• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Okay.But still.I'm not playing in French,so they should at LEAST allow me to put in Violet,because it completely ruins my nicknaming theme.

yeah i know but there's a trick to surpass those censored words, i think it has been mentioned in the earlier pages

cite: if you want the word viola , you can input the long I as letter l however it will become VioIA but still its very near to the word you seek

Phsy-Spark

your wish is my strong recommendation
yeah i know but there's a trick to surpass those censored words, i think it has been mentioned in the earlier pages

cite: if you want the word viola , you can input the long I as letter l however it will become VioIA but still its very near to the word you seek

That is what I do in other games XD. Just try spelling Violet with an upercase I.

Anakin0993

Nomadic Breeder
It is probably ShineS HATched... if game ignores space.

It can't be that. Just the singular hatched was censored. There's always the chance it's similar to some vulgarity that's not part of the English language. Which would that be? I have no idea.

These.......

I just don't understand, if GF are so over-sensitive with nicknames, why don't they just take off the nickname feature then? If no Pokemon can be nicknamed, then there is no need for censoring, then no one will gets angry.

Then of course, I'm sure a super-large group of Pokemon fans will leave the game for good because that is one of the greatest enjoyment feature of the game.

Now GF is spoiling this greatest enjoyment for this stupid censoring......
Or should I say, they give us another kind of enjoyment by this censoring? (sarcasm)
I really don't think "Naming" Pokemon is fun. Or in fact at all enjoyable.

Like a lot of people have said, naming a Pokemon something like "Condom" and then Wonder Trading it or GTS trading it is very annoying, since, the Name Rater won't let you change the name. (Oh my Arceus this has happened sooooo (endless o's) many times to me)

And the whole "Tucker" and "Tuck" thing is pretty crazy. I mean, sure, it's one letter off, but ***ker isn't really the "F word", if anything Tuck should be censored too.
One letter or two letters off. *Psh* I got a Pokemon named Fegit, and if anything that is a lot closer than pig or poof.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Weird thing is, violet is a perfectly valid French word meaning "purple". Umm...

Tonguetyd

I can't name my Sableye "Violet" because it's SEEMINGLY close to "Violent".I know it's one letter off,but seriously Gamefreak?Well,sometimes I hate you,too.

No, it's because "Viol" is RAEP in French.
I think.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
It can't be that. Just the singular hatched was censored. There's always the chance it's similar to some vulgarity that's not part of the English language. Which would that be? I have no idea.

yeah but still once a part of the word is inappropriate or may cause harm to another person that automatically censors the word

as for shines hatched, its a pretty tricky one but you can have it like this Shines Hatched - omit the a in hatched you will have ShinesHtched, see the difference now?

Anakin0993

Nomadic Breeder
yeah but still once a part of the word is inappropriate or may cause harm to another person that automatically censors the word

as for shines hatched, its a pretty tricky one but you can have it like this Shines Hatched - omit the a in hatched you will have ShinesHtched, see the difference now?

I named the box Shinies Egg in the end anyway. Just doesn't sound as good (I'm not a huge fan of abbrieviations).
Plus; I can understand censorship for nicknames (within reason of course). It just doesn't make sense to censor the PC.

Last edited:

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Ok, I have said this before but it's worth repeating.

Fix the darn censors already.

I mean seriously, just because something happens to be a swear word in one language doesn't mean it is in English.

Also, these words should be banned WHEN going online.

What someone names their Pokémon when they're playing offline is their business alone.

Folsom

Why? Well, wynaut?
I couldn't put rattata but I can put Rattata...its just a capital r come on lol

Also people name pokemon, like I name my shinies, because it feels like they belong to you and theyre unique and not some regular pokemon. I can get any shiny scrafty, but not a scrafty named Detox. It feels like they actually belong to you.

If I couldnt name pokemon I wouldn't play it.

And the fact they censored so many words is silly. They shouldve just made it rated t for teens instead of for kids too.

I wantee to name a shiny nidoking spike but then I couldn't so I didnt want it anymore. It really does suck. But atleast we can name them right?

Also why did they cencor the words shinies hatched?

Last edited:

Elchar

I couldn't name my Bagon "Spike" (after My Little Pony character)... at least I could name my Blastoise "Tank" (after another mlp character + it fits)
I wonder if my Jynx's nickname "Mrs. Obama" from White would get through?

Last edited:

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
I couldn't put rattata but I can put Rattata...its just a capital r come on lol

Also why did they cencor the words shinies hatched?

because i had a feeling that rat might sound like rut, which is probably a vulgarism in other language

for your second one i think that has been answered by me a few weeks ago, but anyway the reason with that because the word shinies hatched could be input as shinies htched - now try putting the two words together and see if you can find the magic word which makes it improper

I wonder if my Jynx's nickname "Mrs. Obama" from White would get through?

unless obama sounds offensive in other language, i think that name would be safe to use

Tonguetyd

I couldn't name my Bagon "Spike" (after My Little Pony character)... at least I could name my Blastoise "Tank" (after another mlp character + it fits)

I can't blame Game Freak for banning My Little Pony names...

SharpedoX

Treinador Áureo
Ok, I have said this before but it's worth repeating.

Fix the darn censors already.

I mean seriously, just because something happens to be a swear word in one language doesn't mean it is in English.

Also, these words should be banned WHEN going online.

What someone names their Pokémon when they're playing offline is their business alone.
This right here. The censor list is amazing. I can't name my 'mons the most trivial things because someone out there is offended? Come on.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
I can't blame Game Freak for banning My Little Pony names...

as long the word has something offensive to another country or people, there's no choice but to stick with it even if the characters would come from your favorite cartoons or games

unless you are the head of gf then you probably would change this

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
lol honestly though the Spike thing really gets me thinking. I wonder in what context or country it's considered offensive. Maybe it's related to fetish or kinky stuff? xD

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
lol honestly though the Spike thing really gets me thinking. I wonder in what context or country it's considered offensive. Maybe it's related to fetish or kinky stuff? xD

yup you are right on target, spike could be taken as spyk (yeah drop the e ) - and that would mean actually a racist in other language, not sure about the country xd

MDS777

The name's Riley

Spike contains spik which is an alternate spelling of the derogatory word spic.

Status
Not open for further replies.