I was a bit irritated when I couldn't name a Relicanth that I hatched Fish Tank. It seems like the perfect nickname for it to me. I mean, there's Miltank that has tank in its name, so it makes very little sense to me, especially since I was able to name my Miltank Tank Girl.

Absolutely Absol

It's just Absol...
I was a bit irritated when I couldn't name a Relicanth that I hatched Fish Tank. It seems like the perfect nickname for it to me. I mean, there's Miltank that has tank in its name, so it makes very little sense to me, especially since I was able to name my Miltank Tank Girl.
It is probably 'sh t' which is well, s**t.

Malfor

X and Y will be good
I was so angry when I started Pokemon Y and found that my last name was censored. They've even had Trainers use it in-game! Gentleman Tucker and Dome Ace Tucker.

I get that it's obviously close to a bad word but come on, it's a real name and they've used it themselves!

Tell me about it. My brother's name is Tucker, so he had to give his character another name. SMH

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Tell me about it. My brother's name is Tucker, so he had to give his character another name. SMH

It's so odd, because we can name a pokemon Tuck, but not Tucker.

The craziest part about is that Tucker is censored, but Cocaine and Heroin are perfectly fine names. They really need to fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.