• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zozo

SLIMED!
I just caught a Cloyster and tried to name it DirtyDiamond after the Alice Cooper song.

Not allowed.

What? Because of the word "dirty"????? Oh come on! I just saw a flipping Clawitzer on the GTS named Jerks-a-lot. How come that got through but "dirty" and "dummy" get censored?
Blah.

Well, I feel your pain. I tried to nickname my Octillery 'Hooker' for the whole fishing chaining thing.

Yeah, I was puzzled for about 5 minutes before I realised why.

I was thinking of naming my Octillery that, but I figured the censor would be stupid over it. I went with "Fisher". Kind of silly, considering a fisher is a type of cat, but whatever. It's an octopus that evolves from a gunfish whose suction cups I'm using to make fish bite the invisible hook on my fishing pole every time it hits the water. In light of that, I guess naming Pokemon accurately isn't too important. ^^

thanks to the swear filter in x and y, i now know that the word "semen" is in "basement"

Lol! I just spat out some of my drink when I read that. Good for you. ^^

Last edited:

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
What? Because of the word "dirty"????? Oh come on! I just saw a flipping Clawitzer on the GTS named Jerks-a-lot. How come that got through but "dirty" and "dummy" get censored?
Blah.

Sometimes censorship can be silly. In Star Wars: The Old Republic Online, I can swear all the live-long day, but it censors "fart" ("fart-face". I was calling a Sith Lord NPC that. It lets me call him all the vulgar, swear-laden insults with no problem, but "fart-face" is a problem?). I know it's not the same, but it still makes me think of that.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I tried naming my male Chespin Spike but the game wouldn't let me, so I just named him Sonic.

Laurelai

I had caught a Spearow, and while I was pondering various possible names, a type of bird, the Tufted Titmouse popped into my head. I was amused and decided to annoy the filter with "Titsy"..... and it passed it.

Ok- lesson learned:
Tits ok, weeds not.

Artnerd

Insane Artist
I have an OC named Con, This is not funny, I wanted to get a 2nd game (perhaps Z) and play it as Con. How is naming myself 'idiot' offensive to anyone else?
I understand racial and sexual censors, but some of them..

Last edited:

SeliphFroakie

Let's just say, I tried to name a Pokemon after a character from another Nintendo game and it's blocked.

What they should have done is let you use the nickname, but only let friends see it. Battling or trading with random players would temporarily or permanently strip the offensive nickname.

Is there not several Pokemon that cannot be traded without a nickname like ProbopASS, FroslASS etc. I can see where gamefreak are coming from with the games aimed at a younger audience, but judging from this thread it has been over done.

Missingno.Fan

I wish they would have it so a Pokemon's nickname would disappear when traded on GTS. I think that would be a good solution so that little kids don't get Pokemon named something obscene, yet we can still name our Pokemon stuff like "Spike" and "Basement".

Keadin

I found a new pokemon so odd, in an endearing way, that I decided I wanted to nickname it "queer". Where I'm from, it isn't used in a bad way. It is simply another word for "weird". Also, it is used as an identity (ex. genderqueer). I was really ticked off when I couldn't call it that. If I have a pet peeve, it is censorship. I paid money for this game. I should nickname my pokemon anything I want. I simply added an extra "e" and called it "queeer" instead. I'm starting to nickname my pokemon nasty things and trying to bypass the filter out of spite.

Hehe, I remember reading Lord of the Rings, words like queer (strange) and ****** (a bundle of wood) were all over the place. Language and meaning associated with words changes though, and although there's undoubtedly a downside to this kind of censorship, I do think it's better than not having it at all.

Having said that, maybe in the future they can add an option to censor names or not, and you can only trade with people that also have the option on or off, as appropriate :) I'm fairly sure most if not all people would turn it off, so it wouldn't make a practical difference in terms of online trading.

EDIT: Okay, so f*ggot got censored here as well, whoops. I still meant the bundle of wood though :p

Quils

Strange Creature
Now I'm a little bit concerned about PokéBank. What if it doesn't let you transfer some Pokémon due to the censor?
Just imagine being unable to transfer your beloved shiny you've had for years just because its nickname contains somewhere an offensive word in some obscure ancient dead language from a remote island no one knows about...
If some names are a problem they should at least give you the option to change them. I would be really upset if I'm unable to transfer some of my beloved Pokémon. (And seriously, if you are trading away a Pokémon you are giving up on its ownership, if you really loved this Pokémon you wouldn't have traded it away... so yeah, that "we respect its original trainer wishes" thing is stupid).

Maedar

Banned
You know, as lame as Farfetch'd was... Back in the original games, you could only get it via in-game trade, and the rule that makes you unable to change the nickname meant no one in the entire country back then owned a Farfetch'd that didn't have the unbelievably-stupid nickname "DUX".

randomspot555

While they could put a nickname filter in Bank, I don't think they would. They could've filtered 4-5 transfers as well but they didn't. The main concern is GTS trading and in battles

Pompykins

friendly placebo
All of these nickname stories are great, if not completely silly.

But as for theme filtering the nicknames in the GTS trades, I have not the slightest.

I do remember trying to type "Serene Grace" into the GTS comment thing for I was searching for a Togepi with Serene Grace. It told me I could not use that word.
I think I took out "Serene" and it let me just put "Grace ability" or something along those lines.
Wow GTS I am very sorry for typing out a Pokemon ability.
I know it isn't a nickname, but I suppose it has to do with the filter issue everyone is having.

Attempting to name my Pokemon harmless things has become a terribly hard task. I love nicknaming every Pokemon I use, and thinking of names honestly gets quite complicated for me. Thus every time I think of an awesome name and it denies it I am stuck staring at the 3DS wondering what else I could name it.
But you know. God forbid I type "Serene" into the GTS.

Monek_OP

bernie2016
I wish they'd disable the filter for non-nicknamed monsters. It would just be simpler; if you want an un-nicknamed Probopass, you have to get one, breed it, and then evolve it somehow.

SeliphFroakie

I do remember trying to type "Serene Grace" into the GTS comment thing for I was searching for a Togepi with Serene Grace. It told me I could not use that word.
Between "Serene" and "Grace", a racial slur in a foreign language is formed.

Status
Not open for further replies.