• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Randomspot555 said:
I can almost guarantee anyone nicknaming their Pokemon "weed" is doing it for the drug reference and not the type of weed you might find growing in a yard.

I have to ask, how can "Weed" (the word) be offensive to someone? If I nickname my Jumpluff "Weed", will it offend other people just because of "Weed"?

Last edited:

Chewiana Jones

Dunsparciologist
I tried to nickname a Gurrdur "Ravioli" and had it blocked for... reasons, I guess? I ended up having to spell it "Raveoli" Apparently somebody at Gamefreak doesn't like pasta...

randomspot555

I have to ask, how can "Weed" (the word) be offensive to someone? If I nickname my Jumpluff "Weed", will it offend other people just because of "Weed"?

my post right above yours said:
]I can almost guarantee anyone nicknaming their Pokemon "weed" is doing it for the drug reference and not the type of weed you might find growing in a yard.

I would imagine that the offensive filter isn't so much to repress the older players from naming their Pokemon oh-so-hilarious names, but rather to prevent these offensively named Pokemon from being traded to younger kids, whose parents probably wouldn't appreciate it so much. During Gen 4 and 5, there were unfortunately some events that were hijacked where hacked Pokemon were distributed through a stolen event cart and broadcasted for people to download that contained very racist nicknames of a Pokemon and a moveset that implied a very negative stereotype. While it is unfortunate that some regular names (including some actual, normal Pokemon names) get caught in the trap, this is hardly the first game to do something like this and it is perfectly understandable why they would do so.

Last edited:

randomspot555

Wow thats a lot; I feel like a need to take a shower now.

I never thought Spike would be considered "bad". I have named my Turtrwig Spike in the past tho(After the Land before Time character).

Spike isn't bad but it contains a word within it that is, as has been explained numerous times.

Espybrave

I can't name my pokemon what I want because some person 500,000 miles away from me will be affended.
Yep it's frustrating but I wouldn't want to upset nobody.

Kyoshi

Waterbending Master
Well, I feel your pain. I tried to nickname my Octillery 'Hooker' for the whole fishing chaining thing.

Yeah, I was puzzled for about 5 minutes before I realised why.

MuseHarmonia

~♥Raichu♥~
I just recently started nicknaming my pokemon.
They block the silliest things.
I tried naming my something in my Japanese game, and I had no clue, I just picked symbols, but it wouldn't let me. So I just gave up. I never found out what I was saying that was so "offensive".
That's why I don't play foreign games. They frustrate me.

My friend tried naming his Barbaracle "Conan," and he said that it was bounced back to him.

In other news, my entire team was nicknamed after Digimon at one point in my Y Version.

Not that those two scenarios are at all similar in any fashion, but still...

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Funny. I've always called my Hoppip "Weed" or "Weeds" since I was a little kid because they were based off dandelions. A type of garden weed. So no, not everyone who names their Pokemon "Weed" is a pothead or trying to be "Oh so funny".

I appreciate the filter, but it goes way to far. I understand why you do want lil kids receiving mons named "Spik", "Poofter", "Paki", or "Fuckdicks". But names like Tumbleweed? Spike? Conner? All legit names that happen to contain part of a word. It's worse than when Cofagrigus and Froslass couldn't be traded in G5 because they contained the word "fag" and "ass" in their names respectively.

When doing my Pokemon Y Fire Run. I couldn't name my Charizard "Sobek" for whatever reason. I'm guessing it's because of "S.O.B" means "Son of a *****" but c'mon. Most pkids are gonna see that as "Sob" as in "Crying" rather than a "dirty word".

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Funny. I've always called my Hoppip "Weed" or "Weeds" since I was a little kid because they were based off dandelions. A type of garden weed. So no, not everyone who names their Pokemon "Weed" is a pothead or trying to be "Oh so funny".

I appreciate the filter, but it goes way to far. I understand why you do want lil kids receiving mons named "Spik", "Poofter", "Paki", or "Fuckdicks". But names like Tumbleweed? Spike? Conner? All legit names that happen to contain part of a word. It's worse than when Cofagrigus and Froslass couldn't be traded in G5 because they contained the word "***" and "***" in their names respectively.

When doing my Pokemon Y Fire Run. I couldn't name my Charizard "Sobek" for whatever reason. I'm guessing it's because of "S.O.B" means "Son of a *****" but c'mon. Most pkids are gonna see that as "Sob" as in "Crying" rather than a "dirty word".

Perfect post! Awesome! Great!

Yes, I too don't see why they censor so much names, really. Would someone ever noticed that "S.O.B" on "Sobek"? Would someone ever think you named it only because of this? Would someone think "Spike" is referring to "Spik"? Or "Violet" to "Viole"? God... it's ridiculous. If the censor wasn't so flawed, it would be really welcome.

LDSman

I named a skiddo after some meme. Had to swap the normal e for an e with the apostrophe. I wonder traded it later. I wonder if whoever got it understood the reference?

Naten

Breeder
Catches Cofarigus
Says 'Yes, I want to nickname'
Can't think of name
Taps little Cofarigus sprite, fills field with name "Cofarigus"

YOO CAN'T ENTER DAT WORD
:(

FREAKIN' TAKE THE POOR THING

:meowthbal
|
|
|
|
:563:

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I tried to name my Skitty Spaz, but apparently that's a real insult somewhere and not a joke one like we use it here.

I've also tried Spicy, Spice, and Spike (I can't remember what the pokemon were).

Status
Not open for further replies.