• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neriifur

Just for people that aren't aware, don't forget that the uppercase i looks just like a lowercase L. It will help you get around censorship greatly for names that don't need to be censored. Example is someone posted on Reddit saying they were having an issue naming their Pokemon "Violet". Well if you use the uppercase i, you can't tell the difference. I've been using that trick in MMOs to get names I've wanted for years.

My Xernes:

[img139]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102586847/violet.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Wait, why would they edit something that means pig?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Yeah, but no more vile than calling someone a dog. It wouldn't be censored for pre-school work, that's how mild it is.

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
Yeah, but no more vile than calling someone a dog. It wouldn't be censored for pre-school work, that's how mild it is.

It's the same with the word "bite". It's even a move so it seems perfectly benign, yet in French it means "dick".

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
It's so strange how they comb through so many obscure words in all languages and yet "cumbucket" is permitted. As well as "niqqa", which I see far too much.

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
Just for people that aren't aware, don't forget that the uppercase i looks just like a lowercase L. It will help you get around censorship greatly for names that don't need to be censored. Example is someone posted on Reddit saying they were having an issue naming their Pokemon "Violet". Well if you use the uppercase i, you can't tell the difference. I've been using that trick in MMOs to get names I've wanted for years.

Good trick. However, the problem with it is that you can only use lowercase nicknames. For example, trying to bypass with the word "VIOLET" will make it look like this: "VIOlET". You can also do this with "spike" but you can only spell it "SPlKE" and doing it in lowercase will result in "SpIke".

Kitty1337

it let me name my jynx jew for some reason lol

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Nice trick with the Violet thing! Would never noticed if you didn't tell me.

Good trick. However, the problem with it is that you can only use lowercase nicknames. For example, trying to bypass with the word "VIOLET" will make it look like this: "VIOlET". You can also do this with "spike" but you can only spell it "SPlKE" and doing it in lowercase will result in "SpIke".

Wait... We can only use lowercase nicknames? In this gen only, right? Because I don't remember such thing...

JunJun

Ugh, this system is so annoying. I haven't been allowed to use:
Penelope - I think 'pene' means penis in some languages?
Fanny - I get why, but this is a common name in Sweden ... The English meaning didn't even cross my mind until it protested.
Georgie - it's the 'orgie' I guess
Violet

I went with the apparently more proper Phaedra, Fransisca and George for the first three, but for the last I felt rebellious, and smugly named it Pippa instead (a Swedish word for having sex. We're very amused by Pippa Middleton). Only a handful of Swedish words seem to be censored ...

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
Actually you can't. I tried to name my Chespin 'Spike' and it wouldn't let me.

It's a well-known fact in this thread that you can't name a Pokemon "Spike" because it contains "spik". Clinkclang was simply suggesting an alternative way the censor should use, in that it will only block words if they are the censorwords themselves, rather than being contained in another word, like the censor shouldn't censor "SPIKe" but only just "spik".

But yeah, the censor is stupid. "Spike" is a forbidden word, yet "cumbucket" isn't? Clearly the latter is much more profane.

Emmulah

The game didn't let me name my Trevenant "Vashta Narada" but it let me name my Chespin "Bad*ss."

Only, you know, the regular spelling. Really, pokemon?

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Viole means rape in French, if I'm right.

oops, i didn't know that. yeah i just found out but never expect that to become a somehow vulgarized word

Last edited:

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
oops, i didn't know that. yeah i just found out but never expect that to become a somehow vulgarized word

Actually, you can't name your Pokemon "viol" either. However, there is a way to get around it; spelling it like this: VioIet will effectively bypass the censor.

What's particularly odd about this is that the first Gym Leader in X/Y is Viola, and yet you can't use that name.

fitzy909

Just another guy
Actually, you can't name your Pokemon "viol" either. However, there is a way to get around it; spelling it like this: VioIet will effectively bypass the censor.

What's particularly odd about this is that the first Gym Leader in X/Y is Viola, and yet you can't use that name.

true. That is slighlty strange, but is that name the same in the regions where "viol" or whatever is offensive? If her name changes then it doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.