• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The game would not let me use "Cho Cho San" for a female Butterfree. I don't know why it wouldn't let me. That is the name of the heroine in Puccini's famous opera Madama Butterfly which is my personal favorite opera. Is adding culture to nicknames really that offensive?

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
GameFreak might as well remove the ability to nickname the Pokémon altogether.

I think that's a better solution than censor 99.9999999999% of the names.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I think ORAS's name blocking system has gotten worse.

I wanted to call my Secret Base Team Avian Alliance, but it blocked out the word Alliance. What gives Pokemon? >.<;

That is really awkward. I don't see anything in the word, but I have a strong feeling it's something from a foreign language.

The game would not let me use "Cho Cho San" for a female Butterfree. I don't know why it wouldn't let me. That is the name of the heroine in Puccini's famous opera Madama Butterfly which is my personal favorite opera. Is adding culture to nicknames really that offensive?

Chocho is Spanish for "pussy" which is pretty much, a swear word.

Flavia

In XY I wasn't able to call my Fletchling/future Talonflame "Murder Bird", presumably because it contained the word murder or something?

I can't name my Deoxys Space AIDS, but removing the space to make it SpaceAIDS suddenly makes it fine to use. Also Ebola is fine to use as well.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
That is really awkward. I don't see anything in the word, but I have a strong feeling it's something from a foreign language.

Your probably right. I tried to find the part of the word Alliance that would be censored, but couldn't figure it out..

Ebola is probably accepted because it is a newer event and Gamefreak has been working on this game for 2 years+

cheesevolt

I thought of an "in your face" solution for nintendo. Name all your Pokemon slang and swear names that arent on the banned words page of bulbapedia, such as name on b*ttpl*g. Because thats not actually banned.

Creyk

I was surprised that I can't name my pokemon "Violence". I mean come on, the whole game is based on violence. What kind of hypocrites

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Couldn't name my Numel "Rat a Tat" which I thought was really strange. But it accepted "Rat-a-Tat" which I found stranger.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I think ORAS's name blocking system has gotten worse.

I wanted to call my Secret Base Team Avian Alliance, but it blocked out the word Alliance. What gives Pokemon? >.<;

..wait a sec. You can name your secret base?

Sky patrol here I come ^u^

Mega Typhlosion

I never nickname my Pokémon offensive nicknames. The worst I've done was to name the rival "STUPID" back on RBY and GSC when I was 10.

I really don't mind the censor and I'm glad it's working so well. I'd rather have a censor that prevents me from calling my Weedle "Spike", than a censor that stops "You Gay" but not "YouGay". Those who complain, just be happy that there is a nicknaming feature. It's not like GF is forced to include that, they do it because it may be fun. People abuse it, so they had to censor it. How'd you feel if you reached your kids games and found dozens of Pokémon called "Nazi", "C*nt" and so on?

Don't complain, just name it something else ;) They did well with the censor. The "Spike" and "Tumbleweed" names are just collateral damage that can't be helped.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
How'd you feel if you reached your kids games and found dozens of Pokémon called "Nazi", "C*nt" and so on?

I wouldn't mind it at all, I do swear a lot in my YouTube videos and also real life. Because I know that swear words are for the most part just filler words.

You can only be offended by them if you CHOOSE to be offended by them. Most people who watch my videos really don't mind that, in fact I get 1-3 comments a year from people complaining about the fact that I swear a lot.

Those who complain, just be happy that there is a nicknaming feature. It's not like GF is forced to include that, they do it because it may be fun. People abuse it, so they had to censor it.

I do see where you're coming from, this doesn't affect me personally as I never nickname my Pokémon.

But really the fact that people abuse it doesn't excuse when words that aren't even considered swear words in the slightest get banned. That is beyond stupid.

And no the fact that it's a swear word in another language is not an excuse, we play it in English, not any other language.

XlordgoldX

Hi 5s & stage dives
Don't know if this was brought up yet, but the "nickname banlist" includes the naming of your boxes in the in-game PC as well as nicknames. I'm sure(not 100% sure) this extends to any other field your allowed to enter text in the game. The other night I was organizing my Omega Ruby PC and I wanted to put all my Pokemon that I use for the over world into a box and the PC wouldn't let me name it "HM Slave". I understand how the word slave has a bad connotation, but it is rather silly I can't name my own PC box, that nobody besides me has access into besides me. Eh, better than nothing right?

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Don't know if this was brought up yet, but the "nickname banlist" includes the naming of your boxes in the in-game PC as well as nicknames. I'm sure(not 100% sure) this extends to any other field your allowed to enter text in the game. The other night I was organizing my Omega Ruby PC and I wanted to put all my Pokemon that I use for the over world into a box and the PC wouldn't let me name it "HM Slave". I understand how the word slave has a bad connotation, but it is rather silly I can't name my own PC box, that nobody besides me has access into besides me. Eh, better than nothing right?

That is ridiculous. I still am mad at these morons who think it's a good idea to censor all these words.

They make me so angry.

Ninfia-Fan

That is ridiculous. I still am mad at these morons who think it's a good idea to censor all these words.

They make me so angry.

Would you like for children to be shouting out swear words and insults as they play the games and command their pokemon? Game Freak would come under fire immediately from parents. Also, if you were to name your pokemon 'n*gga', for example and you battled a person who that name insults, how do you think they'd feel? It would essentially be cyber bullying, especially if you're playing online.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I tried to name a Pokémon a name with numbers in it and it said I couldn't give it a name with more than 5 numbers in it for some reason o_O.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Would you like for children to be shouting out swear words and insults as they play the games and command their pokemon? Game Freak would come under fire immediately from parents. Also, if you were to name your pokemon 'n*gga', for example and you battled a person who that name insults, how do you think they'd feel? It would essentially be cyber bullying, especially if you're playing online.

I'm not talking about words that are swear words, I'm talking about words that aren't swear word in any way shape or form.

These should not be blocked.

Last edited:

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
I cannot named my Horsea "Shooter" (which I can see why) Yet I can name my Zangoose "Crimson Fuker"

Status
Not open for further replies.