• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
Ok, I have said this before but it's worth repeating.

Fix the darn censors already.

I mean seriously, just because something happens to be a swear word in one language doesn't mean it is in English.

Also, these words should be banned WHEN going online.

What someone names their Pokémon when they're playing offline is their business alone.

There are other cases in which only you can see what names you put in, and the name entry is not just with the trainer and with Pokemon nicknames. I don't see why PC boxes need to have this stupid censor as well. Come on, only you can see the names you gave to your boxes, so why do GF have to stupidly censor it even at that level?

A better solution would be to get rid of all censoring in names that aren't going to be shown to others, such as PC boxes, but for Pokemon and the trainer, the censor should be strict, but not blocking the word if it contains part of it in the whole word itself.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Seems i cant name my Bunnelby, Thumper. While I think i have a pretty good idea why its Censored, I Still wanted to name a Bunny pokemon after Thumper from Bambi. :(

Thing is I wouldnt even Think Thumper contained a "Bad" word if it wasnt Censored.

Last edited:

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
wow, i looked at the list and quite frankly:
ADHD? JESESSUCKS??? SPASTIC???? 9/11?????????????? what!? the one i really don't understand is ADHD or spastic. 9/11 and jesussucks are just bad taste but freaking ADHD? why? What's the problem with that?

Is cofagrigus still a problem to the GTS?

Last edited:

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Seems i cant name my Bunnelby, Thumper. While I think i have a pretty good idea why its Censored, I Still wanted to name a Bunny pokemon after Thumper from Bambi. :(

Thing is I wouldnt even Think Thumper contained a "Bad" word if it wasnt Censored.

as expected my guess was right, one of my friends said thumper is a censored word because the word hump might have something to do with it, and i found out that the word hump is also a slang word for sexual intercourse so this probably could explain the reasoning behind it -_-

but freaking ADHD? why? What's the problem with that?

i had a feeling that ADHD might have something to do with a curse ( it can or can't be), and even myself don't want to think about it :x

Last edited:

jrmftw

Green Dragon Trainer
The worst part of it all.. is that I go onto the GTS and see legendary pokemon for trade that LITERALLY have the nickname "F*** YOU" How does this get past the filters?
I assume they are hacked pokemon.
It makes me so mad. Most banned names are either trivial or if derogatory related ti that particular Pokemon, but this is aimed at the people searching through the GTS.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
i had a feeling that ADHD might have something to do with a curse ( it can or can't be), and even myself don't want to think about it :x
Well, people sometimes use mental disorders as insults. Usually, those people are trolls.

fitzy909

Just another guy
wow, i looked at the list and quite frankly:
ADHD? JESESSUCKS??? SPASTIC???? 9/11?????????????? what!? the one i really don't understand is ADHD or spastic. 9/11 and jesussucks are just bad taste but freaking ADHD? why? What's the problem with that?

Is cofagrigus still a problem to the GTS?

It must be due to those being rather touchy subjects for certain people. They can also be used as insults by some as well.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
*looks on google *

i found out that spastic is a word offensive to disabled people, not sure what it would mean but technically referring to insults might be right

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser

To make matters worse, you can do a trade in Cyllage City for a Steelix in exchange for a Luvdisc. Guess what the Steelix is called? Thumper. Really, GF? Why are you being hypocrites?

*looks on google *

i found out that spastic is a word offensive to disabled people, not sure what it would mean but technically referring to insults might be right

Only in the UK, and it's also the reason why Mario Party 8 was delayed release in the UK, because one of the minigames contained the word "spastic". This was replaced with "erratic".

Meillquei

Keeper of Slurpuffs
I've got a wonder traded Pokemon that was a swear word with two letters switched around. Why is that allowed but Spike isn't? It's kind of silly.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I've got a wonder traded Pokemon that was a swear word with two letters switched around. Why is that allowed but Spike isn't? It's kind of silly.

That is odd. I can call a pokemon fukc, but not spike? Then again carp is a swap of two letters from a swear word.

"Viol" is french for r*** I think. Just replace the lowercase L with an uppercase I. The filter is kind of broken though. I can't name my Pawniard "Boo Boo", but I can get a Spritzee named "Sassy C***" (u replaced with v) and a Charmander named "L1ck balls" off of wonder trade...

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
"Viol" is french for r*** I think. Just replace the lowercase L with an uppercase I. The filter is kind of broken though. I can't name my Pawniard "Boo Boo", but I can get a Spritzee named "Sassy C***" (u replaced with v) and a Charmander named "L1ck balls" off of wonder trade...

tbh i really don't know why some censored words would get though to the gts, they really should fix this asap

I never thought of that! But now I'm conflicted between Violet and the name I did give her, Azalea. :'x

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
I'm pretty sure Nintendo just blocked Violet to promote names that are more original than that, since it seems that Violet is the default name everybody gives to their purple Pokémon.

NotABeginningTrainer

I just realized, it became a tradition for me to name all of my rock types as "stoner" in gen 4. I guess I couldn't do that now. :(

Clovaria

I had a problem with the name Violet too; I was catching Scatterbug to Wondertrade as Vivillion, and I wanted them all to have a name starting with V. I had also tried to name my Dedenne Boo Boo, but apparently that's offensive. Yet I could name a Panpour BUTTZ

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo just blocked Violet to promote names that are more original than that, since it seems that Violet is the default name everybody gives to their purple Pokémon.

Its similar to rape in spanish and portuguese if i recall, alsosome forms of slang that again go all the wat to rape.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.