• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
I can't name my character Sobek? But it's a god in Egypt I don't.....

Haddy

I thought I'd be clever and try and name a Weedle I caught in a Nuzlocke challenge Weedledee from Alice in Wonderland (Tweedledee and Tweedledum) And of course game freak said no, meaning it had to have a much less cooler nickname in Daydrill, because I lacked any real creativity.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I thought I'd be clever and try and name a Weedle I caught in a Nuzlocke challenge Weedledee from Alice in Wonderland (Tweedledee and Tweedledum) And of course game freak said no, meaning it had to have a much less cooler nickname in Daydrill, because I lacked any real creativity.

i don't know why they don't let you use these names and block you from trading them or using them to battle online. no one else will see them.

ArcticWolfl

Eggcellent Breeder
A acquaintance of mine couldn't name his character "Dick" while his name is Dick. That is kinda extreme.. =[

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
I managed to find some more Pokemon that cannot be traded over the GTS because of censored words in their own names. Here's the list with the censored words in capitals:

FroslASS
ProbopASS
NosepASS
CoFAGrigus (fixed)
MarSHTomp
SKUNTank
CONkeldurr
CroCONaw
BulbaSAUr
SharPEDO
IvySAUr
VenuSAUr

These were the ones I originally found. Here's some more censored Pokemon names:

CasCOON
BasCULin
VeniPEDE
WhirliPEDE
ScoliPEDE
PINEco
WEEDle
SAndshrew
SAndslash
SAndile
SAmurott
PanSAge
SAwk
SAbleye
SAlamence
SimiSAge
SAwsbuck
GaBITE
BelloSSom
HeracroSS
BliSSey
GorebySS
EelektroSS
AmoonguSS
UrSAring
GrumPIG
TePIG
PIGnite
CreSSelia
TogekiSS
MetagroSS
ZaPDos
ForetreSS

It seems that a lot of the censors come from "SS" or "SA". Coincidentally, they are both abbreviations relating to the Nazis.

RyuoftheMyst

Evolution Master
I found that some of the pokemons names are censored, or not able to be traded on GTS because they don't translate well in other languages.

And I keep getting caterpies in wondertrade named Pen15Pen15Pen15 ... As if that isn't saying something, idk... I had 12 of them at one time...

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Other attempts--Furfrou couldn't be named "Peanuts" but it permitted "Peanut",
Bah, this one. Wanted to give that name to a Quagsire, but had to go for the form without the s.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I managed to find some more Pokemon that cannot be traded over the GTS because of censored words in their own names. Here's the list with the censored words in capitals:

FroslASS
ProbopASS
NosepASS
CoFAGrigus (fixed)
MarSHTomp
SKUNTank
CONkeldurr
CroCONaw
BulbaSAUr
SharPEDO
IvySAUr
VenuSAUr

These were the ones I originally found. Here's some more censored Pokemon names:

CasCOON
BasCULin
VeniPEDE
WhirliPEDE
ScoliPEDE
PINEco
WEEDle
SAndshrew
SAndslash
SAndile
SAmurott
PanSAge
SAwk
SAbleye
SAlamence
SimiSAge
SAwsbuck
GaBITE
BelloSSom
HeracroSS
BliSSey
GorebySS
EelektroSS
AmoonguSS
UrSAring
GrumPIG
TePIG
PIGnite
CreSSelia
TogekiSS
MetagroSS
ZaPDos
ForetreSS

It seems that a lot of the censors come from "SS" or "SA". Coincidentally, they are both abbreviations relating to the Nazis.

That's... Ridiculous. Guess Pikachu isn't censored? Because many people in brazil use it to refer to penis... (The "Pika" part)

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
How about this for something rather disturbing about the censor:

The Holo Caster in X/Y is designed to broadcast holograms, hence the name. However, the name seems to be uncomfortably close to the word "Holocaust" despite it being a combination of "broadcast" and "hologram" and that could tie in with Team Flare and Lysandre's plot, because Lysandre Labs created the Holo Caster, and Lysandre used it to broadcast a message about the ultimate weapon and how it will wipe out everyone apart from those in Team Flare, much like when Hitler wanted to wipe out the Jews.

Strangely though, the word "Holocaust" is censored, even though that's just what Lysandre is doing as part of the plot. It's got a different name in German though for this reason.

I tried nicknaming my Nidorino 'Prickles' a few months ago. I get why it's censored, but it was still annoying.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
I think that the censor would be better if they changed it so that if any offensive words were standing alone (As in, not contained within another word) then it would censor it then. Of course, to avoid the predictable loophole, any of those words in all caps would also be censored. And maybe change up the banlist.

Not perfect, but you can still name your Weedle "Spike"

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
I think that the censor would be better if they changed it so that if any offensive words were standing alone (As in, not contained within another word) then it would censor it then. Of course, to avoid the predictable loophole, any of those words in all caps would also be censored. And maybe change up the banlist.

Not perfect, but you can still name your Weedle "Spike"

Yep, that's just what we want exactly. phpBB does this in its forum hosting engine in the admin control panel when trying to censor words - the word only, not any word containing the censored word.

I can't use the name Haxorus......

Maybe "hax" could be the problem?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Why would they censor "hax" though? It isn't obscene through any stretch of the imagination.

Also I got a pokemon nicknamed "cumbucket". Apparently that isn't censored and that makes no sense.

We need to get ahold of Nintendo and tell them that their list is absurd.

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
Why would they censor "hax" though?

That's just my guess as to what's been censored. I don't know whether "hax" got censored or whether it was some foreign swear word that could be the problem, like "sau" (meaning pig in German) in the Bulbasaur line.

Status
Not open for further replies.