• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Spike itself isn't a rude word. Take out the E and you'll get your answer.

Said answer is a word offensive towards Hispanic people. It's one that's brought up a lot in this thread alone.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
Said answer is a word offensive towards Hispanic people. It's one that's brought up a lot in this thread alone.

still it dose not make sense that Spkie gets banned. I do understand Spike without e would be banned but Spike... common as MLP fan I wanted a dragon named Spike but nope.

Kacho

You are next.
so i got a dwebble and tried naming it "ohcrapwtf" and it failed. so i changed it into "ohcrabwth"

i also got a shuckle and cant name it "sturdamn" and i did "sturdina" because she's a she.

I tried to name a Pokemon Violet but wasn't allowed to? I have no idea where the blocked word in that is. (I don't remember if said Pokemon was in White2 or Y though, either way, it didn't work.)

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
I tried to name a Pokemon Violet but wasn't allowed to? I have no idea where the blocked word in that is. (I don't remember if said Pokemon was in White2 or Y though, either way, it didn't work.)

It's been talked about quite a bit in this thread. Violet contains the word Viol which means rape in French. That's why it's censored.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
tried to name a zebstrika "grassrunner" but it didnt work, but "grass" does??

it probably has to do with the foreign word ZAKKEWASSR which means idiot for them

the ssr has gave you the hint why it wouldn't work

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
I have to say, I hope they fix this in oras. It has gotten out of control. Its not stopping actual offensive names-I've gotten ones named jewsdid9/11, and stuff like that. I hate this phrase, but it really is pc going nuts.

They should make it if its offensive in the country the game is from. I shouldn't be unable to name something because its offensive in some language across the freakin' globe. Not being able to name a poke something because a few of its letters spell something offensive is just plain dumb. The idiots are getting around it, and its just punishing normal people.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
are you telling me the "***" in grass works?
i mean i have a shiny ditto named Blue***.... <-seld change to asteriks*

yeah that's what i want to clarify, but it was a surprising part to me that grass would work - though i had to admit they shouldn't have been able to pass the word

- a very tricky one for them -_- -

Last edited:

Myuu~

I should have expected this, but I wasn't able to name my Beedrill 'Buzzkill'. It's a shame, really, since I was extremely excited about the nickname. While I obviously understand why, I still wait for the day when I can have a 'Buzzkill' on my team!

You could always try switching the "I" with "!". So it would be "Buzzk!ll". I don't know if the buzz part would still get blocked or not, but it's worth a try! :)

worldwaker

Elebug disaproves
The thing about "viol" though that viola has that in her name,even in the french version-violette.It was the first thing i noticed when i started a game in french after reading this thread

V

Shiny Hunter
In my opinion, they should let you name it whatever you want, but not let you put it on the GTS or battle with it unless you rename it.

This. It's MY Pokemon. If I want to name it something mean, I should be able to (not that I would), but I should NOT be allowed to share it with people.

I wasn't allowed to name my male Furfrou "Tramp" like in Lady and the Tramp, which was what I was going for. However, since in modern English, "tramp" is another word for a rather willing woman, where it used to just mean a vagrant, or basically hobo, like the Tramp is. It really bothered me because I wanted to name an Eevee Lady (most likely would have evolved it into Flareon, though Leafeon, Glaceon, and Espeon could work as Lady, too) but common! How cute would that have been? I was tempted to name it Scamp after their son, but I was too angry about not being able to do the original names. I ended up releasing the male one, catching a female and naming it Georgette (another Disney reference).
I think it is dumb myself, but at least my favorite puns are allowed (Butterfree named Toast, Bread for Slaking, Ceptable for Onix, you get the point).

Last edited:

TheGreaterLucario

Y'know, I bet that some of the Game Freak employees are raging about this after one of THEIR intended nicknames ended up getting blocked. Heck, I bet you that Ken Sugimori is having a reaction that can only be summed up by this Nostalgia Critic clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTNP792ykYM

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King

TheGreaterLucario

Really?! Oh my god, I need this story.

....Umm, what story? I'm just saying that a few GF employees probably have had the same problem as all of you guys and that they, along with Ken Sugimori, the head guy of the Pokemon production crew are just as annoyed with it. And then I included a clip of the Nostalgia Critic that sums up what I can see being Sugimori's reaction to the stupidity and broken-ness of the "nickname banlist".

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
I think ORAS's name blocking system has gotten worse.

I wanted to call my Secret Base Team Avian Alliance, but it blocked out the word Alliance. What gives Pokemon? >.<;

Status
Not open for further replies.