• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarinaS

sinnoh queen
How is spike a racial slur??

Tumblweed isn't allowed probably because it contains the word weed.

zozo

SLIMED!
Oh, yeah, I had a name censored too. I had to catch a Quagsire because it was too tough to KO without wasting a bunch of items, and I really don't like Quagsire so I tried to name it "Dummy". I honestly don't get why that was censored.

So, I just named it "Stupid" and called it a day.

EDIT: @SkywardZelda: "Spike" isn't a racial slur, but I believe "spik" is. I think it's supposed to be short for Hispanic...? Or something. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Too bad that Spike is no longer allowed though. I rather liked that name. It reminds me of childhood memories, when I loved the Land Before Time series...

Last edited:

choof

I can kind of understand "Tumbleweed", but I don't get "Spike" and "Poof". I must of lived a sheltered life because I never heard them used as offensive slang.
"Spike" contains "spik," which could be perceived as a racial slur pointed towards Hispanics

edit: okay apparently I'm dumb and can't get spoilers to work so w/e

Last edited:

ImpyreFox

Spriter and Writer
I'm kind of glad they added censors. I once got a togetic in a trade named "condom" and I was REALLY pissed off. And since the Pokémon wasn't mine, I couldn't rename it.
Of course, they could just let you rename any Pokémon, even if it isn't yours. None of that "keeping the name respects the original trainer's feelings" crap that the name rater tells you.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Zozo...
Even though "Spik" is considered a ethnic slur, I still don't see how can it be offensive only because one has Hispanic descendancy. Because well... It's obvious. There's probably more in it, right? Can someone else explain it better?

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Something is strange... Did someone else noticed only now that thing in some pokemon names? I haven't noticed that of Cofagrigus, Frosslass, Nosepass, Weedle, Skuntank... Man, they're exaggerating. It's hard, REALLY, hard to notice it. I've only noticed Weedle one because... Well! But dear, c'mon. Their names were really censored on GTS? Really?

I thought I saw a picture where someone couldn't name their own character "Conner"

'Conne' is a offense in French, as far as know. Violet is also censored, too. Oh dear... I also heard "Asuka" and "Pik" is censored, too. Funny, since "Pika" can be considered offensive (by GF standards) here, too.

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned
Something is strange... Did someone else noticed only now that thing in some pokemon names? I haven't noticed that of Cofagrigus, Frosslass, Nosepass, Weedle, Skuntank... Man, they're exaggerating. It's hard, REALLY, hard to notice it. I've only noticed Weedle one because... Well! But dear, c'mon. Their names were really censored on GTS? Really?

'Conne' is a offense in French, as far as know. Violet is also censored, too. Oh dear... I also heard "Asuka" and "Pik" is censored, too. Funny, since "Pika" can be considered offensive (by GF standards) here, too.

Suka is offensive in Russia (and pretty much everywhere in Eastern Europe).
Yes those you mentioned are obvious and annoying.
Also I hate that I cannot name my Mienshao ,Grasshoper, though he looks like one.

clendinning

Zozo...
Even though "Spik" is considered a ethnic slur, I still don't see how can it be offensive only because one has Hispanic descendancy. Because well... It's obvious. There's probably more in it, right? Can someone else explain it better?

Is your question "why is spic offensive?" It's offensive because it's used derogatorily to insult Hispanic people, usually aimed at those of Mestizo descent. Not particularly different from any other ethnic slur.

It's an odd situation because right now the filter is obviously hyper-sensitive (tumbleweed? come on!). But if it were made less sensitive, it might allow some things it's trying to avoid (so "smoke weed" might be caught, but "smokeweed" wouldn't).

Just a few days ago I tried naming my Pokémon something but I can't for the life of me remember the name. I was amused because the game said very strictly "You can't use that."

I named my Pokemon Englind instead of England.
AND TRADED IT ON WONDER TRADE

Silent_Vibrava

Fanfiction Writer
I found a new pokemon so odd, in an endearing way, that I decided I wanted to nickname it "queer". Where I'm from, it isn't used in a bad way. It is simply another word for "weird". Also, it is used as an identity (ex. genderqueer). I was really ticked off when I couldn't call it that. If I have a pet peeve, it is censorship. I paid money for this game. I should nickname my pokemon anything I want. I simply added an extra "e" and called it "queeer" instead. I'm starting to nickname my pokemon nasty things and trying to bypass the filter out of spite.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
This is a ridiculous extreme, it's one thing to censor stuff like swear words and other unambiguously offensive words, but words that have nonoffensive meanings (like weed) and obscure slurs don't really need to be censored. It's like this people are geared to think these words can only mean offensive things, why not just censor half of the dictionary while we're at it?

Blood Red Absol

AquaMilotic's Waifu
Not sure if this counts... but in PMD gates to infinity it wouldn't let me call my Axew Georgie... I thought that was very strange e.0

TheGreaterLucario

Sometimes I find the whole censor thing so ironic..... Case in point: On my Platinum, at one point I saw a Lv. 99 Shiny Geodude on the GTS named Rock Balls. Another time I saw a Shiny Kyogre name Poop. It's gone from one extreme (anyone can name a Pokemon ANYTHING) to the other (there are, like, a billion censored words, half of which are censored due to stupid technicalities- Yes, these reasons are technicalities). ....I guess you can't nickname a Magmar it's Japanese name "Boober" because "oh, it has the word boob in it! OMG it's so offensive!" It's a word that's used almost every day now!

zozo

SLIMED!
I completely understand that there are some great reasons for censoring, and in that sense I don't really mind being censored in the game. But, I do wish that it was done a little better. I think they should have made it so that you can name your Pokemon anything you want, but if it is a name that is caught by the censor as being "bad", then a warning comes up:
WARNING: This Pokemon has a possibly offensive name. If you keep this name, you will not be able to trade it. Keep the name?
Or something. Basically, you can have any Pokemon name you like for your own game. That makes sense. After all, it is your game and you should be able to do whatever you like on it, as long as you aren't harming others in any way. The censor thing would only come up if you tried to trade it (or possibly battle with it if they've stopped stripping the nicknames during wi-fi battles), but wouldn't block it any more if you change the name.

Not a perfect solution (but then, there's rarely ever a perfect solution to anything), but I think it'd be a little better than just censoring everything across the board. At least you'd be able to have your Tumbleweed, Spike, Dummy, and Conner for in-game. ^^ But on the other hand, you wouldn't be subjected to Rapist the Shaymin, Swamp**** the Swampert, Gross**** the Metagross, etc, all of which I've seen.

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I do understand when they censor certain things like those already mentioned. Someone naming a Cofagrigus like CoFAGrigus just to add emphasis on it is simply mean. But they SHOULDN'T 'ban' Cofagrigus from being trades (without nickname (and as far as I know it doesn't happen anymore)) just because of this. The censorship shouldn't allow something like "suck my ****", "FroslASSHOLE" or "imgonnapeeonyou", because... Well! But limiting something like Tumbleweed, Spike, Violet, Basuka (which is actually cool names and very passable) and such... Is simply ridiculous!
But oh dear... They can't let you name whatever you want because they're afraid of those idiots that name it with silly names.

Clendinning said:
Is your question "why is spic offensive?" It's offensive because it's used derogatorily to insult Hispanic people, usually aimed at those of Mestizo descent. Not particularly different from any other ethnic slur.

I see. I guess, brazilians don't use this sort of thing as a offense, and then I didn't knew and found rather idiot how it is used.

randomspot555

This is a ridiculous extreme, it's one thing to censor stuff like swear words and other unambiguously offensive words, but words that have nonoffensive meanings (like weed)

I can almost guarantee anyone nicknaming their Pokemon "weed" is doing it for the drug reference and not the type of weed you might find growing in a yard.

and obscure slurs

Spik is not some obscure slur.

Status
Not open for further replies.